Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Metroid Prime Varia Suit

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
octokitty polycounter lvl 14
Hey Everyone! It's been a while since I've posted here, but I'm back now and working on something I've wanted to for a long time. I'm making a high def version of the Varia Suit from my favorite game, Metroid Prime. This is the first time I've ever made a fully-armored character, and although mistakes have been made and I didn't do things quite the way I should have, I'm really happy with how this is turning out.

One thing I know I need to work on is bringing up the polycount! I'm always trying to keep things as low poly as possible, but now am realizing that's not as necessary these days. That's why some areas of this are more dense than others... Anyway, all that's left to do now is the texturing!

Low-poly with normals and AO (16089 Tris)
kJ81Y4F.jpg

High-Poly (Zbrush)
BrTcuoP.jpg

Wireframe
HIfDfcJ.jpg

Replies

• Narlyteeth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Narlyteeth polycounter lvl 5
    Very Nice Samus Suit. I wouldn't worry too much about the wires if you are not making it for mobile. So want to see her in UE4 or Toolbag2 with Textures/Materials. Good Job!
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Hoo I love it ! Can't wait for the textures man !
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update! Still need to finish the shoes, cannon, add some lines to the forearm (completely forgot until now) then put in a face. And I need to decide on whether I should keep this super clean like it is, or dirty it up a bit... Shouldn't be too much longer til this is finished!

vu56Kfg.jpg
  • FelixL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FelixL polycounter lvl 4
    It's looking good! But the legs need more curves. Right now they are too straight, the upper thighs are too long, and the feet are too big, which makes her look a bit masculine. I would try an ffd on the legs and tweak it just a little bit. Slim the legs where they meet the feet, elongate the lower legs slightly, make the feet smaller. Give the inner upper thighs more of a curve.
    I have a WIP of her ship in my portfolio, we should do a collabo :P
  • FelixL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FelixL polycounter lvl 4
    Transparent_Samus_Metroid_Prime.png
    Here's what I mean. The legs are longer and slimmer, making the suit look more feminine.
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    Looking great so far, dirty it up though, its will be much more interesting that way
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FelixL wrote: »
    Transparent_Samus_Metroid_Prime.png
    Here's what I mean. The legs are longer and slimmer, making the suit look more feminine.

You know what, I actually followed the proportions of the original model exactly, I found a model sheet and used it as my reference. So I think it's just perspective that is making the legs look long in the image you attached. I'd change mine if I wasn't sure, but I am! :) Thanks for the feedback anyway! And I think a collab would be awesome, your ship is looking really nice!
  • FelixL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FelixL polycounter lvl 4
    Varia_Suit_Render_Gene_Kohler.png
    You're right, the proportions are the same. But I think the official marketing material has been overpainted, or the model may have been adjusted. I remember that the model looked chunkier in cutscenes or the scan database than on the cover art.
    I also have the First4Figures statue, and the proportions are the same too, it's just posed in an extreme way.
    Maybe you should rig her up and do some poses as well. I hope I'll be able to get an ingame version of the ship done soon!
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @FelixL - Well I'm gonna do my best to make this look awesome. I'm definitely gonna rig her up and try some cool poses with some perspective! Still got lots to do before I get to that point, especially if I'm gonna dirty this model up, but I can't wait to finish this! I'd love to have a scene composed of your ship with my Samus!
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the "base" texture and added other details I forgot. I still need to add some weathering/damage so it's not so clean and a spec map!

40m7Tf9.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    very cool so far!
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    Colors to this are just so nice, mind posting some texture flats
  • Roxxor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roxxor polycounter lvl 9
    Overall good work, but the arms are really bugging me. The ref material shows that the arms are flanked on both sides by rounded extrusions, but there is a clear cylindrical part in the center that shows where the arm is flowing down. Your arms have both rounded blobs almost touching. It makes the arms look very strange.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    I see some weird pinching around corner of the shoulder "ball" area where it changes from a bigger rounded shape to the inner shape. Once you throw a spec on her and tweak the textures some more, like really differentiating the power suit underneath (yellow) and the varia suit on top (orange), it should be spot on.
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @GrungyStudios - I will post flats once it's finished :)

@Roxxor - That was a design decision I made cause I thought it looked better. Sorry if it bugs you, but I think I'm going to keep it!

@garriola - Yea, there is a bit of pinching, I wasn't able to figure out how to fix it! Hopefully it won't be too noticeable once it's finished.

Thanks for the comments!
  • FelixL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FelixL polycounter lvl 4
    Looking great! I have a few crits though:.
    Overall, the model looks like it could use a few more triangles to get rid of waviness in the cuts and grooves. Many of the edges/bevels are too sharp/tight and don't really read as well as they could when baked to the normal map. You also have a few things missing that were in the original, but I believe you already mentioned those.
    Can't wait to see this finished!
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey FelixL, thanks for that feedback! I'll see if I can add a few more polys to get the waviness out. It's weird, some of that only shows up in Marmoset and not at all in Maya. I don't know if I'll add/change any of the stylistic stuff because I did make some of those changes on purpose, like the wider lights on the chest. And some is so minor I'd rather not do a bunch more work to fix it. But the critique is great, thank you so much for taking your time and drawing those notes up for me! :)
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update. I added a bunch of detail to this and the texture is pretty much done, I still need to fix a couple small things and make a spec map. I also figured out the issue with those squiggly lines, apparently Marmoset likes triangles... I triangulated the model, and re imported into Marmoset and the squiggles were gone! I still may add more geometry around certain parts, like the shoes and back of the calves. So, unless there are any changes I should make, I just need to finish rigging and pose! I also want to add in some sort of ground for this, don't want her just floating there! :)

LikMtOY.jpg
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    How are you making the textures? I've been watching a bit without commenting ... nice work :)
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! The texture is a mix of ambient occlusion, hand-painted highlights and shading, texture overlays and then the scratches were mostly done with a special brush in photoshop. I'll be posting my texture maps when I'm done!
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update for tonight! Finished the spec map and played around with Marmosets presets for fun. Now I think I'm ready to pose :D

9RGKk40.jpg
  • FelixL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FelixL polycounter lvl 4
    Looking great! Looks like I need to hurry up with my ship :X
    I'll go ahead and start a WIP thread this weekend.
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks FelixL! I'll definitely be watching your thread :)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is it weird that I liked it more like 2 images ago?
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Pedro, I think maye that's because of the lighting? I've been trying different lighting presets in Marmoset and the one I used in that image has a little red in it, not so much white like the last two.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Pick a neutral sky in Marmoset so that the diffuse really shows. Right now, the lighting is flooding your mesh a little too much. Keep it up
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That makes sense, it should be more about the texture than the lighting. I'll keep the lighting more neutral in future posts, thanks!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    i gotta say, i admit with pedro.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2135215&postcount=11
    in this post the colors felt really nice, even if the specularity/gloss maps were absent. it feels very true to the character. whereas your current iteration seems a bit washed out, and the post process is kind of killing it.

to be honest id prefer to see the simple/clean look over random scratches/dirt all over the place. what might help give some interest is some reflections in the metal like this http://wallpaperus.org/wallpapers/09/237/metroid-samus-1920x1080-wallpaper-2426099.jpg
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is pretty much finished now! If anyone has any advice on a better way to render/present this, that would be awesome. Maybe it's good as is, but I've been looking at it so long I'm not sure!

kWTDgRq.jpg

And here is my texture map for anyone interested (I resized it from a 2048 to 1024 so it wasn't so big here)
    99nwRpb.jpg
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should've known posting at midnight would get this buried! Anyone have any comments/critique before I call this 100% finished? Any better way I could present, or is it good as is? Thanks!
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    It feels a little washed out. I don't think the lighting is doing you any favors. Maybe check out some setups demonstrated here.

http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/character-lighting
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, I will look into some better lighting then! I haven't played around with any custom lighting in marmoset yet, just the presets. Thanks for the link!
  • BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    I have two things to say. The texture itself, while good, looked better all clean. Your scratches are too noisy. It really brings down the quality of the texture. I would go back and try to be more logical with your damage and weathering. The second thing would have to be the pose you currently have. It doesn't make much sense for the bad ass that is Samus Aran to be standing there looking at her hand. Look up some of the promotional images that Nintendo used, and go off of those.
    MP3-Samus.jpg
  • KyleReeceHall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleReeceHall polycounter lvl 11
    Great work lovely coloring.
  • mvhaitsma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mvhaitsma polycounter lvl 2
    Great work! I love me some Metroid.

I would have to agree with BobtheGreatII, I think the model presents better with a clean texture... but that's just personal preference, as I usually make stuff a bit cleaner for my own stuff.

Keep it up!
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Also, it's important to note what materials the different parts of the suit are made of. Different materials reflect light and show wear differently. The way it is now makes it feel like the entire suit is one material.

For example, you can see how the wear on this bronze is not grey and the specular is not white.

1_6_4.jpg
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback!

BobtheGreatII - I don't know if I want to present a perfectly clean model. I'll see if I can make the scratches seem more realistic, but I like the idea of it being a bit worn/weathered. As for the pose, I get what you're saying, but I really like this pose. It was taken from a Dark Samus pose http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080204044508/metroid/images/7/77/Dark_Samus_MP3.jpg, and although it might not seem to make sense, I think of it like she just acquired the Varia Suit and is checking it out.

LRoy - I hadn't thought about changing the specular color, I'll try what you suggested and see if I can differentiate between materials better. Thanks!
  • FelixL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FelixL polycounter lvl 4
    Is this your diffuse map? If so, why don't you try it PBR style with the diffuse being black and the color going into the specular?
    I always assumed her suit to be painted metal and not plastic. It seems you have a greyscale spec map and all the color painted down to the diffuse. The texture looks very nice, but in the rendering it doesn't seem all that realistic. I also agree with the previous comments about the weathering. A few carefully placed, bold and readable damage areas are better than the uniform, noisy, soft scratching you have right now.
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    very cool, nice work.
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FelixL - My spec map is grayscale, and you are right about it not looking right. I'll add color and see about making it look more metallic rather than plastic. I'll see about reworking the scratches as well. Thanks!
  • Huile d'Olive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

I'm just looking for a high quality model sheet of the Varia Suit, with like t-pose of front and side views, but I can't find one...
    Can you tell me what did you use to make yours please ?