Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Necromancer - Debut Character Feedback

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
apllana polycounter lvl 8
Hi Polycount! I’m 21 and I don’t want to „work” for another day in my life. Today marks one year since I unofficially started to teach myself game art production and I am very proud to present my first finished realtime character.

LATEST:

The latter is an old render in Zbrush with placeholder hair and skirt. I have spent more time on this than I would like to admit but eventually I did move on.

The character sits at 1684 tris for the scythe and 16904 tris per total. I realize now that geometry is very „cheap” and I could have aimed for better surface fidelity, but I should probably leave that for my next project.

It would mean the world to me if I could have some feedback and reinforcement. I don’t mind going back as long as I am making steps towards improvement. Thank you!

Replies

• PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Two or three things jump at me. One is the anatomy of her thighs; its proportion and form. The skull mask doesn't look as nice after the baking. What animal skull is it, btw ? The hat doesn't read as good. Is it made of latex ? And lastly the pose. I can't think of when or why would someone wield a scythe like that.
  • tahakitan
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    personally i like the hat. they thighs are kind of large on the top of the knee cap also think. I know your going for a fit female and she should have muscular legs but the strand of muscle usually gets smaller the closer it gets to the kneecap and yours does not. the skull needs more work with the normal mask to give it a skull feeling. but I think it is awesome work. especially for your first character. great job and keep at it.
  • ClusterOne
    Offline / Send Message
    ClusterOne polycounter lvl 4
    I'm not really a big fan of the choice of physique but hey, to each his own. The thighs do seem a bit over-exaggerated but your overall the forms look really convincing. The material definition in the lowpoly beauty shot is rather lacking, but the high poly looks great. As a another self taught artist coming up on his first year (3 more months for me), I think you are doing amazing! I'll definitely be following your work.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I quite like the physique to be entirely honest. I'd suggest against sculpting your hands in a pose like that, though. I can only imagine the problems that could cause when rigging and animating.

On my phone, so keeping this brief: your textures lack detail, they feel very flat color-ish. Could use a lot of work.
  • Edrice
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    I think the modeling is good enough, but your textures are too simple. You should put more work into the textures than a flat color and an AO map, your model would look a lot better.
  • apllana
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for the comments, everyone. When I sculpted her thighs I was aiming for something similar to this, but I will concede that they are both a bit exaggerated. Regarding the pose, it was inspired by this Vindictus screenshot and I don’t think it should necessarily reflect the fact that she is ready to fight (as in “wielding” the scythe).

Now on the cattle skull mask I would like to understand better what am I missing because I don’t think there is any loss in detail, if only because I am a beginner. The textures certainly did suffer some post-bake modifications, but imo they were for the better. Here is a side-by-side comparison between the highpoly and the final object, with and without key light, in case that might be the problem.

VPh2uzP.png

I have already started doing a texture pass and I will update soon. Thanks again for the comments and I will try to put them to good use.
  • mr_ace
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    hey man, this is really solid for your first character, it's well sculpted and you seem to understand the worflow.

the biggest thing holding it back at the moment is your textures. Presently, they mostly appear as flat colours with some ambient occlusion/baked lighting info overlayed over them. This makes the materials look a bit undefined and flat. if you try and look at some other texture examples of the amount of detail other people put into the diffuse you'll understand better.

you can try painting some variation and highlights in photoshop, you can also use polypaint in zbrush to start your textures off, use some photographic overlays to help define materials, paint in dirt, details, damage to clothing etc. skin has a lot of variation to it, it's not simply 1 colour.

the second thing is your render. I would try using some sort of realtime rendering engine, ie a game engine or probably more suitable would be marmoset 2. it's very straightforward to use, will get you much more used to setting up realtime shaders, and will alllow you to make your character look better

like i said this is a great character for your first finished project, and you can easily improve it a lot with some tweaks to the textures and the render, best of luck
  • GrungyStudios
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    Look at those muscular legs! She definitely squats
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    my thoughts:

1. holyshit dem thighs! she's got very male bodybuilder type quads going on. i don't have a problem with muscular or defined women, but this doesn't fit the rest of the character.

2. in what way is she a necromancer exactly? she looks more like a goth chick at halloween or something... other than the mask there's no real indication that she dabbles in the mystic arts at all.
  • apllana
    Offline / Send Message
    gGlSKxz.png

Here is a quick update on the texturing process, so please let me know what you think. Ignore the small lighting glitches as the scene is not quite there yet. Next up is resculpting and painting the skin details, which I suspect will be much more difficult.

@mr_ace, thank you for your feedback. I should say all shots including this one and except the highpoly were rendered in Marmoset 2. You are right, it really is very intuitive and I picked it up in no time. In fact, I am quite happy with the shader I made for the stockings.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Ooh, shapin' up nice! Her leather undies still need a bit of work... But skirt.
  • apllana
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! I probably should add some noise there on the normal map, but as you said, it will be mostly covered by the skirt.
  • TomDelboo
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDelboo polycounter lvl 6
    This is really good for a first character. Being self taught and in only one year.
    Strongest point is the hipoly in my opinion.
    Texturing was a lot less good. But I see you are still working on it. And the last result shows improvement! I like the stockings. It`s not noisy and reads well.
    On the skull, it was the harsh drop shadow wich made it look weird. But I hope to see an improved texture on this as well. Weathering and damage can make the skull and the whole piece really become awesome.
    keep going!
  • apllana
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress has been really slow over the last couple of days, but I think I am almost done with this character. I will give it another couple of days to incorporate any new feedback so please let me know what you think.

• BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Looking much better!
    Skin on her torso is still a little flat, though, try to get some reds in places where blood would be close to the skin, yellow in bony places, a little blue for vein-y and fatty deposits (loose guides, not rules. Fatty areas can be yellow/white tinged if excessive, and also this is all super subtle). Giver her some moles, bumps, cuts, scratches, a bruise... just something to break it up!

Perhaps have a look at getting an anisotropic shader going for the hair as well, and render on something a little lighter for your final-- hard to make out some forms.

Still, all that said, this really looks a ton more "finished" than your first post. Good job!
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Looks good, but her tensor fasciae latae is very inflated as it approaches her illium.
    wVNyoMbV
    For example, check this one out.
    gTFWM6kx
    But then again, this is a more fit person than your model so I understand that there could be more curve, BUT as the TFL approaches the illium, it decreses in size, espcially someone with a muscular femoral region.
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Looking good ! But my crits will be more on the design. For now she looks a bit "basic", she need some jewellery, a spellbook, some bone charms... equipment.
    Also, the full black attire looks to simple, you could put some dark colors on the corset for example, with decorations on it...
    Hope that helps =)
  • Aga22
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    i like it very much. lovely proportions. the skull/mask doesn't really work from the side though. and i agree she needs a couple of accessories. a bracelet or a necklace, chicks love their accessories.
  • tierzilla
    Offline / Send Message
    tierzilla polycounter lvl 9
    i really like it , it migth be good to make the background ligther
    very nice mat definition.
    congrats!
  • apllana
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you everyone for your constructive comments. I feel infinite.

@BagelHero, I appreciate all your support. I will update soon with the much needed improvements. I will be finishing this character while working on this month's character challenge.

@TomDelboo, Probably the biggest disadvantage of being self-taught could be the lack of external critique, but I am very glad that's no longer an issue. Hope you'll like the subtle improvements on the skull.

@garriola83, Thank you for your insightful input. Although the area is mostly covered by the skirt, I will address the issue if only for the sake of learning, which is actually the very purpose.

@Abrvpt, I am very surprised that nobody mentioned this earlier and it is something I've been worried about since the beginning. Perhaps I should have left the concepting on more capable hands, which is why I decided to join the character challenge.

@Aga22, You are absolutely right about the lack of accessories, but could you be more specific about the skull?

@tierzilla, You have no idea how glad I am to hear that the textures are no longer shite.
  • Anchang-Style
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    i feel like that, if you with thighs like this inspired by that picture (rather fit / muscular girl) her shoulder and arm region could be a lot more defined.