Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

city

Replies

• corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anybody on this forum know the concept designers of World of Warcraft and their portfolio sites?
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Work so far. Trying to improve my continuity for more steady results.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    bro you need to learn the basics before doing all this, make these textures from scratch, learn about modular textures. You're making something big way too soon.
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey AlexCatMasterSupreme,

I am deeply concerned with your critique. It is obvious that I am a beginner in 3D production. Could you please expound upon your advice of "learning the basics"? I do have a plan to re-do my textures, as they have all been haphazardly placed. I tried my best to make the building according to the concept and I am aware of a lot of issues regarding the consistency between the two assets. I am dying to know what "the basics" are. I do plan on redoing my textures (which will take a while), and thanks for mentioning to make my textures modular; as for the most part they're. I love bad news, it helps me to ask better questions in the future. In regards to your comment about "making something big way to soon", well, I don't have a clue as to what you're talking about; could you please elaborate? Not only for me, but for my readers so they can learn too?

Thank you AlexCatMasterSupreme; I'm hoping to learn from everyone. I would've felt unfulfilled had you let me off easy. Finding quality critique-rs is hard to come by. Your critique left me speechless other than the initial reaction,

As I always do, I bow my head and say, with deep respect,

Thank you for your time, knowledge, and advice.
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A...Alex? Any backup advice?
  • ClusterOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ClusterOne polycounter lvl 4
    A...Alex? Any backup advice?

He's basically saying: start out simple. The asset you chose to build, a house, is composed of several intricate pieces all with varying materials. Instead of trying to build an entire house, try starting with a door, a window, a simple asset that will give you a chance to really push the envelope (especially in terms of textures).

I personally agree with Alex, you are stretching yourself pretty thin on this project. You are clearly improving but its probably more beneficial, time-wise, to work on a simpler asset. Right now your overall product is mediocre--I think if you had focused on a smaller asset and really refined it, you would have a pretty nice finished product to show off. That being said, if you enjoy learning that way--I see no problem with it at all, you just might not learn as fast. I personally have my own bad learning habits so I can't point fingers.

Your textures are your weakest point right now. If I were you, I would take a quick break from modeling and just focus on texturing until you get a good hang on it. Try to make clean, convincing textures, don't worry about tailoring them to an asset until you actually have the concept down.
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

I am confused about the high poly to low poly modeling? Or the low poly to high poly modelling? I was wondering anybody knew which is best? I'm seeking to learn how mud box works via the internet. Unfortunately, I cannot afford the top quality tutorials out there. Maybe I'll go to digital tutors.com? Also, I cannot afford Zbrush-even on a student discount. Essentially, I am saying I don't know the production flow of getting a high poly normal map onto a low poly asset or is it the reverse where you make a high poly mesh (for me, in mudbox) and shrink down a version so that it fits into a low poly object that has come from the high poly object?

Any help comes with a sincere thank you,

Cory Kanakis
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Your textures are your weakest point right now. If I were you, I would take a quick break from modeling and just focus on texturing until you get a good hang on it. Try to make clean, convincing textures, don't worry about tailoring them to an asset until you actually have the concept down."

I agree to take a break from modelling since texturing is my weakpoint. In giving your generous advice, I do not understand what you mean by "tailoring them to an asset until you actually have the concept down"? What does it mean to have the concept down before texturing? I am very confused.

I would be sincerely in your debt for any knowledge on the misunderstanding,

Sincerely,

Cory Kanakis
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know I already talked to you in PM but I thought I'd also say, I started 3d with digital tutors and it's great for learning tools and such, maybe not the best for game art. I would start with the intro courses and then work into more complicated ones, 3d motive has more game art tutorials which i would do many of. When I was starting out I would do a month or two of tutorials and a month or so of applying what I've learned and always doing something small. Just do things that you know you can do well instead of big things that intimidate you or you don't know how to approach. Make sure you understand the scope of the projects before you start as well. Not saying you have to do exactly what I did but simply letting you know how I learned.
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you good sir.
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok,

So I think I can make this concept happen, but for me it might take longer than the previous building. I have autism, so I learn and work at a slower pace. I hope this doesn't hurt me in the future. Also, I am taking grad courses at the academy of art university in San Fransisco, even though I live in Florida. I am planning on making each part of the concept normal mapped with some sort of high to low poly/transfer maps happen. How long would it take a professional to do a piece like this? Anybody know? I'd appreciate it.

Here's looking forward towards a good production,

Cory Kanakis
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ..................I don't want to sound like a pussy, but I'm too intimidated by this. I'm going to find something more my size.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    if you want to try something else why dont you do what Clusterone was suggesting and start out with something smaller than an entire scene or building eg a door or a window or a sofa etc? its much less time consuming and teaches you valuable skills and when its done you have something that you can be proud of and that may give you confidence to try something larger or more complicated.
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged,

You're absolutely right. At first sight, the concept looks simple, but after I broke it down into pieces...it sort of scared the s*** out of me. As of now, I am officially looking for smaller projects that are less scary and are not as time consuming or scary and intimidating.
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kind of Rusty. I may or may not bring this into 3d because it doesn't look to good. I haven't done one of these in years, literally. Haven't had the time when you're doing 3D down to the wire.
  • corykanakis2
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    How about you pick something that has a bit more substance than that? The concepts you choose are basically ...nothing really. Either this age old drawn house or this...whatever it is. Don't want to be rude but choose something in which you can determine shapes, flows and see whats going on. Then go down the steps necessary.
    1. Block Out
    2. High poly
    3. Detail
    4. Low Poly
    5. UV
    6. Bake & Texture
    7 Drop into Engine
    But most important: Do yourself a favor and choose something with more form. Sure this broken church might have been the other extrem but maybe start with an object rather than a full blown scene?
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style,

You're right. I am becoming a prop artist. That's where I am starting now. Here is a simple pillar I got from some moonscape. I don't know who the artist is, but I was drawn to the simplicity of the concept. I am working on it now. I do not know mudbox and I cannot afford Zbrush just yet; I am still a student and am very poor. Anyway, this is sort of a progress report. Do I take it into mudbox now or keep adding dents, weathering, bumps, embroderies, etc. ?
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you everybody for the advice. I am becoming a prop artist now, hopefully in a few years I'll graduate into becoming an environment artist.
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anybody know if the uvs have to be perfectly assembled before export into mudbox? I think I just answered my own question....I'm unsure.
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having trouble importing into mudbox. What is happening here? Anybody know?
    Preciate it. Greatly.
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys, fellows, and good sirs,

This error keeps coming up and I don't know what it means in terms of fixing it in Maya 2011. I am using mudbox and I am an ametuer. Any help is greatly appreciated and respected. Thank you.
  • AshuraDX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshuraDX triangle
    I know that error message from mudbox - everything that follows here is my theory of whats happening so take it with a grain of salt - it seems that mudbox welds vertices within a small radius to avoid duplicates and sometimes it fucks up on that leading to this error
    I usually get that error when importing meshes that are not modeled watertight, for me splitting them into sepperate meshes and importing them one by one usually fixes this error - since your mesh looks watertight an alternate way you could try to fix this would be upscaling your mesh in maya to 1000% and then sending it over.

EDIT : what may work aswell is subdividing the mesh inside of maya once before taking it over into mudbox this saved my ass from this error a few times aswell
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your words AshuraDX, I'll put them to good use. There seems to be multiple ways of doing it.

Sincerely,

Cory Kanakis
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anybody know what the error message means? I am trying to transfer a High poly to a low poly mesh and this error keeps popping up.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Sincerely,

Cory Kanakis
  • ClusterOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ClusterOne polycounter lvl 4
    It can't bake maps unless it knows what its trying to bake information from and to. Make sure your source mesh is set to your high poly and your destination mesh is set to your low poly.
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Up until now I have never fully understood how long it takes to make one simple asset. All the glitches, requirements, UV mapping, and editing. Also, texturing takes quite a long time. I've been working on this block for days now and it's not finished.
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anybody have any insight into fixing these glitches? I keep running into problems. The UV's are as clean as I can get them. I went into far detail with the geometry and UV mapping and yet I get all these errors. What is going on here? If anybody gives advice, I'd be highly greatful and would include deep respect.

With sincere regard

Cory Kanakis
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is getting ridiculous now.,......
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Good Sirs,

I was wondering if anybody knows how to stop the rounded edges from happening when I sub-divide the mesh? It would be great if somebody knew how to resolve this conflict.

Hope everyone is having a good day,

Sincerely,

Cory Kanakis
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never mind. I found the solution. You need to have edgeloops closely surrounding the edges of the mesh. Amateur mistake.
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I took a few steps backwards to learn mudbox and it is actually a simple and effective method for normal map creations. I'm actually going to take the Fable 2 concept into pieces and will continue working on the weakpoints from a few steps back so I dont have to do alot of editing.
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The cellar is going to go into mudbox soon, hopefully, maybe. I still need to figure out some things in Mudbox.
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was wondering if anybody new of the hotkey for making a straight line sculpt for the creases in between the wood planks? I'm dying to know.

Signed,

BOston George
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a problem. I'm hoping there is a mudbox pro out there gracious enough to impart some knowledge and tactical information or advice on getting out of this huge hole I've dug for myself. I can't seem to extract a normal map from mudbox. As you can, hopefully, see, I want the black creases to be predominant in the normal map. Plus, I don't know how to use the existing texture to make a normal map out of the inherently looking creases in the texture file that's attached to the cellar doors. The whole thing is supposed to be a cellar. Also, I'm not sure if overlapping UV's is ok in the prop production pipeline. I'm hoping to get a prop artist job to start out in the industry. I'd be truly grateful for any expert help or opinions on the direction of my work.

The Sincerely Grateful,

Cory Kanakis

PS- I can't afford good quality mudbox tutorials online. That information should be free. My message is a basic message for someone's help.
  • Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    Well, you will need to sculpt the creases in, but it's hard to tell because of the textures you have applied to the mesh.

"Plus, I don't know how to use the existing texture to make a normal map out of the inherently looking creases in the texture file that's attached to the cellar doors."

This part is a bit confusing. Normal maps are used to transfer sculpt information from high poly meshes to very low poly meshes. At no point does the diffuse/color/albedo texture come into the equation. Have you done any sculpting to the mesh yet?
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I brought the texture in and stenciled over it. My computer sucks, ramping up the sub=d's sometimes crashes my computer, but hey, that happens all the time anyway. Thank you good sir for confirming that I need to add the creases in by hand; that is going to take some time. I just thought I could bring in the texture and have mudbox somehow sculpt in the darker areas on the texture map. My goal is to get all the texture depth out of the texture without having to hand sculpt in the minutia creaves. I don't know if that's possible because I am new to mudbox. Hope things are cleared up a bit. Thanks for your help. If anybody else has something to say, then please share; I'd be grateful.

Sincerely,

Cory Kanakis
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man I would go and do some more tutorials before doing this. One i would do a tutorial on the full asset creation pipeline, and then i'd do one on how to make stuff with tiling textures. This scene if very stylized and I think you'd want to sculpt all these textures rather than photosource them.
  • Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    You mentioned that you want to do Blizzard's style artwork. Doing pure hand painted work would actually be a lot less technical (no sculpting) and I feel like it would be beneficial to learn that first. That stuff pretty much requires a tablet though, do you have one?
  • AshuraDX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshuraDX triangle
    to sculpt a straight line in mudbox simply create a new curve object along your line and snap your brush to it

in mudbox 2015 you can also right click a created curve and let mudbox stroke along the curve using your current tool , pretty much like the stroke path function in Photoshop you will need a few subdivisons to do that though

EDIT : I just took a look on your screenshots and it seems that mudbox 2011 is missing the curves :/ you could try using the steady stroke function for your brushes to create straight lines

Otherwise I'd suggest adding a bump/height channel to your material and paint in black for recessed and white for elevated ares - you can then covnert this bump map into a normal map and merge it with your finished normal map
  • corykanakis2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You good fellows,

I can't thank you all enough for your advice. Is it me, or is texturing the hardest part of the process? Anyway, I appreciate all help and look forward towards working with you good fellows in further issues.

Sincere Regards,

Cory Kanakis
  • joert99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joert99 polycounter lvl 14
    I was wondering if anybody knew how to create edge loops across the major model face as well as how to fix the distortion in the doorway? Should I add more edges? Could somebody please help? I'd greatly appreciate it.
  • joert99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wondering if anybody knows how to extrude an edge in 3d max; I'm having a hella-of-a-time trying to model the same way I do in maya. I like Maya better for everything, but 3d max is industry standard, I have to learn it sooner or later.
  • Holland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holland polycounter lvl 9
    Why not start by following a complete intro tutorial series?

3dmotive have a pretty good series on 3ds Max and they go through some basic asset creation too.

http://3dmotive.com/series/complete-intro-to-3ds-max.html
  • joert99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think 3d max just sucks
  • joert99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I fixed it by pushing a bunch of random buttons on my keyboard...
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Youngy798 polycounter lvl 4
    pressing random buttons is probably going to do more bad than good :D
  • joert99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • joert99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know, Max for modelling or Maya? I"ve been using Maya for 10 years now and have come close to it. Picking up 3d max is a bitch, but you gatta learn it and do it.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Maya is used just as much as Max from what I've seen so go ahead and use what you like.