Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly CHARACTER Challenge | September 2014 | Zilean / Chakram Assassin

Replies

• Orange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orange polycounter lvl 4
    Looks like we all decided to post around the same time XD

@fefs It's looking solid there. It's got a lot of likeness to the reference.

@pyrZern The details are turning out really nice. You've made me regret not sculpting the metal wings now. I may go back and do it once I'm done retopoing :P
  • Fefs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    @PyrZern Thanks! I'm sure your will be very cool too! (You just have the patience that I don't to do all the retopology)

@Orange I have to learn the basics with blender some day....never used before, but you have the ability O.o! Thanks, I'm trying to match the same colors and details of the paint style

Next challenge I will try to do some retopology....but I still think it's so hard to do right the edgeloops that way...

now I going to sleep x.x" good work for you all! (yeah we are all working in same time, it's cool!)
  • ClusterOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ClusterOne polycounter lvl 4
    Haven't been able to spend much time on this one but here's a small update.

sV8ACHw.png

5uUuv55.png

Still not happy with the facial structure. I foresee a lot of tweaking on the horizon.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    @ClusterOne Isn't that too much of a baby face ? Short eyes, very rounded face, and quite shallow cheekbones. Would love to see your update though :) Your sculpt looks so clean !
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    PyrZern wrote: »
    And here's my progress. This dude has so many small details #_# I'm not gonna retop/hardsurface all of them. They are so small I doubt it would look much different after the baking.
    f3zg6fH.jpg

Nice work on the modelin, but the character still looks like a young man rather than an older man in the concept. Look for more references of older gentlemen and really look at how the skin starts to sag around certain areas and fatty deposits that get left behind. Also the older one gets, the more bone definition will show up so look at your brow region, nose and lower eye region for again effects. It would behoove you to revisit your head sculpt. Good luck.
  • Orange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orange polycounter lvl 4
    Alright here's today's progress:

Almost done retopoing. Need to do the hands, and then all the ornament pieces.
    2014-09-12_1755.png
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    devingeesr polycounter lvl 13
    @PyrZern Looking good man there are a lot of details on that guy. Hopefully I'll have to good progress to post.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @garriola83 Working on it ^^ I still can't get that old man pointy nose look. Will keep trying though.

@Orange Looks good. I can't really comment much on it. But I think you won't have much problem with it.

Unproductive day today for me :( Mostly only worked more on his face. Still not done yet. But I'm already wondering how da heck am I gonna do the lowpoly... Like his hairs and beard. And braids that go around all over the places. It will either look pretty crappy, or it will use a lot of Tris count. I don't want this to go up in the 60k tris range #_#

Oh, and I'm gonna totally steal the idea of him having an opened hood on his back :)

zXDMcY1.jpg
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    @garriola83 Working on it ^^ I still can't get that old man pointy nose look. Will keep trying though.

@Orange Looks good. I can't really comment much on it. But I think you won't have much problem with it.

Unproductive day today for me :( Mostly only worked more on his face. Still not done yet. But I'm already wondering how da heck am I gonna do the lowpoly... Like his hairs and beard. And braids that go around all over the places. It will either look pretty crappy, or it will use a lot of Tris count. I don't want this to go up in the 60k tris range #_#

Oh, and I'm gonna totally steal the idea of him having an opened hood on his back :)

zXDMcY1.jpg

You kind of missed the mark on the braids. On the concept they are flatter and wider yet rounded and the knots don't protrude as much. It looks essentially like thick flat rope. For those, I would use long flat boxes that you could use modularly. For long hairs such as the moustache or eye brows, you could bake the high onto a long plane and paint on the alpha for its transparency. The beard could be a bunch of planes with transparency on them, hairs dont really need a bake, just look up how to make normals for them. This honestly could go as low as 5000 tris if you wanted to, but I would shoot for 15-20k tris for presentation. Just don't over model the low and think how you can reuse some parts already there.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Maybe this could help
    uG68BWeD
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @garriola83 Nice ref I'm going to have to use that

Here is my last update until Monday. Trying to get all the ornaments on the clothing out of the way before I add the folds and stuff in. I still have to do the belt, the wing thing and the hanging ropes.I have good topology on all the meshes so I should be able to get the game mesh fairy quickly. Let me know what to change. Hope you guys have a good weekend!

zilian_06.jpg
    zilian_07.jpg
  • Nevermind1567
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nevermind1567 polycounter lvl 9
    guys, speaking of wizard's face, don't you think he's asian or something? )
    Peter%20Sellers%20-%20The%20Fiendish%20plot%20of%20Fu%20Manchu%201980%20scene.jpg
    and the proportions... if you want your model being close to the sketch, notice how small his head is.
  • Orange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orange polycounter lvl 4
    Woohoo! Hit my polycount, and I'm 700 under budget

2014-09-13_1831.png

@devingeesr Those details are amazing. Looking forward to seeing more.
    @pyrZern I like that you're adding bags to his eyes. I may suggest inflating them a bit to add some puffiness.
  • Fefs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    Today I was thinking that was going to finishing 2 or more parts, but I have problems with bake polypaint in xnormal.....strange is that all the other things work perfectly and the color map stuck, in xnormal the polypaint map baked just in a grayscale tones, I pass more time trying to discover what got wrong and still don't get it....it worked with other models >_<

So in the end, I painted the map in PS....just losing of time....

2jfh9g.jpg

@Orange Cool you are going to make some adjusts or now its time for textures?

@PyrZern I really want to see how you are going to make the retopology work....but I think too that you can make it going down....I'm now with 13k, but I don't do the braids yet neither mirror all the things x_x" hope it will be enough

@devingeesr Wow....its very good, his face makes me remember of the magneto in x-man movies XD
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    I'm pretty sure i won't finish on time this month, i ended up picking up some other projects that get me paid and those with my other job means i have time for nothing.

i'll still aim to finish it though.
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Nevermind1567 Yeah I will make some adjustments when the clothing is done.
    @Orange Thanks man it took me long enough I though it should at least look decent. You mesh looks super clean I would like to see those wire frames
    @Fefs You don't know how much that makes me feel about the quick sculpt I did of the face because Magneto/ Gandalf was the reference I was using for the face. :)

Anyway I hope you guys are enjoying your weekend!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @garriola83 Thanks man! I will work more on his face like you pointed out. And really nice ref there.

@Nevermind1567 I suppose so, yeah. Kinda Asian looking wizard dude :P Though I'm not really good at hitting likeness at all :P

@Fefs Weird. I never got polypaint/vertex baked in greyscale before. You sure you uncheck the 'Ignore Vertex Color' right ?

No real progress from me :( Busy day.
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kay-vonlanthen polycounter lvl 7
    ClusterOne wrote: »
    Haven't been able to spend much time on this one but here's a small update.
    Still not happy with the facial structure. I foresee a lot of tweaking on the horizon.

looks good, great so far! to me it looks a little too roundish at the moment. maybe work on that :) unless you want that type. but since the concept is a slim woman i thought it would be good to give her a face lift : )
  • Busterizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Busterizer polycounter lvl 5
    Small update - I had some time to work on this for a weekend i redid most of the topology that I had, now stuff is much nicer looking overall but entire body will probably be complete around Wednesday, depending on what amount of time I find. No images this time, unfortunately since it would look practically the same as before (small differences give or take). I will try my best to finish this in given time frame, if I do not succeed I will stiil finish entire thing after the challenge anyway.

@JadeEyePanda
    Thanks for the shader i appreciate it. Very helpful.
  • Defunct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Defunct polycounter lvl 10
    wow everybody's busy. I can't finish mine either I'm moving across the country to a new home.
    SWomDQZ.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Many of us will most likely have to extend this to next month as well :P

@Defunct Keep going man! I feel for you though. I hate moving #_# a.lot.

I tried making the braids again today. But after a few tries, I think it's gonna be best looking and easiest if I do it in lowpoly only, with nDO for normal map.
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Orange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orange polycounter lvl 4
    Alright, finished unwrapping, and I've started baking. Totally confused by blender's material system so far, but I'm making some headway.

2014-09-14_2132.png
    2014-09-14_2133.png

Does anyone know a way to batch bake normal maps in xnormal? I have all the hipoly meshes loaded, and the low poly, but I don't know how to associate each one?
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never done the batch baking. I just bake em one by one...
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    There's an xnormal batcher somewhere in the Technical Talk subforum. :)
    Dunno if it's what you need exactly but... there you go. Hope it works.

But when you just want to load multiple hi/low meshes, they should associate in the order of the list: first in the high poly list>first in the low poly list, second in the high poly list>second in the low poly list etc. I remember that working for me at some point, but it was during Petrol Blood at like 4AM so take that with a grain of salt.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    devingeesr wrote: »
    @PyrZern Don't give up yet here is a tutorial that might help:
    http://artforgames.com/infotuts/tutorial-braided-hair/

Oh interesting. Have to try that now :P I will try a modular braids I guess. So just one in highres, or just a section of it, then the rest all in lowpoly.

Small progress. Will zoom in on his face next time. What do you think of the hoodie I added in ?
    GYxoYUY.jpg
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    one thing that irritates me is that at your sculpt pyrZern, the hair gets very thin at the neck area which makes the head pop out and the beard appear a bit weird. Also in the concept the head appears rather small and seems to disappear in a mass of hair. in you sculpt the face is far more dominant than the hair. I would blow up the volume of the hair massive. And then i think you done need the hoodie any more to make the back more interesting, though i think the hoodie looks good :)
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kay-vonlanthen polycounter lvl 7
    Defunct wrote: »
    wow everybody's busy. I can't finish mine either I'm moving across the country to a new home.

wow nice expression! i love it and hope youll finish it. looks promising :) kudos
  • Orange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orange polycounter lvl 4
    @BagelHero that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks :)

I started playing with ddo. Great program, totally need to free a ton of space on my ssd. I kept running out of disk space and had to start over.

Anyhow, here's some playing around. Took it into unity:
    2014-09-15_2221.png
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @skodone You mean hair in the front or the back of the neck that gets too thin ?? But I agree with you completely, more and bigger hair !! But I like the hoodie :P

@Orange Awesome. I haven't really touched any game engine at all. I probably should, though !

And... I gave him more braids <_<" This dude is full of braids, lol.
    assani-duongsaa-zilean-015.jpg
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    PyrZern - you still haven't fixed the forehead. It transitions into eyebrows creating those bulky, ugly forms. Also if you want him to look older you need to show it in major forms not by adding wrinkles.

The cloth folds can be improved in some places by substracting some material. Some of those folds look like you just painted them on the main form. If you don't balance cutting in and adding you get this effect.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i meant the hair in the back :)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, more puffy hair in the back 'round neck area ? or like some extra hair strands there ?
  • Fefs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    Hey! I just finished detail my most bigger part now, but probably I will make some adjusts yet (the head is too round) and paint (and really really hope to make the polypaint bake work this time, because its a lot to redo >-<) what do you think?

x5tdhc.jpg

@PyrZern *_* What a perfect hair love it! But the forehead looking this near is really strange O.o....it's an alien O_O...make it more smooth or move it back a little. And yes, I uncheck the 'Ignore Vertex Color', that never happened before and I still looking in google if something like that is mentioned but nothing

@Orange The materials looking so amazing with that....I have to try it someday. I want to see how it will be finished, you are speeding up it!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Fefs Glad you like the hair :) You might need something to hold his sleeves up to his armpits. I give my dude something like a vest to keep his sleeves up.

Worked mostly on his face. I hate myself for hating anatomy T_T Still not exactly sure about the forehead transitioning into eyebrow thingy. Could really use more help on that.
    vM9c04W.jpg

Basing on Prince Charles for reference.
    Prince-Charles-014.jpg
  • lukazguzman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lukazguzman polycounter lvl 5
    Hello, there!
    I fell from bed this morning and felt like going on with this one... not sure I'll make it with the complete model... lots of work the next few weeks... but! I want to at least have the model done!

ch_sept2014_3.jpg
    ch_sept2014_4.jpg
    ch_sept2014_5.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments everyone! This is such a great way of polishing personal work!

@PyrZen, thank you for the girl reference, it was really helpful.

@Orange, I haven't heard of Ddo! Looks nice! I'll give it a try if I manage to get to that point after I model and make the low poly!
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    @Fefs Glad you like the hair :) You might need something to hold his sleeves up to his armpits. I give my dude something like a vest to keep his sleeves up.

Worked mostly on his face. I hate myself for hating anatomy T_T Still not exactly sure about the forehead transitioning into eyebrow thingy. Could really use more help on that.
    vM9c04W.jpg

Basing on Prince Charles for reference.
    Prince-Charles-014.jpg

vM9c04W.jpg
    Prince-Charles-014.jpg
  • D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    Gah! if only i knew about this thread sooner! I've been so busy trying to find a job that I didn't even notice

Well its not too late! I'm going to go for a low - mid rez of the chakra girl. Best of luck!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The challenge re-occurs every month :) Though it seems this month many ppl will have to extend the deadline.

@garriola83 Thanks a lot for the visual. I am starting to straighten up his face planes, so far it looks better. Also pushing in some parts of his face as well.
  • Fefs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    @lukazguzman The clothes is going very good, but you have to work in the face a bit more....it's a little manly for a girl

@garriola83 The help you gave to PyrZern is helping me too, so thanks!

I tried to correct the anatomy, but I don't made so many details in the face because the concept don't have it, and I think the paint will help to define the character more than this...So now I'm done with the detailing in this part for sure...

Now I'm testing the colors and I'll try to bake before a test...If works I finish in zbrush, if not I don't go to lose my time again and go to ps.

But for today is over....good night XD

Keep hard work!

2e3pmir.jpg
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    realized I have not posted this week so I wanted to post a small update:
    zilian_08.jpg

@Fefs I feel like the belt is to tight at the top, it should be wider towards the top
  • Orange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orange polycounter lvl 4
    Bleh spent some time redoing the UV's, and I'm finally getting the hang of using ddo properly. I'm going to go back and redo the material ids again, and pack my UV's tighter. Here's a ss of how things look right now.

Not very satisfied with the results tbh, but I'm okay with that since I'm going to redo all of it one more time.

2014-09-18_2059.png

As you can see, there's an awful seam down the middle. Gonna end up redoing the face uv's though. Anyone know any good examples of great uv maps?
    2014-09-18_2103.png
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pyrzern

also did some paint over what i meant with the hair.
    i also realized it looks strange because he has no ears
    and basically his cheeck hair has to be super long and is
    attached to his main hair :D
    and you also did some hair at the sides of the neck where
    people usually dont grow hair.
    I also puffed up teh main hair to 3 big strands, as there are
    in the concept.

2zrnio7.jpg

i hope you can see what i mean
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, his ears aren't really visible in the .... wait.... shlt. A bit of his ears actually are visible in the concept art !! OMG, this changes everything now! I gotta restart from square one...

You're right. I also actually just removed his neck hairs as well. Now that you point out the ears, I'm gonna change his sideburns a bit. I'm a bit lost on the shape/volume of his hair, and taadaaa, thanks a LOT for the paint-over ^^ Just in time.

I will post updates tonight.
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool :)
    feeling good that i could help
  • Fefs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    It is fact....polypaint texture hates me or xnormal does (probably zbrush, because all the others maps bake fine). Or it`s all in grayscale or the texture appears with all the colors in parts on different places....so lets do it in ps....

Later I post the image
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another update:
    zilian_09.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @devingeesr Somehow that reminds me of Monk in Diablo 3 :P He seems really strong there. Awesome man.

Quick and dirty update. Gonna resculpt his hair tomorrow. It's been pushed and pulled around too much atm :P Gonna change it so that his hair don't taper down around his neck.

Still looks pretty feminine though. Dang it T_T

jJyGeZX.jpg
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe a broader chin and more edges in the faceplanes?
    but it looks a lot better now :) if you add the cheekbeard noc he will be
    a full hairy wise guy!