Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A Classic Old Column

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
venay polycounter lvl 4
Only recently that I got the hand of all the advanced texturing techniques and all the different maps and stuff.

So i made a column as a practice,
○ Blender for making the base mesh, Unwrapping and removing the seams from textures buy using double UVs.
○ Zbrush for sculpting the details and decimating the high poly mesh
○ xNormal for baking of course
○ Knald to generate some maps (cavity,AO and convexity)
○ My old buddy Photoshop for texture creation.
○ And marmoset toolbag for visualization

ALL CRITICS ARE WELCOME

Column.jpg

Replies

• venay
  • kmactastic
    Offline / Send Message
    kmactastic polycounter lvl 8
    Textures are excellent. For the model why not have more uniform geo? You could have rings going around where each stone segment is. You would probably pull your tri count way down too.
  • venay
    Offline / Send Message
    venay polycounter lvl 4
    kmactastic wrote: »
    Textures are excellent. For the model why not have more uniform geo? You could have rings going around where each stone segment is. You would probably pull your tri count way down too.

I agree, I didn't give the retopology a fair chance and the tricount could drastically drop. But what i did was a decimation in Zbrush with very low decimation quality for a fast result.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    If this is going into a portfolio and you're trying to break into the industry, using the argument "...for a fast result." doesn't show employers that you understand limitations and how to effectively overcome them.

If this was just to experiment with ZBrush and decimation master and you have no intent of showcasing it for a personal portfolio, the material looks very good.