Home General Discussion

New ZBrush @ZBrush Summit

Replies

• Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    some kind soul uploaded the day 3 pixologic demo, in case you missed it.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=r01toIcnFl0&list=UUz9ClJrjuztSZP-mLQl42dA[/ame]

That array thing might be huge for env work and tileable sculpting, been really pining for a better workflow that allows for quick concepting.
  • Anthony
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony polycounter lvl 2
    It'll certainly make architectural stuff easier.
  • Inhert
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    Was there any new features that they showed other than the poly modeling tools and nanomesh? I missed it today :\.
  • Anthony
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony polycounter lvl 2
    they showed some new array (cloneing) tools that seemed very fluid and fast.
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Inhert wrote: »
    Was there any new features that they showed other than the poly modeling tools and nanomesh? I missed it today :\.

Array Mesh
    Surface noise improvements (Mixing multiple noises together, better preview etc...)
    Repeat Again-Where you have a hotkey to repeat the last stroke, which is already in zBrush, but added an option to do it where the cursor is located on the model.

They also mentioned that there were some changes to the transpose tool, but never got into it.
  • MeshModeler
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    anyone got vi of the array mesh?
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    anyone got vi of the array mesh?

Its at the beginning of the YouTube video that Fuiosg posted.
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    didnt get to see most of yesterdays summit, was there a releasedate announced for r7?
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    I dont think there is a release date for it yet.
    Kind of disappointed there are no updates regarding polypaint, layers and the rec thing and no improvements regarding the way you can manage subtools but I am also pretty happy about the 64bits :)
  • WarrenM
    I think the modeling tools are exciting and will be a great addition for people who want to stay in ZBrush at all times. But I can't help draw parallels to the retopo tools ... they're there and people were excited when they came out. But who does retopo in ZBrush on a regular basis?
    /?
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    WarrenM wrote: »
    But who does retopo in ZBrush on a regular basis?
    /?

People who have never tried Topogun/3D coat and Sado masochists!
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    m4dcow wrote: »
    They also mentioned that there were some changes to the transpose tool, but never got into it.
    The Transpose line can now be automatically centered on the object.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I think the modeling tools are exciting and will be a great addition for people who want to stay in ZBrush at all times. But I can't help draw parallels to the retopo tools ... they're there and people were excited when they came out. But who does retopo in ZBrush on a regular basis?
    /?

I'm sure a few do, but its been completely overshadowed by the amazeballs that is Zremesher. Its probably do to the fact that a large chunk of the zbrush userbase wants to show off a still or turntable of the sculpt, where as the game people are thinking more along the lines of map data and usability attached to it, and that requires the retopology side.
  • dr grim
    disanski wrote: »
    I dont think there is a release date for it yet.
    Kind of disappointed there are no updates regarding polypaint, layers and the rec thing and no improvements regarding the way you can manage subtools but I am also pretty happy about the 64bits :)

I agree. I knew nothing drastic was coming down the pipe, porting to 64 bits is already a challenge in itself. Without a doubt it's going to open a whole world of possibilities for Pixologic and for users alike. Waiting is the hardest part for us, that beta cannot come soon enough.
  • Gestalt
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    The low-poly tools really impressed me. As someone who uses zbrush a lot my mouth was literally open in astonishment when they started poly modeling out of nowhere. It's exactly the type of thing I wanted and what they needed to do at some point. There was a void in zbrush's capabilities that needed to be filled and it seems they did a pretty damn good job at it.

It'd be one thing if zbrush were just tacking on some basic poly modeling tools to check off on the list of features, but these tools are actually pretty impressive on their own and surprisingly extensive. They seem to be more intelligent and fluid than in most of the other aps I've used, and they're well integrated with the current features. That's something I've always liked about zbrush, the flow you can get into and the flexibly you have.

I don't know what people mean when they're complaining about giving pixologic their money again since all the zbrush updates so far have been free. It was actually a major marketing point for them in the past. Given that this is still version 4, I'm assuming this update would still be free, although I'd be fine if there was a cost in the future. Zbrush has been by far the best software investment I've made from when I bought it (the price was even a little less then).

Maybe people aren't fully comprehending the implications of having a full suite of intelligent modeling tools paired and integrated with the current zbrush. First of all, for the obvious improvement, there are so many times when working on a piece when some parts would benefit from clean poly modeling with subds while others more organically sculpted. Little bits and pieces of outfits, twisting bits of drills and railings, ornate pieces that benefit from very precise control of edge sharpness, there are so many times when jumping back and forth between apps is just a pain in the ass, not to mention all the files and mess you can get.

Having as much of the process as possible in one app is ideal, as long as you're not super limited by how the app handles things (which is looking pretty good so far).

There are also other implications. The poly tools mirror new ways of defining polygroups and new workflows for defining polygroups as you're building the model. We have new things, like nanomesh, that directly compliment being able to poly model right in zbrush. Using a mesh like a lattice has long been a mentality in zbrush and now you have an extra dimension of flexibility, things like using the polies to define the distribution of many detailed meshes, and the developers seem to be fully aware of these possibilities and are running with them. http://youtu.be/C3KK9ym-F84?t=46m49s

People are quick to laud their excitement for 64bit (it's an obvious improvement), but the new subd methods they show are running very low poly counts while having clean results from the new dynamic subd. Improvements in efficiency are equally important. There's really so much that people here aren't giving credit to...
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Some of it is kinda cool. But most of it isn't super impressive. My opinion may change once I jump in. I would rather have seen a Zbrush 5. +1 for 64bit, though.
  • vargatom
    Yeah, the ability to directly manipulate mesh components - verts, edges etc. - along specific axes is kinda necessary for the tools to work. Until they can solve that, it'll still feel like you're working while wearing a 1-fingered glove.

winter-gloves2-s3-medium_new.jpg
  • Harbinger
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    I think the sub-D tools look kind of neat! I doubt I'll ever do any serious hard surface modeling in ZBrush, but for many people in Zbrush's market I think it fills a big gap. Lot's of people do their work start to finish in Zbrush and these features are great for them.

A 64-bit version was at the top of my wishlist, so I'm super pumped to see that coming down the pipe. Now I'd gladly fork over another $500 for Zbrush 5 if they overhauled the UI and did a pass on all the existing features to make it more production worthy.

Get rid of all the fiddly little sliders, abbreviated button labels, put in some actual worthwhile tooltips, streamline the UI, make subtool management a top priority.

In terms of production, there's just so many little annoyances and hiccups to run into. Things like how Zbrush deals with (or doesn't deal with...) scale, .obj exports with bad geo, dynamesh resolution (scale issue again), crashes, noise looking nothing like the preview once you apply, etc. I love Zbrush and there's no app out there than can do some of the things it does. But for every time my jaw drops and I learn some cool new technique, five minutes later I'll run into something dumb and shake my fists at the heavens and yell, "DAMN YOU ZBRUUUUUUUUUUSHHHH!!!!" :)
  • Velktri
    Offline / Send Message
    Velktri polycounter lvl 6
    vargatom wrote: »
    Yeah, the ability to directly manipulate mesh components - verts, edges etc. - along specific axes is kinda necessary for the tools to work. Until they can solve that, it'll still feel like you're working while wearing a 1-fingered glove.

Go into the Transform palette and change to your desired axis under modifiers. Is that what you were looking for?
  • Super
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    They really have got to stop focusing on "add add add" and re-address some of the rather serious bottleneck and workflow obstacles. Subtool management, proper layers, perspective, orientation, etc. These really are not things we should be requesting this deep into an applications existence.
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    they`d be stupid to release mayor changes to known features in a 4.7 version. If they do so they`ll do it in 5

Its easy to complain about new features being added but you need to realize all of the thing we`re so used to today like the subtools were new features too only a few years back and you got all of that extra functionality for free
    The guys over at pixologic are focused on intuitive tools and if they notice that in this release those tools need adjusting then they`ll do so. (they really arn`t autodesk)

I do want to see those basic things like subtool management addressed but i really dont like people denouncing tools and features before they`ve even tried them.
  • donofdon
    Offline / Send Message
    donofdon polycounter lvl 2
    The two presenters are irratating
  • JustMeSR
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    donofdon wrote: »
    The two presenters are irratating

Why so? The work looks cool. They show it in actual workflow. Plus "Transpose line in the center of the geometry...hold my chair!":)
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6

winter-gloves2-s3-medium_new.jpg

that isn't a one fingered glove, thats a mitten with a thumb.

this is a one fingered glove

120209-one-finger-mittens.jpg
  • vargatom
    Velktri wrote: »
    Go into the Transform palette and change to your desired axis under modifiers. Is that what you were looking for?

No, I want to be able to select a single vertex and just move it. None of the brushes are good at that.

Also, having to switch to a tab to constrain to an axis is bad; I know you can customize the GUI but still, it's like the stone age.
  • vargatom
    I guess the definition of 1-fingered glove depends on your mother language. English isn't mine.
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    they`d be stupid to release mayor changes to known features in a 4.7 version. If they do so they`ll do it in 5

Its easy to complain about new features being added but you need to realize all of the thing we`re so used to today like the subtools were new features too only a few years back and you got all of that extra functionality for free
    The guys over at pixologic are focused on intuitive tools and if they notice that in this release those tools need adjusting then they`ll do so. (they really arn`t autodesk)

I do want to see those basic things like subtool management addressed but i really dont like people denouncing tools and features before they`ve even tried them.

+1 While these features may not be exactly what we are all were hoping for I think it's important to remember that Pixologic's culture has always been about innovative new ideas. Not every instance of exploration will be gold. But it's important that they continue to do these sorts of things as it will eventually push the industry forward.

While I agree that Zbrush can indeed at times be like modeling with mittens on, I'm really hoping that what they've shown is the first step in fixing that.
  • Treece
    Offline / Send Message
    Treece polycounter lvl 3
    No, I want to be able to select a single vertex and just move it. None of the brushes are good at that.

Also, having to switch to a tab to constrain to an axis is bad; I know you can customize the GUI but still, it's like the stone age.

Have you tried reducing your draw size to 1 and use the Move Tool? You'll find you can move single vertices.
  • MeshModeler
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    anyone know where i can find all the zbrush summit recordings?
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    They didn't post any vods on their livestream page, but you can find a lot of the individual sessions on Youtube.
  • inflict3d
    Offline / Send Message
    inflict3d polycounter lvl 7
    nobody recorded the Ubisoft session :(
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I'm actually still a bit salty that they did not officially release the videos from the the different sessions. I'm glad that some other channels stepped up to release them, but after the awesome stuff from last years Siggraph when they released pretty much everything, that is what I was expecting. I got a chance to tune in for some of it but I couldn't watch all of it since I was busy with the kiddo most of that weekend.