Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Assault/Anti-Riot Mech

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
PatTl92 polycounter lvl 6
Hey Polycounters,
working on a portfolio piece.

It's an assault/anti-riot Mech, from an PMC or Security Company, like Belltower from the last Deus Ex, not sure about this now.
I'm thinking about this because I'm toying with the idea of creating some Troops/Vehicles (Helicopters, Troop Transporter, etc.) for my Portfolio.

aYE4idx.jpg

tCXXrKS.jpg

jmHI5te.jpg

Replies

• Andyjonescreative
  • merc-ai
    Very nice silhouette and like the rear generator/wires. Looking forward to seeing the progress!
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
  • Kharn
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey mate, good start but maybe 2 gatling guns are a bit much for riot control. Maybe a water canon or something would be more appropriate^^
  • Bao92
    Offline / Send Message
    Bao92 polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good so far. Cant wait to see more :D
  • Maxi Keilich
    Hi Pat :)

I really like the design and silhouette of the mech.
    You already put a lot of effort into the details, but I'd go even further and add very tiny ones too, for example screws, bolts or some sort of air grilles.

As Ciril said before, the tubes look great. Add a few more here and there in varied shapes and sizes.

Really great work so far, cannot wait to see more :)
  • Ciril
    Offline / Send Message
    Ciril polycounter lvl 5
    Really cool man! I like the back with the tubes and stuff. Some tubes on the legs could be cool too, for the hydraulic or sth. like that. Just an idea =)
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Kharn: Well there are going to be hard riots in the future :D The two gatling guns a kind of deterrence and they could shoot rubber bullets too.

@Bao92: Thx Dude :)

@Ciril: Thx Ciril, cool idea. Have to look if some tubes fit in the knee joints, only place that looks appropriate for that.
  • Maxi Keilich
    Hi Pat :)

I really like the design and silhouette of the mech.
    You already put a lot of effort into the details, but I'd go even further and add very tiny ones too, for example screws, bolts or some sort of air grilles.

As Ciril said before, the tubes look great. Add a few more here and there in varied shapes and sizes.

Really great work so far, cannot wait to see more :)
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx Maxi :D, yeah I added too few will add some more.
    Added some hose in the knee joint, had to change something on the mesh so they wouldn't get squashed when the Mech is moving.
    Also working on the LP/UVW's , nothing to show so far.

ppQR9gQ.jpg
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    great mech love those smoke launchers, dont know about those hoses at the back, they are cool but, also they are quite exposed, to damage, but love it so far
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey RaPtoR_v9600, thx for the critics I appreciate it.
    I think I shorten them a bit and put them more against the body, so that they are not that exposed.
    For the Material I thought of something like Kevlar, Carbon fiber or Titanium, so that they are not that easy to damage.
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally I can post an update.
    Finished the LP (43k tris), UV ( 2 Texture Sheets) and baking
    Took me a little longer than planned but now I can start texturing :)

LP with Normal in UDK:

BpxBKhF.jpg

k4T9ptY.jpg

UjcEB4H.jpg

C&C is always welcome
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Polycounters, another update.
    Working on the textures, but now I'm at this point where I don't know how to push my textures further.
    I'm using Diff, Spec,Normal and Cube map, for the gloss I multiply the Spec with a high Constant.
    Any C&C would be great, thanks! :D

sQOPSKHh.jpg

E4k0ElWh.jpg

yhjHMJ2h.jpg

Pr5yY6rh.jpg

HqnYAUoh.jpg

BOH3KDgh.jpg
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    This is very nice but I wish I saw this earlier and told you to watch your edge widths/corners because they're coming odd to sharp and now I can't really see the transitions from one side to the other.
    For example...
    NormalMap?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=normal_edge_thickness.jpg
  • Ricemanu
    Great stuff mate! The edges are really too hard, get it right the next time :D I love it <3
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    @garriola83/ricemanu: Didn't noticed this :/
    Sad truth is I changed my edges after I saw this Pic the first time, it seems not enough. I'ill mind it more next time. Thx :)

Made an extra Gloss Map, much better now.

2zZY7BM.jpg

7FvTcfT.jpg
  • Ricemanu
    200% quality increase-the materials are readable very well now.
  • Amadreaus
    The materials don't read as much beyond spec on or off. I'd take another big swing and try to get a little more light interruption across major surfaces in localized and interesting shapes.
  • IsparticusI
    Offline / Send Message
    IsparticusI polycounter lvl 8
    very cool design! really like the concept ya made for this!

With that said tho, im kind of upset that no one had mentioned the edges any sooner, because i would love to see those edges really popping on your normal, but its almost as if there isn't even a normal applied, that's how tight your edges are..

As i believe someone had mentioned already, i'd also like to see some bolts and screws scattered through out. It's a mech, so obviously made of metal, therefore there's gotta be someway that its put together, not just plates slapped together. When your creating the design, really think about how things are "physically made" and put together.

With your current textures, the spec is obviously coming through alot better, but there is definitely more that needs to be pushed. With taking real life into consideration, im seeing alot of grunge and scrapes coming out of your diffuse, but then your spec seems to be flat.. When light hits metal, that's when main detail comes out (dirt, grime, grease from fingerprints, etc. etc.)

Generally when it comes to metal based textures, i actually like to start with my spec map because with how much light it takes, that's the number one important map.

Keep working at it! Don't give up :)
  • IsparticusI
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, the main thing that i wanted to say, i completely forgot! I'm not seeing anything in any of the texture sheets that are showing anything as far as an AO pass. I think that's another reason why its looking so flat, nothing is "popping" in or out. Try throwing that on top of your layers and see how that looks, should def help! I'll be watchin this to see where ya take it
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the critics and tips :)

The thing with the edges bother me allot ,so I made some changes on the model.
    First I smoothed the HP a bit more and made a new bake:
    8KOr4Az.jpg

But on the textured Version it didn't help allot, so I also added some Loops around the Edges and baked again:
    UxpaTSf.jpg

I think it's a bit better now, but next time I really pay more attention to this, so I don't lose time again.

Hm, honestly there is an AO pass, I check the opacity.
  • Fallen
    Offline / Send Message
    Fallen polycounter lvl 8
    That's instantly so much nicer. :)
    Well done for going back a revising the model, can be a bit dis heartening, but the results have been worth it
  • IsparticusI
    Offline / Send Message
    Fallen wrote: »
    That's instantly so much nicer. :)
    Well done for going back a revising the model, can be a bit dis heartening, but the results have been worth it

So true... but hmm, maybe its just hard to tell on your texture sheets. How do you generally set up your AO passes?
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Nice mech design!

I feel like you`re overall forms (not edges) are recieving light as if they are soft and pillowy. I am assuming this is due to the smoothing groups on the low having too much influence, over the normal map, and you end up with those doughy forms.

Back in my day *put on old man pants* we would have to break up smoothing groups on the model, in a way that would put minimal smoothing group errors into the normal map-

- but now, apparently there`s this

I`ve never used it myself, but I guess it makes it so you can have 1 smoothing group on the low poly for the whole thing, and the normal map it creates accounts for that, removing the soft pillowy look. Might be worth a go!
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx :)
    For the Ao I create an extra folder, set the folder to Multiply and tweak the layer opacity, but it was really kinda low ^^.

@konstruct: Depending on the results of the new bake I'll give it a shot, thx for the tip :)
  • IsparticusI
    Offline / Send Message
    cool. Cuz im not sure if you tried this or not, but me and several other artists that i know use this same technique..

1. bake out an AO pass from your high to low (along with your normal) in your exploded view (if you do it that way).

2. then bring together your low poly, combined and render out a pass without the cage, just the low.

3. play around with the opacity's of both. You get a good shadow from your hp but then get overall shadows from the prop as a whole.

Just a thought, could give it a try :)
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yes, I also work with two AO passes. Thought you only asked how I use the AO in Photoshop :D
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Polycounters, another update.
    Added more dirt, bolts, Glow Map for the tubes, tweaked the Visor texture and some other stuff.
    Think I could call this finish, but I'm open for more C&C for tweaking the texture :).

5GuzTOn.jpg

oQb06ag.jpg

717N52V.jpg

Again thanks for all the help so far :)
  • Ricemanu
    Love it, and dat glow :O
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
  • IsparticusI
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, yes and more YESS! much much better! ao shadows are much more clear now, edges can clearly be seen from your normls, good spec map comin thru with the dirt and scratches. and the bolts and plates are a nice addition to make it more life like! what a difference! good job man!
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot, your post motivates me :)
  • IsparticusI
    Offline / Send Message
    :poly124: Glad i could help!