Home General Discussion

Assassin's Creed Unity

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    adam wrote: »
    It was built in the late 1880's ;)

i think that's his point... the French revolution is dated between 1789-1799, and the Eiffel tower didn't start construction until 1897?
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    And maybe Adam's point is that you aren't JUST in that time period ;)
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    oh yeah the time distortion thingies...
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    playing on pc and i have not encountered any gamebreaking bugs yet.
    i don't even know what people are so mad about, this game is so massive and densly detailed, there have to be bugs.
    the game sometimes freezes for about 5 seconds i'd say once every 2 hours or so.
    and the game reliably crashes when you climb notre dame from a certain angle.

the glitches with people changing gender and stuff or floating have been in AC since the first one, so nothing new here either.
    performance drops sometimes just like in any other PC game.

so i don't realy get the hate, Batman Arkham Origins was way worse imo and people wern't flaming that like this back then.

also apart from that the game is realy fun, combat feels a lot more responsive due to the player and the enemies having less health.
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Ah, yeah haussmann buildings and "exposition universelle " should have ring the bell :D
    I just scrolled down and saw an "eiffel tower during revolution wtf", and as medias reported some distorsions with reality, i was confused...
    A politic here even started a polemic because of some liberty taken with"facts"
    Politics and video games, geez...
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Goeddy wrote: »
    pthis game is so massive and densly detailed, there have to be bugs.

Do there though? Plenty of games ship without obvious bugs.
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    ambershee wrote: »
    Do there though? Plenty of games ship without obvious bugs.

yeah but plenty of games are not as big and packed with detail as AC3.

no open worldgame i have seen has crowds as large as Unity, and the level of detail on everything is insane. i have to say i am very much impressed by what they pulled off here.
  • baalnazzar
    Maybe it would be better with less crowd and less bugs? I love the level of detail in this game, but crowd bugs popping so often kills immersion. I wonder how many ppl playing this game cares about how hard it was to make it. They want smooth unbugged gameplay. That's why I think it's better to make some compromise and spit it out less buggy so ppl don't complain.
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    I actually have question!

Blending between interiors and outside is awesome. What is really interesting to me how does scale of those interiors has been determined (and buildings in general). Because it feels just right.

I tried to make seamless interiors for my little 3rd person game project and I always end up with either of two things:
    1. Exteriors feels to big but interiors is good.
    2. Interiors feels claustrophobic but exteriors is just right. (that's when I try to use more or less real world scale).

I wonder how scale was determined for ACU.
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    iniside wrote: »
    I actually have question!

Blending between interiors and outside is awesome. What is really interesting to me how does scale of those interiors has been determined (and buildings in general). Because it feels just right.

I tried to make seamless interiors for my little 3rd person game project and I always end up with either of two things:
    1. Exteriors feels to big but interiors is good.
    2. Interiors feels claustrophobic but exteriors is just right. (that's when I try to use more or less real world scale).

I wonder how scale was determined for ACU.

i think they simply went with real world scale. usually what makes the most impact concerning the feeling is how the camera moves. in ACU the camera moves a lot closer to the character once you enter a building.
    baalnazzar wrote: »
    Maybe it would be better with less crowd and less bugs? I love the level of detail in this game, but crowd bugs popping so often kills immersion. I wonder how many ppl playing this game cares about how hard it was to make it. They want smooth unbugged gameplay. That's why I think it's better to make some compromise and spit it out less buggy so ppl don't complain.

that might be true, but you wont WoW anyone with delivering a bugfree game. the crowds definetly were a factor in hyping up the game and hype=sales. you can only encounter bugs once you actually bought the game so...
  • doc rob
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    This game is astonishing. The art and technology work together beautifully. I've only played for a few hours, but my mouth has been constantly agape. The scope of the whole thing and the attention to detail is hard to fathom. I'd say it's a must-play for any game artist.
  • The_Distiller
    I'm halfway through, it's really an astonishing game. We need a photo mode ASAP!
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    i finished this game on sunday.. gotta say, overall my favorite assassins creed game of all, and probably the most visually impressive game ive ever seen. controls felt a bit wonky at times when trying to climb/move over objects, but overall i loved that the combat felt more like the first AC, and that it was actually kind of difficult. personal score of 8.7/10 :)

also, looks like ubisoft is giving away free dlc because of the rocky launch (although i had ZERO of the technical issues playing the game)

http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/26/7294993/assassins-creed-unity-is-broken-so-ubisoft-is-giving-players-free-dlc
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    not just free DLC, if you already purchased the season pass (or gold edition of the game) they're offering you another free game, including farcry 4.
  • BeardyDan
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardyDan polycounter lvl 2
    That's a pretty sweet deal I must say.
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    Bha. I'm still waiting for fix on 15 min craashes on Windows 10. I mean really. This system is not different enough from Windows 8.1, to have such disparity 0o.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Well isn't Windows 10 still a beta OS yet to be officially released? I think that's pushing it lol
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    Well isn't Windows 10 still a beta OS yet to be officially released? I think that's pushing it lol

It's Windows 8 with start menu.
    Besides. Everything else works either just fine or slightly better on Windows 10, I don't see any reason why ACU should be exception here.

Especially since crashes every 15 min seems to be fairly easy to reproduce issue (start game on Windows 10, wait 15 min, crash).
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18

lol. There's more to an OS than cosmetics.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Just because the resulting changes seem small on your end doesn't mean there's nothing crazy (or just one line somewhere that causes compatibility related fuckery) happening in the back-end that could easily cause a game to bug out. You're using an unofficially released and brand new OS, I think you have to expect that sort of thing.
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    I expect not everything working. But I honestly did not expect crashing excatly every 15 minutes. That's beyond any possible error I can expect.

I still stand by it. It should work. There is really no excuse considering that everything else is working.
  • juniez
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    Besides. Everything else works either just fine or slightly better on Windows 10, I don't see any reason why ACU should be exception here.

Especially since crashes every 15 min seems to be fairly easy to reproduce issue (start game on Windows 10, wait 15 min, crash).

of course you don't see any reasons- you're a consumer experiencing an end result without any insights to the technicalities of either side

01148102a2.png
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah sorry Iniside, you're playing a game that was developed for windows 7/8, and wondering why it no worky on a beta build of an OS that even the developers probably didn't test it on.

this is the one time when the blame is entirely on you.
  • WarrenM
    It's an unreleased operating system. Sorry, but PEBKAC.
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait a second. Explain. Why everything else works just fine then ? ;s
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty, oh so pretty!
  • tadpole3159
  • martinszeme
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8

Luck maybe? People said that windows 8 was Windows 7 with different Start but in fact it had huge changes underneath. A lot of stuff was updated, changed and added for future releases.
    Anyhow can't blame devs for that one :)
    Props to Ubi for giving away a game and a DLC!
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Props to Ubi for giving away a game and a DLC!

It's not that great, to be honest. They're doing it because they've canned all of future DLC and revoked the season pass. I'm guessing the first DLC was close to completion, so they're still releasing that as a freebie. The free game isn't 'free' since it's being given to anyone who already bought the season pass in lieu of a refund - it's already been paid for (and digital goods cost nothing, after all ;) ).

It is probably the right thing to do though.
  • WarrenM
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18

It takes just one call change, to cause something to fail. It's possible Unity is utilizing something, that 'everything else' is not using. That one call, may cause the game to crash, because MS eliminated it, or changed the way that call works.
    It's unrealistic to expect any software to work properly on a beta OS. You shouldn't be using a beta OS, if you don't understand that.
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11

luckily the real paris isnt so buggy ;)
  • josephrohdes221
    I have dual GTX 970s coming in tomorrow. Boy I'm gonna have a lot to test with here. If it's anywhere near as good as AC4, then I'm sure it will live up to the hype, although AC seems to fall into the Windows mode, every other release sucks, while the others are great: AC2 great, AC3 sucked, AC4 great, ACU ???
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9