Home General Discussion

your first mod?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Archanex polycounter lvl 18
so I was looking at the quake 2 PMP models on the front page, and I wondered how many of the people who made these still post on polycount? So I'm making a thread.

What was your first game mod and are any of you responsible for those quake 2 models on the front page? I know a lot of you might be embarrassed to claim some of them, but who cares, it was forever ago, and I'm sure you're all way better now.

my first game mod was probably a custom pedestrian in Carmageddon 1, unfortunantly I lost him in a hard drive crash quite a while ago.

Replies

• greenj2
    Texture/sound swapping in Quake since I didn't even know what a vertex was. Anything from robot zombies to photo-sourced textures of my mates. Good times. :D

I also made a few custom vehicles for GTA 1. I'll see if I can hunt down some crusty old screen-grabs of them when I get home.

zombieterminator3d.jpg

Awww j-eah! :D
  • Xenobond
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Making sprites and level wads for Doom & Doom 2. Levels were fun. Making the sprites was weird at first. Didn't do much with that other than make zelda, metroid, mega man, star wars themed junk.

Used WadEd, Wintex & PaintShopPro ~4?

First pmp was for Q3a. made the skin for some anime guy called Sawata.

hurt me now
  • Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I remember making maps for Marathon 2, but they weren't good by any stretch of the imagination. It was the sort of stuff that I thought was clever at the time, like a map totally made of water.
  • leilei
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Tracks for Stunts/4D Sports Driving. 1991-1994.
    When I read this post back then, I went totally nuts and did more tracks for a year before going to doom with a copy of NeoPaint 3.0, DMGRAPH, DMAUD and DEU
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    CounterStrike replacement models, beta 3.5
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I did mostly Quake and Quake 2 skins as Ysgalon on 3dpalette until PaK lost the site to Han Solo in a game of poker.
  • TWilson
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    I made a whole bunch of quake 1 textures but all I could find on my hd right now was this one. I think it's mostly stolen and it might be my first attempt. It was only used by me and some friends anyway but it's fun to find!

2kgrunt.jpg
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I made a Rayman model for Quake 3. You know, he is a character which is very easy to adjust physique assignments since he has neither arms nor legs :) I used the animations of a Quake 3 character though can't remember which. I don't have the source files anymore.
  • IronHawk
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Dor Maeglin in NWN. Fuck that was a good time. I was the lead level designer and built a ton of areas. We did live world events all the time.

Still active to this day http://www.dormaeglin.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum.php

wish I had time to work on the port over to NWN2. Pretty sure the NWN1 version is still live.

http://nwn.bioware.com/players/profile_dormaeglin.html

we also got feature on Bioware's site a few times. We were and still are one of the longest running mods.

GOOD TIMES... man.. micro mmo's are the shit when you have good DM's.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    When I was 10, I didn't like shooting the dogs in Wolf3d, so I changed them to low-flying sheet ghosts.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know about the first mod but I took part in the Joust3D project that would have happened :( it was such a good idea. *misses it*
  • pestibug
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Joust3D? I worked on that aswell. Atleast, I remember making a highpoly, skeletal looking bird for it. shame I have no shots left of it anymore :( .

But my fisrt model was chtulhu quake3, big fun! Awesome talented ppl on that project.

My only ppm was for Quake3 called flamer. Man o'mule did the animations for it.

http://hosted.planetquake.gamespy.com/polycount/info/quake3/flamer/flamer.shtml

*continues down memorylane*
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    gtp.png

GTP for quake3 - ran the project as some dude called "terminal24" ;)

was a total conversion in the same vein as urban terror. I was quite interested in explaining our weapon system and fleshing out the back story
    almost worked out!
    archive of gtp.org.uk's "finger"
    some of the models in GTP
    Some ingame shots from a map I made
    05.jpg

We even asked people to contribute, funny page here

Jumped in on Fortress (quake3) as a concept artist before bobo smashed his way in with some great work.

Made a CTF mod called "biggahedz" - easiest mod I ever made, released onto planetquake and had a few people playing. http://planetquake.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Quake.Detail&id=53

some quake 2 maps, mostly shit really. But fun to make.
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    my very very first mod was counterfeit for max payne, which never really came out or got anywhere past having a web page on geocities part. then came this mod called Indecision for deus ex, man that was thebomb, that got me into modeling things, i don't think i ever actually made anything other than the site for it. then my first modeling mod was jungle warfare for UT2003, i just went on planet unreal and found the most popular mod and joined it... i think all i ever made for it was this crappy little sniper rifle, which i don't think ever actually got made. terrible!!! lol but i still remember those days being a ton of fun.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    The earliest stuff I did was tracks for Stunts FX (same as CheapAlert) and Deathmatch maps for Duke Nukem 3D. I used to throw in hidden rooms so I could always scam on my mates when we'd play over LAN or direct modem connection.
    My first attempt at skinning was Counter-Strike models, though they looked turds and never shared them :P I also did a skin for GTAIII to replace the main character to look more like me.
    Made my first character for UT2k4, though it never made it in-game. I was inspired to make one after seeing Pior's bunnygirl model (used to play as that all the time).
    The first mod team I was apart of was a UT2k4 paintball mod, which went nowhere. Then was some HL2 mod, which I think is still going. I did the texture for the first person arms and did a few concepts. Though I doubt any of it was used.
    I'm currently working part time on converting the first level of Duke 3D to the Source engine. Its not very far along :P

-caseyjones
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    first successful mod was called pearman.

actually got on the front cover disc of pc gamer and we got reviewed in the mag also scored 67 percent

characters were designed by my wife and modelled/ textured by me

pearwoman2.jpg

http://pearman.planetunreal.gamespy.com/

also worked on UTRON. not sure if the final version ever got released - site is gone now
  • Archanex
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    wow, great to see so many replies!

Caseyjones: your post brought back a lot of memories, I forgot about Duke3d and the lan games, I remember I tried to do stuff with....was it "Build.exe"? but I never got very far. I too made a few GTA3 skins, I remember I made one that looked like my brother so I could make fun of him when the hookers turned him down haha
  • Xaltar
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Wolfenstein 3d hahaha, I made a bunch of custom wall textures and maps. Man, back then I was so proud of my 386 and 100mb hard disk....

Messed with almost every game I ever played that there are tools for, hell, sometimes I think thats the only reason I even buy games these days.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Made some rubbish little maps for quake 2 and quake 3 and some skins back when I was about 15. I also compiled some funny little weapon mods for Quake 3 by following tutorials and stuff...I think I made a flamethrower using the plasma gun and the explosion animation haha. Never showed any of this to anyone except my close friends that were kind enough to play some of them with me on a lan. Ive always been drawing fantasy and scifi characters and storys/environments, 3D was just the next step :)
  • [MILES]
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    EARTHQUAKE somehow found me on the net and dragged me into the mod scene around 1998 or 99 as a texture artist. (I think he may have been like 14 or something and was as rotten then as he's ever been :) ). The only mod/tc I worked on worth mentioning was URBAN TERROR for QUAKE3ARENA. EARTHQUAKE was our lead modeler before he moved on and CRAZYBUTCHER was our animator and second modeler. URBAN TERROR was mentioned in a few episodes of TECHTV and there was some mention in gaming magazines. (So to a bunch of nonprofit newbs, it was the bigtime). iD SOFTWARE asked us pair up with the QUAKE3FORTRESS team to help lead a "mods" discussion at QUAKECON a couple of times. It was a great experience and I made a lot of good friends.

Modding lead me to POLYCOUNT where I could get my @$$ ripped open by insanely brutal/honest crits (sometimes I wonder if the crits were harsher back then or if I was just more sensitive), and later, back to QUAKECON, where I got to make even more good friends. So it has been a worthwhile adventure.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    miles, its a shame you didn't pursue your game career as you certainly have the skill.

perhaps you should consider freelance work as you can choose your time to fit around your own schedule. Thats the route I have chosen of late.

yeah, but mods are great anyway, its probably the only time you will ever have the freedom to do something creatively unusual and get involved in more than one area of game making.
  • [MILES]
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Ruz: Thank you for that very uplifting complement, Ruz. My career choices certainly took an interesting twist when my wife gave birth to a mega high poly work of art. But I haven't let go of the dream completely (as it might not be possible). I've still got a lot to learn, but maybe opportunities to freelance will come about someday. :)

I've sort of been following your story since the day I met you on these boards (starting off as a t-shirt painter..doing wildlife drawings and such...then into and out of various companies within the industry) Despite the ups and downs, it's great to hear freelance is working out for you. You've got tallent out the wazzoo! In fact, I've still got Pearman on my home PC HDD and a number of your textures in my "inspiration" folder.
  • RustyFranks
    Offline / Send Message
    RustyFranks polycounter lvl 17
    tracks and trucks in monster truck madness... played with quake 2 then took a break. got reinterested with quake 3. milkshape3d was the shit. then i kinda stopped doing anything artistic at all for many, many years... and now i'm back.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    cheers miles, nice of you to say. yeah pearman didn't work out as planned.

people just lost interest and I got a bit carried away with making it a multiplayer+singleplayer.
    mulitplayer got stuck on god mode:)

worked with some cool funny people like silus from fragadelic and nachmir/Kangus
  • Psyk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    First ever...i fiddled with code on an old DOS game.

Actual graphics modding: Duke Nukem 3D baby! mostly levels and UI stuff.
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    my first mod was called Half-life Street Racing
    116418ss_sm2.jpg

I created 4 cars for the mod until it got shut down because one of the coders copied the code from HL rally.
  • Mark Dygert
    I played around with Doom and Wolf 3D but never made anything playable. I didn't get that far until Half-Life came out. I started off with Milkshape3D and Wings3D then got into Gmax and 3dsMax4. In those early days I worked on two mods a Necromunda mod and a Warhammer 40k mod (Battle Ground 40k) We had actual playable vehicles before CS did players could join and man turrets. We also had continuous maps a lot like TF2 Hydro. Man that was a lot of fun and because of that mod I'm where I am today.

If you want to peek at the embarrassment that is those early days check it out here.
  • Keg
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    played around making a map for duke3d with custom textures, I wasn't thinking and kept making it larger than it ever should have been and caused a complete corruption of the level. After that I played around a little with quake 1 and maps. Did some modelling for Science & Industry for Half Life. Last real mod work I did was clippit for quake 3.
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    My first ever mod was some custom maps for Lode Runner. That was when I was 11.
  • CrazyButcher
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    first modding was quake1 level making, which I also did for quake2 to a degree (qoole).
    first model/animation work was replacing the minigun of quake2 with one that had actual barrels and shells flying (like turok). then quickly joined the "terror quake2" team and did models & animations there. That team also was about to make a KingPin mod, for which I had prepared character, weapons... that project died however but I quickly got into "urbanterror", as Miles mentioned. I don't remember exactly who recruited me there, but I wouldnt be surprised if it was young EQ for me as well ;). Did some stuff for counterstrike replacement models as well (just animation so).
    After urbanterror I got more into coding, and code-modded the opensource q2 engine to get a top-down game like snes jurassic park, called "jurassic terror" (keeping up with the legacy of having "terror" inside the games I worked on) with a costudent here at university. However I quickly turned to making own engine&game with another friend then, which is now the solid base for research and commercial non-game work I do.
  • S Hall
    Probably DOOM (the first one), building levels and messing with textures. Nothing real serious. I tried to get into X-Wing modding, but that was before I had any real access to the Internet and had no idea how to change 3D models around. I just ended up messing with stats and thinking how cool it would have been to build a custom X-Wing or something.

Kinda miss those days. Never have done any public / successful mods. Maybe one day.
  • Slipstream
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    One of those unfortunate enough to be caught up in the "lets make dragon ball z in half life!" wave. Started off in a mod called Fury of Cell, which sadly died only a couple weeks after I joined.
    Did pave the way to a bunch of other experiences which led me to my present career choice
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Black Mesa for HL2. I joined just before it officially started begining of 2005. Still working on it hehe.
  • Malekyth
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    This is an enjoyable thread. :)

My first was a few models for some Quake 1 fantasy mod. I wish I could remember, 'cause it was really fun. I believe (possibly incorrectly!) that Strangefate did the concepts for it. I remember learning how to model low-poly while working on that mod, by bringing a Quake 1 ogre into Max and duplicating it vertex for vertex. Fortified with knowledge and confidence, I was able to crank out some halfway decent models!

I just searched every drive and CD I have and couldn't find any of that old crap. Alas, it's probably long gone. I shall remember it fondly.
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Custom models in ut3 :)
  • leilei
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Malekyth wrote: »
    This is an enjoyable thread. :)

My first was a few models for some Quake 1 fantasy mod. I wish I could remember, 'cause it was really fun. I believe (possibly incorrectly!) that Strangefate did the concepts for it. I remember learning how to model low-poly while working on that mod, by bringing a Quake 1 ogre into Max and duplicating it vertex for vertex. Fortified with knowledge and confidence, I was able to crank out some halfway decent models!

I just searched every drive and CD I have and couldn't find any of that old crap. Alas, it's probably long gone. I shall remember it fondly.

It could have been the major playable mods:
    Fantasy Quake: Rise of the Phoenix (Late 97, most complete)
    Archmage (Late 97 also)
    Bloodmage (mid-99, probably not old enough)