Home Dota 2

Zipfinator's Workshop

polycounter lvl 9

Replies

• Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Here's the first item, a pudge hook. Right now I'm planning to expand it into a set with a friend.

Ravenhook_01_small.jpg

Ravenhook_02.jpg

Ravenhook_03.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Trickster's Wand is uploaded now. Thanks to BWhitman for the concept.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=148651674

trickster_wand.jpg
  • Zipfinator
  • Zipfinator
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    hamstocks polycounter lvl 5
    Really nice work man!
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Just uploaded this Jugg sword to the workshop. Going to work on Slimeface's Axe hair next and some edits on our Prophet staff.

ivory%20sword_01.jpg
  • Hellmouth
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellmouth polycounter lvl 11
    Damn, son, looking good!
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished a new Sand King tail with Pipotchi today. Going to work on a Chaos Knight set next with Hellmouth.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=177304269

0BFA3ABDB72E7699E7BE84FE49D56F619F8ABC85
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't touched this thread in over a year since last CNY, but here's a couple updates on what I've been doing.

Pre TI4 other than doing an awful TA set for Alliance I was mainly messing around with singles and did a couple sets with some new artists in the workshop scene, Fudgie and Arty.

Shadow Demon crab back I did with a friend who doesn't play dota or do much character concepting, but he's a good illustrator and concept artist.
    BC8AFF5B7596859ABE7A0C059238EC6106795A3C

My first set with Fudgie which we sold at TI4. We did this set from start to finish in 5 days right when Magnus was released on the workshop. We still weren't the first to submit a Magnus, but it was our first time working on something over such a short period of time.
    F68529E756538C48BD7BD628DA4C7F7D88FB7A30

My first set with Arty, with full ability particles. I still believe the reason it hasn't gone in game yet is because of the ability particles and it's made me wary to do them on any other sets until the upcoming update.
    2B933804529FA42A8B06DE54D4BDDCBBADAAD3FD

I almost forgot to mention this. The first set I did with Ike since the infamous Gyrocopter set we submitted with full ability particles for CNY 2014. Again we rushed it out in 6 days so we could have it submitted before leaving for TI4. I'm happy with the idea of the set but the execution was definitely lacking.
    C4018E417ED8B9900065C3A40813E031D2DA408E

After TI4 I began work on a Razor set for Arteezy/EG. I also might have worked with Ike on an invoker set for a certain player which no one will ever see again and I won't link here. We outsourced the loading screen for this one to Pior and he did a great job. This was also the last set I did with full ability particles, and until one of the 3 I have sitting around goes in game or the new system is released I definitely won't be messing with them again.
    4A8861E4B50E5C50B92E1EDC60A2C6A8C57FEB13
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    On to the Fall. Here's a couple singles I did. Most people think singles are dead but it's easy enough to pump out a couple every now and then just in case a singles chest does get added again ever. In Spring everyone was saying singles were dead and then in May I had two singles added to the first chest in 6 months so it's worth doing in my opinion.

Here's a quick Medusa single I did in September I think. It was the second item I did with BladeofAvilliva who I later did the Skyvenge sets with for CNY.
    97B8893CE17385E7D83D2ADB5C26C59453CB1042

And another single done with Arty. This one didn't do super well because it was uploaded the day before the big workshop change with the Queues and 1 day cycles but we're still happy with how it came out.
    6A3B7FBBC3DBFC1F101A8ACFA411FE51235B1525

In early November before I started on the Dotapit Season 3 items me and Fudgie did a Storm Spirit set. The concept had been laying around since TI4 and we decided to pump it out in a week in anticipation of a winter chest just after the Halloween chest was released. The winter chest did come but unfortunately didn't have any winter themed sets in it... This one was also uploaded on the day of the workshop changes.
    FC69CE863CE0B3818986CC2DA05CE29D6DC444C3

After that I began work on my set for the Dota Pit Season 3 chest. We were contacted about organizing a project similar to what BTS did for The Summit with a chest and compendium items, but instead of just jamming a bunch of old sets in the organizer wanted to have completely new sets with a loose theme created specifically for the tournament which got my interest.
    048D41A71E400D187125DB0659464D58684895E2

Then here's a bat mount we did for the tournament compendium also in early January in the middle of working on the CNY sets. We created the item in mind with having a custom ambient particle on it, something which the tournament organizer wanted even though Valve has said there's a low chance of getting particles accepted at the moment. Ambient particles are much easier to implement than ability particles though so we're hopeful.
    3CD6577AB864E2D58DE289019819042AEE5BB08B
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    My first set with Arty, with full ability particles. I still believe the reason it hasn't gone in game yet is because of the ability particles and it's made me wary to do them on any other sets until the upcoming update.
    2B933804529FA42A8B06DE54D4BDDCBBADAAD3FD

If I recall correctly, I remember you guys released this set soon after that immortal skirt for death prophet. I think this is actually a reason why it wasn't accepted at that time, because the particles(alongside with everything else) is done properly and very well and if they were to add this after that immortal dress, it would reduce the value of that immortal item.
    I think they are keeping this set for a special occasion to include it with the particles cause the particles get along the design very well and it would be a shame to release it without them.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Now onto New Bloom 2015... I went into this event with the goal of submitting more than any other individual artist, and I think I accomplished that other than DNADota which is a team of 5 or 6 people I think. I had this goal because last year I focused only on the gyrocopter set and even though it was added to the test files and scheme multiple times it never went in game, and I didn't want to hinge getting something in game on just one set this year.

I started out the event doing a single item with Fudgie for Dark Seer.
    99E325DAAE1A1958F275BF7E5712ED3469876AA4

Next I moved onto a Broodmother set again with Fudgie, with Slimeface painting the loadingscreen this time. I'm extremely happy with how this came out. There were a few happy accidents while developing it that led to the design being improved and I don't believe anyone else touched brood this event.
    E343EA6CE2BEDAF359F0BA41310AA5D73BBC6789

Next I began work on what is probably my greatest achievement in the workshop yet, the Skywrath and Venge pair. BladeofAvilliva did an amazing job with the concepting and worked extremely hard doing revisions when I asked for them while working on the Brood. Once again Slimeface did the promo work for these along with the texturing. I'm very happy with how the sets turned out and they did better on the workshop than I ever hoped they would with the highest item getting 150k views and over 40k positive votes.
    820679CF28E1C98426D8FF5F1F4240C758DDAFB9

To finish up the event I did a few more single items. I won't link them all here but here's a couple of them.

Daggers done with BladeofAvilliva
    9869C19A484A10BD0D2F800A7676B311130F4E23

Tony Tree done with Arty.
    E5438EF21EA43CC2A251B5AAA21F1D0AACC67A7F

It's been a long month of 12 hour days which I am looking forward to probably never doing again. I have a couple sets planned out for the spring including this Warlock by Slimeface and a new set with Arty.
    CbALX6z.jpg

From here I am planning to spend a bit more time on each item I submit instead of pumping out as quickly as I can. While you learn a good work ethic pumping things out and generally improve it's hard to really improve when you never sculpt anything more than a few hours or take the time to redo something completely if it's not working out and you've already nearly finished it.

Also this Spring I'm planning to finally try doing a set on my own again which I haven't done since mid 2012 when I had no idea what the fuck I was doing. I'll try to start posting progress in here more often from now on.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza wrote: »
    If I recall correctly, I remember you guys released this set soon after that immortal skirt for death prophet. I think this is actually a reason why it wasn't accepted at that time, because the particles(alongside with everything else) is done properly and very well and if they were to add this after that immortal dress, it would reduce the value of that immortal item.
    I think they are keeping this set for a special occasion to include it with the particles cause the particles get along the design very well and it would be a shame to release it without them.

That's possible. I was mainly pointing out that two other Death Prophet sets have gone in game since we released that one, one in August and one for Halloween. I think ours could have possibly been put in in place of those if we hadn't submitted with particles but I'm still glad we went through with them because they add a lot to the set.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Started on the Warlock set. I tend to spend a lot of time blocking in so I can use it as a base for my low poly as well as my base mesh.

cthuluwarlock_wip_01.jpg
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Man that looks so perfect!
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you sir.

Update on the block in. As a note the tentacles are spread out for the purposes of sculpting and baking. I'll make them wrap around each other after it's baked. The staff and lantern will be split into 3 equal sections.

cthuluwarlock_wip_02.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the base mesh done for warlock. All of this was done in 3DSmax. I just took the pic from zbrush because I don't like to export smoothed in max and I was too lazy to toggle them all on one by one for a picture.

cthuluwarlock_wip_03.jpg
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    Decent. Nice polymodeling.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 wrote: »
    Decent. Nice polymodeling.

Eeeh I know it's messy as fuck but it's quick for me and it gets the job done.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress on the sculpt.

cthuluwarlock_wip_04.jpg
  • Ziedrich
    I can't help but see Dr. Zoidberg in your Warlock.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    That's looking real nice, I'm liking the cloth. Can't wait to see some work on the tentacles.

The only thing I don't really like is the hood. The shape is very different from the concept, being more round instead of triangular, and I also like the red details on it from the concept a lot more than the current kinda fire thing you have going on.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    I can mess with the shape of the hood more. I agree it could match the concept better. The red details were updated in a new version of the concept I forgot to post though. I will talk to Slime about it and see what he thinks.

FINAL.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Ziedrich wrote: »
    I can't help but see Dr. Zoidberg in your Warlock.

If only we had done a lobster summon instead of a beholder...
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    If only we had done a lobster summon instead of a beholder...

Just make it a style. :poly124:
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress on Warlock. I added the belt slot I forgot before and redid the hood after talking with Slime. Time to do the tentacles tomorrow.

cthuluwarlock_wip_05.jpg
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    it is rly amazing to see how much development u did in that last year.
    keep it going :)
  • Wonderstone
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonderstone polycounter lvl 5
    Cool works pal :)
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the warlock sculpt. Bakes will be done tomorrow and then I'll move onto the weapons which I have in a separate zbrush file with radial symmetry set up.

cthuluwarlock_wip_06.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Baked him today. I baked a top down gradient for the first time and it came out pretty well. I'll definitely do that on my future items. The 5 sided tentacles on the shoulder slot make me sad but they're fine from in game so I'm not too fussed about it.

cthuluwarlock_wip_07.jpg
  • whatever
    Looking good!I will keep checking your progress
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Uploaded a couple new sets.

Warden of Icewrack with Arty

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=425792767

902123B76AB6E9B2C9CAF626E6552195ED7D3824

Karabos Acolyte done with Slimeface and Andrew Helenek

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=424571867

6FF3355C4611D9A40CF40BC2D9BEA7D1AE209E29

I have 3 more planned before the May 25th deadline and then I'll probably be taking a break from the workshop for a couple months to focus on working on my game.