Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Baseball Bat ...

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
John_B polycounter lvl 11
Hi all, long time member of the site but first time posting in the 2D area of the forums.

This is a sketch i've worked up into a portfolio piece. I'd like to get some constructive feedback on it. I know its not pushed as much as it could have been but i'm fairly happy with how it turned out.

vKfoh59.png

Replies

• John_B
    Offline / Send Message
    Even one piece of feedback that would improve this piece would be great :)
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Honestly I think it looks fine, it looks like it belongs in a lineup of background characters for a film like monsters inc. That being said, it would be nice if some of his clothing/accessories were more designed. Right now it's basically a stylized, humanized bat(creature) with a normal baseball jersey, and a regular baseball bat.

Not saying you should put bat symbols everywhere, but right now if you replaced the bat with a boy it wouldn't look out of place. Again it's not a bad thing, but it feels like you have a character design in a random costume, rather than full character/costume design.

If this was a main character I'd imagine more visual interest somehow. An idea would be to put red dirt on his pants from when he was bullied earlier, his number was a 10, but other characters scraped most of the 1 off so it's just a 0, maybe his bat is held together with duct tape and it has a big crack in it. Just things that tell a story.
  • John_B
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Avanthera. Great point regarding the story of him. I'll take a look at what I can add to bring out his personality a bit more perhaps.