Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Viktor's character scribbles

Replies

• Kot_Leopold
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    @Damik, Thanks for the crits, Dan! As for the nose looking square, it must've come from my reference because I solely relied on that. My guess is that some people do have much blockier noses than others.

Here's a side-by-side comparison:

blocky_nose_zpsd955543e.jpg~original

It can be quiet tricky to judge the shapes from just 1-2 pictures with a flat, frontal lighting. Though it does seem like the nose in the reference softens out as it goes up and the tip looks a bit more rounded than what I have.

Also, agreed about the shoulder region. Will look out for that in the future. Cheers!

@Abrvpt, Hey, glad you like it! Still think I've got a lot of similarities from one character to the next. When something's not working, I subconsciously go back to my memory bank filled with old habits hah. And yea, it's almost as if I avoid fragile-looking, thin and short noses (could be due to me not seeing very many actually). But I'll certainly look into sharper and much more narrower noses for my next sculpts.

Here's an evening scribble:

716219_orig.jpg

.. and the above piece after messing in Photoshop:

PS_filter_zps0d69ff79.jpg~original
  • Pabs
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 11
    great improvements!
  • Kot_Leopold
    Offline / Send Message
    Merci, scapulator!

Today's sketch:

1070466_orig.jpg
  • ghost-d
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    Love your work. The girl whose nose everyone points out as wide reminds me of Apollonia from the Godfather movie for some reason.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Damn! Awesome work and improvement! Keep it up!
  • KristaW
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW polycounter lvl 9
    Ah cool! I love the last one!
  • Kot_Leopold
    Offline / Send Message
    @ghost-d, Glad you dig it! Nice, I looked her up and I can definitely see quite a few similarities in features. Good eye!
    @BradMyers82, Love your enthusiasm haha. Will do, thanks for dropping by!
    @Krista, Nice to hear that, thanks Krista! Tried something different with the eyeballs and it turned out alright actually. Also the reference had a soft transition from the tip of the nose to the eyebrow region which is nice for a change not to have a sharp/planar form like in most of my previous female sculpts.

Here's current wip:

4819907_orig.jpg

Would love to hear any crits on the likeness ^^
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Bruce Willis, no doubt ^^ The mouth might be slightly too low in the face though.
    Great likeness ! Do you aim to a 100% accuracy ?
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah we recognize him, but it's still not really Willis ^^. I think that the eyes should be smaller, or more closed, and the shape is not good ( your outer corner seems way too low ), and Abrvpt is right for the mouth.

Also, Willis has a really particular smile which could really help for the likeness, see :

Bruce-Willis-Pictures.jpg

40492_pro.jpg

people-bruce-willis-2515325.jpg?v=6

i4ffr5f3.jpg

bruce-willis.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDnJTLHggbcI0IJCkzAqk9HEMkvgRRQ1IZXZMmrKNaMypIKj1_tMNv-xK7

look at how the cheek is deformed...
  • Kot_Leopold
    Offline / Send Message
    @Abrvpt, Hey, thanks for the tip, I moved the mouth up a little and it looks better. Got carried away with the references^^ 100% accuracy would be ideal but since I'm no scanner - getting him as close as possible should do.

@Texelion, Reference bomb! Though, most of the references that I've gathered of him don't show that smirk:

6q8fwo.jpg

You were totally right about his eye corners being too low. Moved them up and the likeness improved quite a bit. Really appreciate the feedback! Merci!

Here's the update:

9248878_orig.jpg
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Looks more accurate now =) Maybe the upper lip is slightly too thin.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks Abrvpt! You're right about the upper lip being a bit too thin. I used an older version of him as a reference where he has thinner lips. Will fix it up!

Slacking off since it's holidays and all.. but managed to start on something new:

5443098_orig.jpg
  • Antone_m
    Offline / Send Message
    Antone_m polycounter lvl 9
    I Love it Viktor and the likeness is awesome (For a better Viewing could you texture the eyes I mean show the iris it would look much much better )
  • Kot_Leopold
    Offline / Send Message
    @Antone_m Thanks man. I tried painting in the eyes and he looks off.. Thinking I got his likeness wrong or something. May have to start his face from scratch.

Likeness studies from photos:

3882128_orig.jpg

5340654_orig.jpg

2528924_orig.jpg
  • Kot_Leopold
    Offline / Send Message
    Did another one:

666497_orig.jpg

1697649_orig.jpg
  • Antone_m
    Offline / Send Message
    Antone_m polycounter lvl 9
    cool studies man , keep going :D:D
  • Miche
    Such great studies :) Really like em !
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey Viktor great work here, the last studies are awesome especially Bruce and Superman! Hope you don't mind me saying (not really an anatomy expert, just my opinion) the only thing throwing off the last study for me is the angle of the face plane, seems a little off:

8LTEoIy.jpg

Apart from that great stuff :) Do you polypaint most of your work? I haven't had a huge amount of experience painting textures in ZB although some people get amazing results in it so was interested to know. Keep it up :)
  • Kot_Leopold
    Offline / Send Message
    @Antone_m, Thanks bud, hope to get better with these in the new year :)
    @Miche, Glad you like 'em! Saw your journey girl in WAYWO and I must say that she's looking great!
    @Torch, Hey Philip, really appreciate your feedback - I haven't paid much attention to three-quarter view until now that you mentioned it. The transition does look off; guess this is the result of working with just a frontal shot.
    As for texturing, I do polypaint most of my work except for these last studies. It's a pretty straightforward process where you just need to pick a base skin tone color and start adding reds/blues/greens/etc. on top with a low RGB intensity and preferably a dotted/spray alpha.

This helps me:

abe-color-zone-wds_zps5377f95f.jpg

And did a few more of these:

8368877_orig.jpg
    9789751_orig.jpg
    8071204_orig.jpg
    9519346_orig.jpg
    5197754_orig.jpg
  • Birran
    Really inspirational thread! What's your workflow on these last studies, do you work from a basemesh or from a dynamesh sphere? Also, how do you use your reference, do you load them into the floor or do you use the "see through" function? Would appreciate any tips you could give.

Keep up the good work!
  • Kot_Leopold
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while since I updated this thread.. Need to get back to doing so!

Here's some recent stuff:

oliviawildehq.jpg

sherlock_grey.jpg

heisenberg_2014.jpg

@Birran, I work from a basemesh because that's what you'd do in most production environments. Though I think you do end up learning more if you start from a sphere like traditional clay sculptors do. Reference is always up on my second monitor and I make use of IrfanView so they always stay on top if there are more than a screen could fit.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Wow, your likenesses are getting fantastic.
  • Caldria
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    Damn man, Olivia Wilde looks great - those eyes!
  • Kot_Leopold
    Offline / Send Message
    @ysalex, Thanks man, still a long ways to go but I'm glad you see some improvements!
    @Caldria, She'd look better if not for half-assed hair though. Glad you could recognize her!

Returned to Jennifer Lawrence because my previous attempt from last year wasn't very good. Here's the new version:

339556_orig.jpg

jlawrence_grey_lg.jpg

Decided to start her out from scratch instead of modifying the existing sculpt. Hope it looks more like her, I'd love to hear any comments!
  • mr_ace
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    wow i missed this thread, you've got some really awesome work here
  • mcerasoli
    Some really amazing work you have here. The likeness to Jennifer Lawrence is really great much improved from last year. Nicely done
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Hey Viktor, really great progress going on here, the Cranston sculpt is particularly awesome.

There's a few things that are bugging me about this Jennifer Lawrence bust that are bugging me though. Mostly it's due to the hard(ish) lines around the nose, the lower lip and the lower eyelids. Some of it is also due to the symmetry and lack of eyelashes which really effects the eyeshape. I've done a shitty paintover here to show you what I mean, including the ref's I used:

JLawrence.jpg

A couple notes:
    The lower lip should be rounder, though not as pointy as I ended up making it ;)
    The Iris's (and pupil's in particular) should be smaller.
    The orbicularis oris should be softer between the lips and nose. And the bit where it connects to the sides of the mouth are a bit more vertical.
    The sternomastoid's should be softer as well. It's cropped in my ref but in all the pics I saw where she was relaxed they're visible but as sharp as you've got em.
    Her chin/jaw may be just a little bit bigger but that me be an issue with the angle of your shots vs the photo's.
    Also the little mole on her neck might be a bit too pronounced? In half the pics I saw it's not even there so if it's that easy to cover with make-up it probably only really needs to be there in a texture.