Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota 2] - Disruptor - High Pressure System

My idea with this set (and these are rough sketches without any real color decisions on them) is to give him a sort of "vintage tech warrior" look. The head of the hammer floats, since he's not using it to hit people, so it doesn't have to be practical. The bands across the chest are used to hold the back item, since Disruptor has no chest piece slot.

EDIT: I may also armor his mount up a bit, but there are no guarantees on that.
ORIGINAL CONCEPT: http://i.imgur.com/POW16.jpg
MOST RECENT CONCEPT:
nz4uE.jpg

Replies

• Mexican
    not so sure tech is a good way to go for Dota. Or, if you're going to do tech, not as clean and streamlined as that. Look at Gyrocopter, Sniper, and Clockwerk
  • dfanton
    Mexican wrote: »
    not so sure tech is a good way to go for Dota. Or, if you're going to do tech, not as clean and streamlined as that. Look at Gyrocopter, Sniper, and Clockwerk

Disruptor's lore relies on him finding the ancient technology of his people (more advanced than the current state of his people, given that it can control the weather), and Tinker's tech is more streamlined than what I've drawn. Perhaps Disruptor upgraded upon the old technology's design.

EDIT: To be clear, I'd agree with you on most other heroes. I view Disruptor and the Keens as exceptions.
  • Mexican
    dfanton wrote: »
    Disruptor's lore relies on him finding the ancient technology of his people (more advanced than the current state of his people, given that it can control the weather), and Tinker's tech is more streamlined than what I've drawn. Perhaps Disruptor upgraded upon the old technology's design.

EDIT: To be clear, I'd agree with you on most other heroes. I view Disruptor and the Keens as exceptions.

Ah, sorry I was not aware of Disruptor's lore, I'm kinda new to Dota. Still, I'd disagree that Tinker is more streamlined. It's mostly that your concept has things like ridges and vents and precise angle bends, which are something that make it seem factory made. I forgot about Tinker, he's probably your best reference to look to. I'm sure it will look better also whenever you add color, I didn't see you haven't done that yet and thought it was supposed to be chrome. Basically you're gonna want to try to add stuff like gears, and large visible bolts to make it look a little more fantasy like. The theme seems like it would work quite well, I just think it would benefit from some style adjustment.
  • dfanton
    As a youth, while still unblooded and without a stryder, he explored the ruins of the ancestral cities—searching through collapsed and long-moldering libraries, rummaging through rusting manufactories. He took what he needed and returned to his tribe.

Bolded and italicized. Not trying to be belligerent towards you or sound defensive, and I totally get what you mean. I'll definitely be adding more details, particularly to the little pack on the back item.
  • dfanton
    Decided to change the base of the back piece to be larger, rather than having that strange U-shaped tube. Now it looks more like a battery with a vent (or a furnace, your pick).

nz4uE.jpg