Home General Discussion

Laid off and no replies from applications

quad damage
Online / Send Message
Joopson quad damage
Hi everyone,

Long story short, I was laid off, and haven't received my last three paychecks, but the boss promises he's working on it, but never gives any specifics, and it's been a month and a half since he found out our funding was discontinued (can't give any specifics).

In the meantime, I'm looking for work, and I've sent out quite a few applications to every reputable (usually) studio I can find in Los Angeles and Santa Monica.

I've been doing that for about a month now, (and seriously doing it for 3 weeks) and have received maybe 2 replies, both being canned responses about not being quite the right fit for their given positions. Not just game companies either, despite my immense preference for game art. I realize these things can take time, but I can't help but feel like they're all looking at my portfolio, muttering "this guy sucks" under their breath, and closing the window. Maybe that's a dramatization, maybe it isn't, haha.

Where I worked, I was the only in-house environment and prop artist for a UE4 game that was released a few months back, and I did some props for another game the company took over; so I have two shipped titles from the job. I assumed job searching would be easier, with that under my belt.

I'm working on some new stuff for my portfolio, but considering my lack of funds, I was hoping to find something as soon as possible, but the lack of replies is absolutely disheartening. Do I just have to wait longer, and keep applying to new places, or is it some problem with my work?

Any tips on dealing with the lack of confidence that comes with a lack of replies? Or if anyone knows about openings in Los Angeles/Santa Monica, where I could apply? Or some tips about why I may not be getting any replies?

You can view my work at Joopson.com

Thanks.

Replies

• cgBrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgBrad polycounter lvl 5
    Relaying personal experience, as I've been doing freelance web development for a few years now. Granted, they are not exactly the same, but hustling and grinding jobs teaches you a few things.

It's a game of determination, numbers, time, and creativity. Basically the more you put in to it, the more you will get to it. You will be rejected, you need to move past that. Just keep grinding. Do your homework on the companies you are applying. You need to sell yourself.

Don't know what level of jobs you are applying for, but personally, you web page is really generic and bland. As an artist I would think it would help to spend some time there, if you mention it on your resume or something I would really attack that. I would guess being a professional artist is like a lot of things, but mostly it's about grabbing someone's attention. The other would be showing you can work on the kind of projects they have. So if you don't have the big projects under your belt you will need to sell yourself with other work.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Right off the bat I would say look at your website and redo that. When I loaded it up, the very first thing I see are that axe, gun and sword and that's nowhere near your best work. Lose the impressionist area entirely. Take a look here and maybe follow suit with a redesign of your site to really put your best work first and foremost.
    http://gameartportfoliowall.com/

You mentioned looking for more than just game art, so really look into simulation (serious games) jobs, architectural rendering, oil and gas 3d, etc.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    You've got some good work, but your website itself is letting you down.
    Scrap 'impression' and 'older work' (the later more because the title indicates you don't think it represents your current skills), and kill the white background, at the very least. This look about 10x better imo:

Ttx0F5n.jpg
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    I think presentation is hurting your models, your render backgrounds are just too dark on most pieces.
    I would either use dark color as website background or brighten up the renders.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Thanks so so much for all the comments; they're really helpful. Thanks for being so honest about my website being a letdown; weirdly, I'd never heard that before, but it makes sense.

I made some changes based on everyone's recommendations. I darkened the background, changed the title image at the top to be a little less complicated, reordered my work, and got rid of the "older work", and instead replaced it with "Props" (I did some freelance a while back, so I'll have a need for that section as I start being allowed to show my work from that).

Tomorrow I'll be changing some more stuff, so if there is any more feedback in that regard, I'd appreciate it.

Any comments on what specific pieces I should remove entirely, going forward? I have a hard time picking out my own best and worst work, so that could be very helpful.

Thanks again, Blasoid, PolyHertz, The Mad Artist, and cgBrad. Polycount is the best.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    an advice i can give you is to work on something challenging shape ad texture wise, right now :

The revolver looks like its unfinished texturewise , take a look at other weapons done here in polycount, it is a solid model, but boring texture. I would also reduce the number of shots of the gun , right now you have arund 6 , i think one image with the gun sideview and fpv is enough to showcase it.

The Axe looks cool texture wise, the lightning is letting it down tho , it gives this weird orangy feeling to it that kinda washes out the prop , again , only one image is needed for it, not 4 or 5.

The skyrim mod ones are kinda letting the other pieces down , i would get rid of it.

ALONE IN THE DARK :

the starter image is the gun, i think you should start of with the nicely lit enviro you have after it, right now the gun is in a drk background with half wireframe that doesnt showcase the texture nor the model properly.

KITCHEN

My favorite piece from your folio . Clean, nicely lit and with a great mood , i would focus on making more scenes like those as it stands out from the crowd.

The about page is in my personal opinion ( im not recruiter ) but is something that should go , recruiters care about art , and if they want to know more about you they will either set a phone interview or talk to you via email , its just anoter section on the website that is filling space.

Now , go make new art , right now you show you can do more complex stuff that you have posted so try to make something cool that stands out from the crowd.

Good luck !
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Joopson wrote: »
    where I could apply?

Connect with recruiters. A lot to choose from social media or get recommendations from your network.

First sign of trouble at employment, get recruiters working for you :thumbup:
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson wrote: »
    Any comments on what specific pieces I should remove entirely, going forward? I have a hard time picking out my own best and worst work, so that could be very helpful.

Get rid of these from 'Alone in the Dark':
    http://joopson.com/assets/brazier.jpg
    http://joopson.com/assets/goomaterial.jpg
    http://joopson.com/assets/bottles.jpg

Maybe these too:
    http://joopson.com/assets/pews.jpg (boring)
    http://joopson.com/assets/medpacks.jpg (boring)
    http://joopson.com/assets/ammo.jpg (materials, especially on cartridge boxes, is flat)

Also, I like the ray gun, but feel like it could use just a small amount of glow around the yellow discs so they don't look so much like something on a toy.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Something to keep in mind is that job ads aren't always an indication that there's a position available. I've applied to many companies and received a reply much later - the longest has been over a year and a half afterwards. This probably was because they were advertising for an anticipated opening which was dependent on a new project that may have been delayed.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Soo, while your stuff isn't bad, you have zero "wow" pieces. I think employers look at your stuff and probably think the same thing. I doubt they think what you have is bad but it probably just doesn't grab their attention at all. You need to do a couple pieces that really stand out. Pick a couple props...and really make them to a high standard. You clearly have the knowledge and skill but it is not reflected in your folio. Trust me, most of us have been through layoffs...it ain't easy. But it's also a good time to raise the level of your folio because you don't have fulltime work taking up any of your time. It can be tough moneywise but hunker down and make some awesome folio pieces.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Yes because unfortunately nowadays you have to look like the best artist in the world just to get the little attention to get hired to do boring props ^^. And you better have some contact in a studio or you'll never get in.

Oh a little advice for your folio, you should add on the front page what is professional and personal work, so recruiters immediately see that you have professional experience. The Alone in the Dark env could be a fan art after all, they don't know that from first glance.

And if you already feel bad after some weeks, imagine how you'll feel after 2 years ^^. Just keep it up, it's not you in particular, the whole industry is like this. Do something "wow" as Slosh said and it should help.

Or buy some assets on a store, make a nice scene with a nice lighting, get featured and bam ! everybody's gonna want to hire you.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    California seems to have a lot of protections against the thing your former employer is doing...I know it's porbably not financially feasible to hire a lawyer, but you could file a wage claim http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/howtofilewageclaim.htm . Maybe even threatening to do so will be worth it to your boss to avoid paying the mountain of fines his business will incur.

As far as getting a job, keep applying, keep improving your portfolio. There are a few superstars that can rest on their laurels, but most of us have to keep sharpening our blades between battles.

Good Luck
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One last thing:
    As a general rule stay away from pieces involving religious symbolism, or specifically anything that could be perceived as directly insulting a major religions Deity. That doll nailed to a cross could potentially lose you work opportunities all by itself depending on who sees it.
  • Cristian_P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cristian_P polycounter lvl 2
    Yeah man, it's tough. I'm sorry to hear that you find yourself in this position. I know exactly how you feel. We've all been there at some point or another. Some of us have lingered like that for a few weeks, others for a couple of months... Some of us even for a couple of years. Unfortunately, there really isn't a quick and easy way out of this. Unless an employer unexpectedly decides to hire you right now, you basically have to prepare yourself mentally to be persistent and not lose hope. Like cgBrad said, it's all a game of determination, time, and effort.

I also concur with Slosh and Texelion. But I believe that in order to produce some of those "wow" pieces, you really have to take a step back and concentrate on doing what it is that you want to do. Try to find your own voice, even if it's subtle. Most current and aspiring artists in this industry seem to perpetuate this trend of "I gotta do what this person does" or "I gotta do what this company asks." While it's good to be as marketable as possible, I think there's also a danger in it -- you never get to entirely commit to art and its essence as it pertains to you. So up until now you've done props that were specifically required for the titles you worked on; now try to do some work that you desire to do. Try to even steer away from props and do some level design, architecture, even characters if you have the innate talent. Give your site a facelift (preferably a look completely opposite of the way it is now) and don't get rid of your weakest/oldest pieces yet, just put them in an old work section.

From my experience, the best way to deal with a lack of replies is to make contact with your employers directly. (First of all, try to get out more and live life; not necessarily party like a rockstar, but try not to let yourself become completely miserable. I've been there, and other than your closest friend or spouse which knows you, appreciates you, but probably can't help, nobody else will give a damn). So stay positive and try to make contact with your employers, either by meeting them in person or calling them directly.

My situation's been different than yours, but probably not entirely different... I've graduated a couple of years back and found myself unable to get a job in game art. I didn't have any connections and my work wasn't good enough to begin with. After about a year and a half I gave up on that and went back to architectural visualization (what I went to school for originally). There were some attempts to get back into game art, but with the amount of time lost in the first place, the amount of time I know will take me to get stellar, and life moving at its own pace I decided to rely on what I can do best for now. I live on the east coast near a lot of architecture firms. So I just started to go to them in person and offer my service. Some turned me down, some I never heard back from, but others started to employ me for their projects. I now have a couple that really like my work and are offering me contracts. Anyway, I don't know if this is something that you can apply on the west coast where you live, but it might be worth a try. The bottom line is, almost nobody will hire you if you send online applications even if you're a decent artist but you're a no-name. If your work is decent, you have higher chances in person once they meet you. Good luck!
  • Cristian_P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cristian_P polycounter lvl 2
    P.S: With all due respect to PolyHertz, I disagree entirely when it comes to religious symbolism. As long as you're not doing it in poor taste or in a malicious way, please don't censor yourself. Let's not get all fascist politically correct now. As an artist you have the liberty to express yourself however you see fit. And if an employer is so uptight as to deem it inappropriate, you don't want to work for that employer. For every one critic that gets all anxious about it, there will be several that will appreciate it.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I might be wrong about this, but I have the impression that most AAA studios are farming the lion's share of prop work to outsource studios outside of the US. That might be at least part of why you're having a difficult time gaining traction. Sorry, I know that isn't very helpful.

That's interesting!!

Anyone else see that sort of thing happening?
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    Anyone else see that sort of thing happening?

If that's hard to believe just check the credits of shipped aaa releases.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    -snip- most AAA studios are farming the lion's share of prop work to outsource studios outside of the US. -snip-

Yup. I have definitely seen it, especially in the last year or so. A few yearly release franchises like to have "Outsource Managers" and then outsource the large load of work to other countries where they mass produce the content. The managers will then take these pieces and optimize, clean up, etc. Whatever they need to do to get the content to baseline standards for use. You then have hero props, level specific assets, etc built by senior staff in house.

Not all studios are like this, but IMO a big reason why prop/env positions have gone down in number somewhat recently. I am in no way pointing fingers, as its a viable business decision to save money on their end, it just makes landing that job so much more difficult.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    More than just props. Massive chunks of the most recent Halo and Forza games were made by outsource houses. Turn10 doesn't try to hide it, although 343 attempted to and gave up. Every car in a Forza game is made on the west side of the Pacific Rim, and only a few of the tracks were made in-house.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It's looking more and more like you'll need to be a tech artist, art director, lead, or something to easily get a good job in the US, Canada, UK, etc.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    It's looking more and more like you'll need to...

...pay your dues in a China satellite studio then come back home as a highly recruited manager.:thumbup:
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    Something to keep in mind is that job ads aren't always an indication that there's a position available. I've applied to many companies and received a reply much later - the longest has been over a year and a half afterwards. This probably was because they were advertising for an anticipated opening which was dependent on a new project that may have been delayed.

In my experience, what happens is that they post a job even though they already have someone in mind, and might have done a first interview. They only go to people who respond to the job post if the first person doesn't work out, or if another similar position opens later.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Meloncov wrote: »
    In my experience, what happens is that they post a job even though they already have someone in mind, and might have done a first interview. They only go to people who respond to the job post if the first person doesn't work out, or if another similar position opens later.

This is definitely true quite a bit sadly, as studios will do internal hiring rounds first (usually), ask if people have referrals second, then quite quickly after that they will post online. So by the time a post pops up online, they will usually already have a batch of applicants at the top of the stack. This is where networking and not burning bridges is KEY. By networking, I mean just making friends/acquaintances as very rarely (if at all) do I hear about someone looking through a stack of business cards to then contact a person they randomly met at a convention 6 months prior.