Item set has been submitted

Latest Update (19/11/2012):

Armor_Textures_02.jpg

Armor_Screen_Preview_Final.jpg

Latest (Major) Update:

Armor_HP_01.jpg

- - - - -

Alright, reserving my spot here.

Now, I've seen a few Doom Bringers here already and I originally wanted to pick a less common hero but I have some ideas I want to play around with. Worst case I'll start over with another hero.

So basically, Doom Bringer looks a bit like a fancy gentleman of Doom and I intend to bring a bit more chaos and death into the mix. I mean according to lore he walks around and just kills everything and I want his looks to represent that, a bit more atleast. Less symmetric fancyness and more assymetric non-orderness.

I intend to create every item for the set except the wings and tail, which leaves me with a total of 5 items to create; Head/Helm, Shoulders, Arms, Belt and Weapon.

I do not have any pictures yet to show but hopefully I will later tonight.

Stay tuned.

Replies

• Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    Righto, started drawing up some stuff:

Concept_Woop.jpg

Started modeling the sword aswell, but decided to not do the bones on the handleguard there. Will have to think of something else there.

Also want some more assymetry in the arms so I'll work on that.
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some more work done on the concept, played around with the sword shape, arms/bracers and added some more color and definition. Shoulders are still missing.

Concept_Woop_2.jpg

Not sure if should make a handleguard for the sword or leave it as is. Either way I'm pretty satisfied with how it's all turning out.
  • jwest
    I really like the sword with out the handle guard, nice work. The helmet from the front view is looking good too but would like to see a 3 quarter shot of it though.
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks jwest, I realize the helmet might be a bit hard to understand completely, but hopefully it will turn out well in 3D.

Here's todays update:

Concept_Woop_3.jpg

I'm still very much working on this and will keep tweaking until I'm happy with it. I've got some more ideas to try, mainly for the offhand shoulder, to add more assymetry.

Tossing in a quick edit with another iteration:

Concept_Woop_4.jpg

Mainly I beefed up the offhand side shoulder.
  • Jalcober
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
    Looking great!
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Update time, got around to making the highpoly for the sword:

Sword_HP_01.jpg

I'm not planning on doing any sculpting, details will be added when it's texture time.

I've also started working on the helmet but nothing worth showing yet.
  • bounchfx
    really liking your designs man! especially the latest helmet, that thing is kick ass.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    I agree, I really like the sleek, polished look that you have going on! Keep it up!
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    looking good! I too dig the helm.
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, hopefully you will like the helm in 3D aswell, unfortunately, you don't get to see it today either as I've been working on the lowpoly of the sword.

Thus:

Sword_HP_LP_01.jpg

Next time I'll throw on some textures and whatnot and try it out with the ingame previewer.
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I got the sword into the previewer and... well... I've run into some issues so to speak.

Sword_Screen_PreviewWat.jpg

So basically, the sword is tiny and (this can't be seen) some verts are being pulled on the handle. Note that it is modeled after the .fbx models supplied by valve.

Not sure how I should go about fixing this :/
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    No worries, performance issues are very common.

Try using the .smd directly from the game, that usually fixes those kinds of issues.
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Increase the scale (using the origin 0,0,0 as the pivot point) of the bones and your item (and your ref geometry if you want) by 254 if you're using the FBX as reference. I don't know why Valve provides it as everyone who uses the FBX has scaling issues. You're better off importing the .SMD as references.
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I'll try the 254 scale next time, using the SMD resulted in everything being rotated, easy to fix but I've already got the FBX files set up and everything.

Now I've just gotta figure out the pulled verts deal, having it skinned to only the sword bone didn't help.
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighto, finally got some work done.

Sword_Screen_Preview_Fixed.jpg
    So i ended up using the SMD files instead and it pretty much fixed everything.

Now, as you can see, there's some odd dark spots on the top of the sword, but I'm pretty sure the problem is in the mask files and it should be a pretty easy fix.
    I'm also going to work a bit on the metal, it's a bit off from the metal on the default armor.
  • lemusic
    sword needs more metallic qualities imo
  • Zinus
    Uh, for some reason your sword looks kind of ... cute to me. It must be those eye things it has xD!
    Maybe try to make it more mean?

Also that green gem in the sword is poking my eyes... but maybe it will work once you make the rest of the items so the green gem doesn't feel so lonely.
  • Rik
    The orange gradient on the end of the blade gives off the impression that it is a lot hotter than the rest of the blade and so it's glowing. I like that look but there's too sharp of a falloff. Try having that glow look through more of the blade, especially that center area above the glowing eyes and maybe deeper into the center of the blade.

Like this sword-forging.jpg
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Zinus: Kinda seeing what you mean with the cuteness thing, I'll see what i can do about that, I'll also tone down the green a bit.

Rik: I'll make sure to work a bit on that next time.

In the meantime, here's the blockout of the helm:

Helm_Blockout_01.jpg

Decided to change the horns a bit from the concept to make them more interesting. I might beef them up a bit more.
    Wasn't really sure what to do with the hair since well, he needs to have something there to fill the void, so it's not too well thought out right now.

If the area where the horns attach to the helm looks a bit odd in places it's because it is.
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    are you keeping the gray of the blade like that? because usually when its burned like that its usually burned black or at least a very dark grey
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not keeping it quite that bright, I wasn't expecting it to turn out so bright in the first place, definately needs to be darker.
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling the sword done for now, I'm happy with it.

Sword_Screen_Preview_Final.jpg

Now to finish blocking out the armor..
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd definitely go even darker, same as the dark parts of the wings.
  • riuthamus
    Offline / Send Message
    riuthamus polycounter lvl 11
    I know this is not really part of the topic, how did you get your elements in game...i keep seeing everybody have in game shots! btw, i really like what you are doing with the blade
  • Morscor
    I think the helmet is really nice and i just recommend a darker sword... but looks awesome, great job!
  • Fernas
    Wow. That helmet is insane man. Keep this up, I'm loving what I'm seeing.
  • Bwample1
    Offline / Send Message
    Bwample1 polycounter lvl 8
    zp6hi.jpg

Try a gradient from black to grey on a different layer then just overlay it or something and erase the areas you want to be white and then on another layer add a really close pure white but not pure cause dota/valve does not like pure white. Also mare sure to add texture into the gradient with another layer.
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I get it, I'll darken it more, thanks guys :) expect the next update tomorrow most likely, really need to get some serious work done on this.

riuthamus: In case you're still wondering, it's just a matter of exporting the models in the right format and using the ingame previewer by importing the item in the ingame workshop (in the customize tab), I'm sure there are guides around for it.
  • Bwample1
    Offline / Send Message
    Bwample1 polycounter lvl 8
    Also explore different gem colors, green and red look strange together for something like this. I.M.O.
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Another try:

Sword_Screen_Preview_Final02.jpg
    Decreased brightness again and darkened the specular aswell. Also, decided to stick with the green gem for now, but darkened it aswell, to make it stand out less.

Also, more armor blocking:

Armor_Blockout_02.jpg
    Please excuse the terrible smooth groups :poly124:

The eyes and teeth for the waist armor will be done in the texture.

So all that's left is blocking out the bracers and then getting the highpoly work going. As long as there's nothing that needs fixing ofcourse.
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally updating time!

Armor_Blockout_03.jpg
    Blocked out all of the pieces, changed the bracers from the concept as you can see, I like them this way ( no assymetry in them though, might work on that)

And then, Highpolyness:

Helm_HP_01.jpg

Will probably sharpen the edges on the horns a bit.

So I guess I have what, 2 weeks or so to finish this? Well, atleast I'm going to have a lot more time to work on it now :)
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Just about done with the highpoly for the armor:

Armor_HP_01.jpg

Might add some straps actually, atleast for the bracers, but other then that it's time to move onto the lowpoly models and textures.
  • foeffa
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    foeffa wrote: »
    Great job so far :)

^
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message

Just a quick update to let you all know that the lowpoly models are pretty much done and as such i will commence with baking tests and whatnot.
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Just thought I'd let you guys know that I'm making progress on this (unlit):

Armor_Textures_01.jpg

I ended up not putting too much time into the baking process and as such the normal maps are nothing to show off with, but they will do their job ingame.
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Update time!

Helm_Screen_Preview_Final.jpg

Pretty much finished up the helm, I wish the ingame preview was larger :(

But atleast it looks alright and it works alright.
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    And yet another part gets finished:

Bracers_Screen_Preview_Final.jpg

Two to go and thanks to the time extension i won't have to rush anything as I'm not sure how much time I will have to work on it this weekend :)
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Time for an update, after having pretty much finished all of the textures i decided to fix up the sword and redo the blade:

Sword_Variations_01.jpg

So I made it in the style of the original sword, I like it a lot actually and I think it might work out better then the first one ingame.

Will post up pics of the full set very soon.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    You going to show the helm textures before sending them off and just pimp in game
    images cause I'd like to see that closer.

The sword is looking good, will be much more readable from a distance now, even though I like it black as well, too bad you can't send in alternative skins, who knows but Valve never mentioned anything like that.

Texturing the armor will be fun, surely, can't wait.
    Nice update.
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the final textures, except the sword, which I might work more on.

Armor_Textures_02.jpg

I agree on the sword, I too like it black, but I like it this way aswell.

Shoulders have been tested ingame and are looking good except for some odd shadow stuff, not sure what's doing it. As you can see there's a small area without shadow just under the grey edge:
    Shoulders_Screen_Preview_Final.jpg
    Normal map issue perhaps? It looks as it should in 3ds max though and I'm pretty sure its all flipped the right way.

And here is the belt item ingame, as I don't think I've shown it, complete with wonky skinning that I couldn't get any better then this:

Belt_Screen_Preview_Final.jpg
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick bump with a quickly put together preview of the entire set including the sword:

Armor_Screen_Preview_Final.jpg

I'm glad i changed the sword, looks a lot better ingame then the old version.
  • ACap
    Offline / Send Message
    ACap polycounter lvl 9
    yes, man, It now really looks awesome!
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it nice work, though i hope you work on the other armor parts if you have more time to invest in this.

Sword matches the original more this way and I think Valve wants that, but in reality we can only do so much then we will start making the same stuff and getting into situations. When money is involved it's hard not to.

Anyway if you continue this or not I still like the overall silhouette of this entry.
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    I may or may not work more on this, I'm at a point where I'm happy with it considering texturing is something I usually struggle with. I'll keep myself from submitting for a few days though just in case i change my mind. I kinda want to move on to other things :P

Thanks for the comments though.
  • Gerre
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    Loving the sword texture.
  • Pina
    Offline / Send Message
    Pina polycounter lvl 5
    Sword is awesome :)
    The shadow problem might be low res shadow maps. If the light is just in a certain position sometimes it creates small gaps due to the low res. Did you max out the settings?
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    I did max out the settings, but for some reason the previewer doesn't seem to use them :S
    There is the possibility that I've missed a setting or something I suppose.

Thanks guys.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having a similar issue where my previewer isn't as high quality as other people's with maxed out settings. If anybody knows a fix for this, please do tell :S