Home Technical Talk

Normal map distorsion

Hi everyone can someone told me why my normal map "move up" on my mesh?!
snb66Qm.jpg

On normal map is nice and clear but when i apply it on mesh i have issue on this area

thanks

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Show a shaded wireframe of your model. Also show a uv checker on your model. I bet the UVs are distorted.
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    Looks like you're doing the tutorial that one of my university Tutors wrote. Is it the one by Barry Lowndes on YouTube? :)

Here's how to do a checker material too:

krqLv.png

Most likely cause of action is to just Relax your UVs again. :)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately the checker map is not a very good way to check your UVs. I added the reasons in that link I posted. Max's default checker map only solves the first bullet point.
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    Unfortunately the checker map is not a very good way to check your UVs. I added the reasons in that link I posted. Max's default checker map only solves the first bullet point.

Ah right, gave it a proper read!

I'd have thought when the distortion was as severe as in the OP Max's default checker would be suitable enough to get the job done quickly. :)

I'll definitely have a go with some of the circles in future when checking my UVs before baking since you're definitely right about it being easier to see circular distortion. I guess a good approach is to use the checkered one with numbers to check that your UVs are the right way around, then to check with the circles for a fine look at distortion
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well of course it's up to you how you want to work. Slapping a texture on is faster than using the checker, just drag n drop. Also you can use a texture with all those features in one. I made the 7th one just for that reason.
  • Soulmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Eric and Dan
    that was UV distorsion

Thanks again