Home General Discussion

How do you control your artstyle?

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
A quick look in the 3D Pimping and Previews and you'll see not one artist is the same.

Whether it's people who make their textures "hand painted", some who strive for stylized fantasy or those going for realism.

But I want to know what "standards" do you strive for when making art. What is it about your art pieces that only you do that you like?

Me: I want to create art that is highly photorealistic. So I want to put great attention in using advance graphical techniques like ambient occlusion or global illumination to make my art comparable to a photograph. I pay great attention to saturation and hue in my image. I want to avoid my images looking very muddy or dark compared to a lot of video games out there. My images have to look like they're full of color and brightness. I avoid using post processing filters like chromatic aberration or color grading that I feel would destroy the color balance I worked hard for.

Despite my love of photorealism, I also really care about stylization. I want to combine the two and end up with something close to Looney Tunes or Crash Bandicoot rather than say, Pixar.

Replies

• Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Ain't nobody can control all my style.

Ain't nobody.

Everyone does have their own unique way of doing things, it often becomes recognizable, or a 'style'. That just happens and is not something I ever 'try to control'.

I don't have one way of doing things. Realistic, stylized, hand painted? I'll adapt based on the project. I may be more proficient in one thing over another, but I try not to constrain myself to any one thing. I create something in the style of whatever project I'm working on at the time, and if some of my underlying artistic touches or style comes through in the result, so be it.

You may be thinking a bit too hard about this, and worrying too much about style. Try a broad range of things, and never put artificial restrictions on yourself (except: never steal someone else's work). You never know when a particular technique will come in handy.

As a side note: I can't tell if you're stating what you are ideally trying to achieve, or what you think you currently are achieving, but you may want to watch your wording. Be careful of overconfidence / inflated ego. We've all got a lot left to learn.
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I never set out to make a style, but I guess my art has a certain look to it. I just like making hand painted, cartoony stuff. The way it looks is based on a series of habits I've developed, nothing I intentionally set out to do and call a 'style'.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Feng Zhu mentioned this in one of his videos... don't try to establish your own style. Your style is something that just emerges after years and years of work.

Your brain naturally adopts tidbits of everything you've done and your style starts to form on its own.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Your "style" is mostly your flawed and/or bias way of looking at and interpreting reality.

as everyone mentioned, just go with it and dont think that much about it.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Shiniku wrote: »

As a side note: I can't tell if you're stating what you are ideally trying to achieve, or what you think you currently are achieving, but you may want to watch your wording. Be careful of overconfidence / inflated ego. We've all got a lot left to learn.
    I'm not claiming to be the best or anything like that. I'm only stating a preference I feel comfortable with. I'm not asking anyone to follow it.

For example, originally I wanted to make a thread discussing the rise of chromatic aberration in people's art. But I figured if someone wants to use chromatic aberration, that's their vision even though I disagree with it for my own art.

I also do agree with trying out different styles. I've been looking into pencil crayons or paint brushes and thinking what kind of cool things I can make with them that I'll still enjoy doing.
  • skankerzero
    I just ran across mine after working in the industry for a long while.

I realized the type of textures and proportions that I enjoyed making and embraced it. My 'style' is still in flux as I learn new techniques.
  • Rolt
    On reasonably large projects like this online game, how can the styles of various artists working on the project be coaxed to look similar? Is software used or do artists try to keep the styles similar?
  • DireWolf
    @Rolt - every art created needs to be approved by art directors. And there's also art/style guides in real large team. Check out DOTA style guide.
    http://media.steampowered.com/apps/dota2/workshop/Dota2CharacterArtGuide.pdf
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Style is a function of visual language. This is the signs used to convey the message. In order to change your style you change the signs you are using.

While the DOTA style guide is very thorough it doesn't really cover the actual style of the characters. This is assumed to be understood purely from looking at the existing examples. An experienced artist would be expected to be adept at identifying the style by eye and is something you're expected to learn by practice.

A common technique for learning style is to draw the same subject many times but to change the signs used for representing the subject each time. For example you might draw something using only dots, and only lines, and only gradients. Each time you would learn the value of these elements for representing a message and can develop more complex ways of creating images.
  • Daew
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    This is going to sound arrogant on my part but I felt that one of your paragraphs is misled.
    I pay great attention to saturation and hue in my image. I want to avoid my images looking very muddy or dark compared to a lot of video games out there.

Values play a more important role in making an image muddy/dark. It's more important to play with what is dark and what is bright. What brings contrast and what doesn't. What color you choose is secondary to that.
    So I want to put great attention in using advance graphical techniques like ambient occlusion or global illumination to make my art comparable to a photograph
    I avoid using post processing filters like chromatic aberration or color grading that I feel would destroy the color balance I worked hard for.

From my understanding adding in chromatic aberration is used to simulate a photograph because the lens of a camera distorts the wavelengths of light. Just like when you shine light at a glass prism and it splits your light into different colors. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

Why would you avoid color grading? It feels like you are scared to change your work just because you may have spent a long time on it. Why not try to see if the post filter effects actually add to your work. if it doesn't, then don't use it for that piece of work. Just don't actively avoid something just because you think it can ruin your image, try it first.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Daew wrote:
    From my understanding adding in chromatic aberration is used to simulate a photograph because the lens of a camera distorts the wavelengths of light. Just like when you shine light at a glass prism and it splits your light into different colors. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

CA is apart of photography, I wont attempt to deny that. However, I don't see CA being "desirable" in photorealism. It's actually something photographers attempt to remove from their photos as opposed to keeping it. You can also tell the difference between a photo shot with a top of the line DSLR vs a very cheap $100 camera. The DSLR will feature next to no CA and will have a much cleaner and crisp image as a result of it.

That doesn't mean CA is completely useless or evil. It can have its place. For example, CA is heavily tied to old cameras. If you want to recreate an old scene from the 1800's, you might want to include it to sell the idea "this is an old photograph".

However, here is where my opinion comes in why I try to avoid it. Real life is devoid of CA. Stick out your hand and you wont see any green or red wavelengths lining next to it. Same goes for everything else in a room.

I hold this same opinion for film grain. It does show up in photos but it reflects very old quality. Real life as well, is not made up of "noise" that we can stick out our hand and see up close.
    Daew wrote:
    Why would you avoid color grading? It feels like you are scared to change your work just because you may have spent a long time on it. Why not try to see if the post filter effects actually add to your work. if it doesn't, then don't use it for that piece of work. Just don't actively avoid something just because you think it can ruin your image, try it first.
    My reason for not using color grading is because I want to keep things "vanilla". That is, I wouldn't want to tamper with an image if it already looks real.

You know how in some movies or games, there's usually that extra "yellow filter" thrown in? To me, that isn't photorealistic because real life isn't viewed through a yellow lens (unless you actually wear something like yellow goggles or you're looking through yellow binoculars).

Of course, I can understand the purpose behind it. Certain colors can dictate mood in a scene or have your eyes behave a certain way while watching. But that's another topic.

I also agree with you on trying out these effects. In fact, some of my opinions stems from trying them out in the past. I use to really look up to seeing Chromatic Aberration in images. After a while though, I started getting annoyed by the "blurriness" CA left behind. Eventually, I dropped it all together when I saw the high quality images taken by cutting-edge cameras did away with them and it just looked better to me.

~~~~~~~~~~

Once again, I'm not trying to dictate to others what the standards of art should be. The beauty of polycount and art in general, is that everyone does their own thing. Everyone's approach to art is different which leads to variety as opposed to every art piece looking the same.
  • Gusti
    Personally I´ve always looked on any post-render filter like CA or film grain as a way to break up the perfectness of a rendered image.
    It´s a quick an easy way to create imperfections in the image which in turn fool the eye/perception into thinking the image is more realistic than it is straight out of the renderer.
    Straight lines, perfect colors, too high contrast and too high saturation in my view plagues the "realistic" 3D space in general, and is usually what can seperate great- from mediocre artwork.

Going for photorealism should in my personal view not be a primary goal of anyone doing 3D if its not going to be matched into a photo or film.
    Going for a look that instantly grabs your eye, and makes you want to look closer at an image is.
    Too clean and clinical is just boring.
    Cool factor >>> realism I should say, but thats just my personal view/taste.

The real world in most cases is drab, de-saturated, and flat in contrast unless the sun is shining or you have a studio light setup :P
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Yeah, yeah, I agree. A great challenge in CG is it needs to overcome looking "too perfect". And having CA or film grain can help break that up.

However, I don't think you'll always have to rely on those two to break the spell.

Compare the first Toy Story movie with the sequels. The later films look more real but because the increase in horsepower has lead to bigger texture maps which have more detail (i.e, scratches, dirt, oils), more advance lighting and shadowing and higher polygon counts for detailed environments.

CG will have to continue putting in research and compute power into finding out how lighting behaves in real life so we end up with something that is less artificial looking.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Drawing and 3d can be thought of on a few ways, but in terms of illustration and 3d i think the best way to think about it is an optical illusion to stimulate parts of the brain to trick the brain into seeing certain things.

Most styles are exploits of the optical illusions that the brain uses to make sense of the world. This works because vision is a representative system with flaws (dynamic range, colour perception), and can be tricked. Animation is an optical illusion that exploits persistence of vision for example.
    Under this understanding the effect of a 2d animator stretching a limb to show fast movement is no less valid than a 3d artist emulating motion blur. Both exploit the same optical illusion.

On the colour grading thing. A photo is a flawed representation no matter how you look at it. An image with bad white balance is no less valid an interpretation than a well white balanced image, and is just a different interpretation of the same scene. However in creation of an image, i recommend making the clearest interpretation with as much colour and light information as possible as any other representation is a destructive reduction of information and reduces options down the track.
    An example of this done badly is in bioshock infinity, many enemies had exposure painted into their diffuse textures.

Also RE film grain. Film grain is far more prevalent in film cameras, and is considered by many to be beautiful. It's a stylistic choice, but if you are going with it, i recommend choosing a particular lens to emulate and doing it consistently instead of picking and choosing camera effects.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Speaking of color grading, today was a very rare day where the sky was cloudy and started raining but the sun made everything look yellow.

iTJifVyzWaRd0.JPG

I must have angered the art gods and now they post processed my city! :poly122:
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    my art style can't be controlled! GREEN AND PINK!
  • throttlekitty
    As others said, you find your style(s) along the way. In whatever medium you're working in, style is a set of rules that dictate the look of your art. "Controlling" the style is just sticking to it, making whatever adjustments you need to as you come across new problems.

It can be little things or big things. "I draw hands and eyes like this" or "I smudge transitions into shadows like this".

edit for Justin (via a friend of mine):
    partyhard2000_by_elcal-d4m1kde.png
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    throttlekitty: AWWW YISS!
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    trying to pursue a personal style in the early stages of your learningproces will only limit your artistic abilities. I try to study styles but not stick to them.
    Do i have a personal style? maybe but its not something that i intend to force onto my work unless its deliberate (like my disney sculptstuff).

Just study everything and try to be the best you can be , whatever style comes along on that journey will only evolve together with you
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    a style just sort of evolves without you knowing it, when I was in college someone pointed out a concept and said it was Justin-styled. I never really thought about my "style" before that
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Also yes i agree with Ravenslayer.

Artists who find their strong style too early often spend their entire careers trying to escape it.
  • throttlekitty
    Muzz wrote: »
    Also yes i agree with Ravenslayer.

Artists who find their strong style too early often spend their entire careers trying to escape it.

+1 to this! I've developed some hard habits in my penwork over the years that I find hard to get out of.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I know what I like and what I dislike. That's about the most I can say about "my style". I prefer certain things and I end up making things that fit within that category.

I do however try to be more flexible, trying out other art-styles and become efficient enough in them to be able to work professionally with them.

Right now , being very efficient in Realistic will land you jobs for sure and it's a good way to start :P
  • Chimp
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    there's a distinction to be made with 'style' because it means different things in different contexts.

For example, for one project I might do realism and another I might do cartoony - these are both STYLES, and both /in/ my STYLE. So we have two things that use the same word here.

So for me, I prefer to think of my 'artist's style' like HANDWRITING - I don't think about it, its just how I do my stuff. And I use the word 'style' to talk about what kind of aesthetic I am going for with this particular project.

So with regard to how I control my 'style' as you would put it, I don't. It's my handwriting, its how I do things and its not a concious choice. It's evolved over the years, just like how my handwriting was terrible as a child and is now better.

So whether I am tackling cartoons or hyper real or somewhere between, I don't particularly think about what its doing, I just put down my pixels or triangles in line with my vision for the project.