Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] - Skeleton King - Bones of Fire

Replies

• Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks guys!

Hmm not really a lot of votes, I liked the first two the most to be honost. The rest of the armor got a lot of bones in them so I wanted to have some contrast with the sword. Offcourse there need to be some bones :)

I've started blocking out #2, I might model the different handle as wel before making a high poly version. Let me know what you guys think!

jdyxB.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    New update: Changed the texture of the dragon wing, now it's a more organic wing that's being disintegrated.. not sure if that's the correct word for it :p It's not finished but I think it looks way better then the old version. Also got all the parts together now to get a complete look.

715Zu.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on the high poly version of the sword, here's a preview. Not sure if I will keep this color layout, but i didn't wanted to add to much bones because the rest of the character allready has enough :p

Would love to get some comments, if I'm on the right track!

YIQyC.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    No comments, oh well here's the dragon wing ingame, still need to make the mask textures for the model. As you can see there's on bad thing and that's the chain is slighly deforming with the animation. i tried to change the weights of the bone, but that just seems to make it wurse :s

NusjB.jpg
  • shanks37
    dragon wing looks a lot better now and it's what really pushes this set over the top. my only thought is that the gold chain needs to be darkened or maybe have more shadowing to help distinguish each link.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Shanks!

I've allready changed the links of the chain so they would stand out more. Update coming soon. Started working on the sword first, here's an ingame test. Still need to work on detailing the sword an scale it down slightly.

Let me know what you guys think!

SMIxN.jpg
  • jaydon
    Offline / Send Message
    jaydon polycounter lvl 6
    just realised i replied to an older page! nevermind. looking great! :)
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

Here's on update on the shoulder piece, the dragon skull. Not sure about the colors though, because it's getting a bit to much bones :p I might make a gold/metal version of the skull so the complete set gets some contrast!

Let me know what you guys think, I will post a complete overview later on:

dD2sO.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an overview, also tried some diffrent color variations, don't like 4 and 5 that much.
    I might try some different colors as well. Was hoping to get some response about which fits the rest of the set the best!

ESRgm.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a question about the Weapon slot, it seems that the masks there don't have any use. if I look at the masks from Valve's own sword they are almost blank. Is this the same for the other heroes or am I doing something wrong?

Also I really would like to get some comments about the post above :)

A real king needs a throne :) So I played around a bit with some throne concepts..
    This is what I got so far. Need to finish the other parts first offcourse, but I will try and use the throne for a nice complete shot!

9JwNb.jpg
  • Gareth_Thomas
    Andyk125 I just had a look at SK's sword in game. Other than the armour on his right arm most of his body, including the sword, has a matte finish. This is probably why there is no variation in the colour channels of the mask files. I guess they wanted to have his sword look like it was made of bone like the rest of him.
    I think if you want a shinier look for say your blade or your handle then you would need to follow the normal guide for the masks:
    http://media.steampowered.com/apps/dota2/workshop/Dota2ShaderMaskGuide.pdf
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your comment!

I did use that Maskguide to make my masks at first, but then when I didn't got the exact gold color as the boots of SK, I wanted to try and recieve the same result. But when I almost reproduced the exact masks for my sword I get no result that is even getting close. It's not even getting shiny or anything?

To be honost I didn't get any good results for any of the parts I made. Can it be something with the viewer, or is there an other way to test the textures?

1oMUW.jpg
  • Gareth_Thomas
    I think maybe your value in you green channel is too high. Too much rim lighting is likely to take away from the main specular hot spot. Speaking of which i can't see your alpha channel in for Mask 2. This channel will control the size of the specular hot spot. White=Tiny hot spot, Black=Large hot spot. I think give your metal items say a 25% grey value. This will give a big hot spot but should not blow out the whole item.

Also another thing to check, make sure that the Alpha channel of Mask 1 is not completely black. This apparently causes problems. What you can do is paint a small white dot on a part of the alpha channel that will not affect your texture. IE somewhere where there are no UVs.
    I hope this helps.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    I think maybe your value in you green channel is too high. Too much rim lighting is likely to take away from the main specular hot spot. Speaking of which i can't see your alpha channel in for Mask 2. This channel will control the size of the specular hot spot. White=Tiny hot spot, Black=Large hot spot. I think give your metal items say a 25% grey value. This will give a big hot spot but should not blow out the whole item.

Also another thing to check, make sure that the Alpha channel of Mask 1 is not completely black. This apparently causes problems. What you can do is paint a small white dot on a part of the alpha channel that will not affect your texture. IE somewhere where there are no UVs.
    I hope this helps.

I love you :poly142:

The problem was the alpha channel in the mask1, now it's time to redo all the masks. But I'm really happy I finially fixed this problem. Your my hero!!!
  • Gareth_Thomas
    Haha. I'm just glad I could help. :)
    Now I'm keen to see what your out come is because my SK is very gold heavy and I need to get that right in order for my concept to work.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I tried to get my model in the model viewer but I just couldn't get that working :s Need to get some more info in how to do that.

Here's the finished sword model ingame, hope you guys like it!

5l09Z.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the arm model as well. I changed the mask files so it fits the rest of the parts and gives the correct lightning to the bones. Also added more detail to the textures.

Would really love to get some comments, maybe there are some things need improvements? if you work long at stuff you sometimes mis important things..

DFTui.jpg
  • Nephets
    Just made an account to say the sword looks awesome along with the cape. Really great work.
  • foeffa
    Love this. Bad-ass sword as well. If your set makes it into the game I'll be playing Leoric a lot more haha.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words guys! :)

Here's the finished version of the shoulder piece, hope you guys like it!
    I'm still trying to fix the small problem with the dragon wing, for some reason the links are being stretched and I can't get it fixed correctly, changing the weights didn't help :s

fZELM.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed the problem with the dragon wing :) and updated the textures and masks as well, for now it's also finished. I might need to tweek the gold a bit so it fits the helmet. The gold parts looks a bit to clean so I might darken them a bit.

Let me know what you guys think!

M27Ee.jpg
  • shanks37
    the same thing happens with ursa's armour so i'm pretty sure valved doesn't now how to fix it either :P

only other thing is that the vertabrae are looking too big now that i see them in game. maybe consider shrinking them by 25% or so if you can.
  • JohnArr
    Looking cool, only thing is that with both the shoulder skull and forearm vertibrae you'll have a lot of bone colouration on that side and it might be a bit bland? You could try painting, char-ing or gilding those bones for some variation.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shanks: I'm not sure if it's possible to change the vertabrae, because of the glove. The glove fits perfectly and is allready a bit smaller than the original piece. I can try and scale down the last one (not the smal one) a bit.

@JohnArr: You're completely right, I was having the same problem as you can read a few posts before. I made a simple sketch, but I might get in some more concepts to fix this. Let me know what you think.

TwqKe.jpg
  • JohnArr
    Oh yeah right duuuuuuuuuh, looking good!
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I've changed the shoulder piece, not sure about it but it loos slightly better then before. I might finish up the arm first, because that's the most difficult piece because it uses a lot of the same texture space to make it more detailed.

Epv88.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the arm model, It's slightly smaller, but almost not noticable. Also It's hard to add anything to the textures because of the UV mapping. Most of the vertabrae are using the same UV space and I don't have any tri's left.

I did make a Dragon symbol on the first vertabrae, so it has some variation and it fit's the set well :)

ZhuvR.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok to be honost I didn't really liked the war painted concept of the dragon skull. So I've went in another direction. Here's the result, I think it would fit the character a lot better. What do you guys think?

JZNsw.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm not a lot of comments. Nobody has any opinion about the color or, I'm really strugling with this piece. Not sure if I like the color.

I Finished the helmet though, I completely redid it because of the low quality. Changed the skull on top with a nice dragon shape in gold. Would love to get some comments guys, especially on the shoulder piece! :)

tqHax.jpg
  • hannes d
    Offline / Send Message
    hannes d polycounter lvl 12
    if you are not sure if you like the color, then you do not like it enough
    go in photoshop and play with hue saturation
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    hannes d wrote: »
    if you are not sure if you like the color, then you do not like it enough
    go in photoshop and play with hue saturation

Yeah but it should be a little bit believable. So I'm a bit stuck in the white/brown color as a base. But I will play some more in Photoshop :)
  • shanks37
    shoulder piece looks bitchin now. it really embodies that bones of fire idea :P
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha thanks Shanks, that was exactly the idea :) Here's a small preview of the entire set, still need to tweak a few thing but I'm almost getting there! Hope you guys like it..

2E3eE.jpg
  • JohnArr
    Was going to say the glowing skull needs a bit more contrast and you've already done it :P

Would be cool if Valve can add some small ember trail particles coming from the eyes...
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'm almost calling the set done, need to do some tweaking to the arms, but I'm pretty happy with the result. Tried to make the effect also on the wings but thats been a bit to much.

Still need to test a few things out in the client and then I'm done :)

n7flM.jpg
  • foeffa
    I love the result ... good job! :o
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    foeffa wrote: »
    I love the result ... good job! :o

^
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Guys, I'm currently still working on my Dragon throne. going to try and finish it before I call this set done. Also made a small story about the armor (set), let me know what you guys think: :) It's not finished, and remind my native language isn't English so there can be some mistakes.

Skele King - Bones of Fire

In his search for extending his reach on Earth he looked for more and powerfull armor.
    What better then to use the bones of the most fearsome creatures ever wandered Earth.
    Dragons have been wandering the Earth for ages so he started collecting all kind of bones.
    Every Dragon with their own power and abilities and rareness. It took him deccades to get his ultimate armor.

His helmet is made from bones of the yellow reaper dragon wich wandered England for decades. His yelowish and gold skin is used for some parts of the helmet.

His cloak is made of the bones and the wings of Flecha del Fuego dragon that lived in spain.
    He’s also known as the arrow of the fire dragon. They are extremely fast and maneuverable and their streamlined wings help them take fast and sharper turns than most dragons.

His shoulder armor is made of a Kazilik dragon skull that lived in Turkey. This heavy weight dragon is known a for strong fighting spirit, his bones are very strong and well suited for a lot of heavy impacts.

The gaunlet is made of the vertrabae of a red dragon. Which are known for there deadly balls of fire. Red dragons lived in warm habitats, such as volcanoes or tropical islands.
    Their cunning nature and vanity made them more of an enemy than a friend.

The last but most important piece of his armor is his Typhon Sword. Typhon was the most deadly monster of Greek mythology, He was known as the "Father of all monsters”. He was feared even by the mighty gods. Typhon is defeated by Zeus, who trapped him underneath Mount Etna. In The skeleton Kigs final search he found remains of the battle, as Typhon had hundreds of dragon heads. Some teeth of these dragon heads been preserved and are now used in the Skeleton Kings Sword, also know as Typhon Sword!
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress on my dragon throne :p No comments about the story, is it stupid or funny enough to add?

jpAeb.jpg
  • Vindalia
    Hey, great story to go with your armor set! I'm not sure if the countries of Europe are going to exist in the world of Dota 2, but you could easily make up some fantasy-sounding kingdom names :P Your grammar doesn't look all that bad for somebody whose native language isn't English, but for increasing readability, I'd shorten up each paragraph and focus on one highlight characteristic per item. Great work here! :)
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    @Vindalia: Thank you! Your right about the countries, I removed them and also changed the name of the mount at one that exsists in the Dota 2 universe :) I found a Dota 2 map with names, but I think without the country names it's easier to read.

Here's a final shot from my complete set, also added a picture with the skelton king on his throne :) Hope you guys like it. Still need to make individual shots from each part, and then I'm finished!

05b62.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Completed the overview from the set. Only need to make some pictures for on the workshop, for each different part.. (spamming the forum a bit :p) Comments or crits are always welcome :)

QHOQ1.jpg
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    Your sword came out great and nice presentation.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic wrote: »
    Your sword came out great and nice presentation.

Well after a few comments on the workshop I changed the arm and I might also change the shoulder piece. Luckily I still have a week to perfect everything..

What do you guys prefer, without the cracks or with? Changed the amount of the cracks and also changed the zise, so it will be easier to see from a distance..

q4cEo.jpg

Q8xEY.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Also made changes to the shoulder piece, what do you guys think will look better. My thoughts go to the one with the glowinging (eyes)..

97Jgw.jpg

TPYKR.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Not one comment? Really would love to get some feedback on this guys!

I will post some updates to make the set look less noisy, as this is one of the comments my set got on the workshop page.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    I've changed the some models so it looks less noisy and also to make the parts stand out more from a distance.. This is teh Final result :p

zqzcM.jpg

trCiF.jpg
  • foeffa
    Love the latest version with the shine. :) Looks like a total boss.