Home Stickies

[P&P] - What Are You Working On? 2009 Edition!

Replies

• Steakhouse
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    I thought that was air man when you posted earlier. Very fun takes on the designs.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Damn alex, you are prob one of my fav environment artists out there buddy! Awesome style, I love how the tree bark reads, would love to see some mroe breakdown shots, even how you have setup your materials etc.

Looks fun :)
  • Mechadus
    @ kio - Thanks for the breakdown! Very helpfull!

@ Spacey - I agree with you that it all blends together too much - Im definitely going to work on that for my next model.

@ ImSlightlyBored - thats amazing work - I love stylized 3d, and that image you posted is very nice. Looks like thats going to be a very fun scene to light.

-N
  • raiskul
    so after searching and not finding any reference images that I like I decided to draw some my self and here they are...use them if you like

th_human_male_reference_back.jpgth_human_male_reference_front.jpgth_human_male_reference_side.jpg
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    @ ImSlightlyBored
    Awesome!
    It really looks like it could be a inked and colorized comic panel! :) That "inky" bark structure adds a lot to it.
  • Mechadus
    STEREO!!!!!!!

Kropat_STEREO.jpg

Got bored and this came out of my brain space

...meh

-N
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    cLAND.jpg

Why do the games I play not look like this WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!

Gorgeous, amazing, etc. Please make a mod or something.
  • HellMark
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    I'mSlightlyBored - Quick go work on the new Alice game! :) This style would be awesome for that.

Mechadus - Awesome! Was totally thinking Brutal Legend and the wall of amps that was briefly shown on the Jace Hall show.

Updates on my WAR shield...

WARChaosShieldWIPRender27.jpg

Thread - http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=62503
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    orionburcham: Cool!
    But you've got a lot of dodgy normal map issues on the top of that large case, and on those grey cases. Is that Max's viewport? You might want to either try a different baker (xnormal) or maybe a different shader if you're not already using a custom one. In my experience Max's baking and normalmap display is pretty weak.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    @Neox, Jason;
    http://boards.polycount.net/showpost.php?p=933239&postcount=22
    I have put a long post in my sketchbook to avoid clogging this thread, it has more images on the set up and sort of stuff that's gone in it, thought process etc
    I have included a sample diffuse texture. Alot of it is hand-drawn, mixed with normal texturing techniques (this is because, I need the art in it to be malleable, and perhaps used outside of one style...)

@Pope Adam, Acapulco, Spacey;
    Cheers guys! It is really good to get positive feedback on this, because it has been looking pretty bad for a while. Or, not good. I have been working pretty blind, not knowing if it was going to come together. The general census at work is that it's nice now (though before when I was working on it.. mixed views)

Mechadus;
    cheers man! not sure how easy it is to light, I have to keep tweaking my uber PP because there might be some colours I want to let back in. I really like the idea of spot colour here and there to draw the eye. I currently have a red/green harmony going on, because I've not seen it too frequently and thought it might be a nice scheme. But some nice pools of different colours might really help. Do you have any lighting ideas so far? I definitely need to layer the lights, to make the building pop more.

Davision3D
    thanks man! that is mostly what I want to hear, that it could be seen as an inky 2D piece, or feel more illustrative. Also good to hear feedback on the trees, because I am a little unsure on them.

HellMark;
    again, thats great man, because I really want it to feel like a fairy tale sort of feel (it's a set up for Hansel and Gretel...) so luckily, I seem to have achieved that? My lead env artist, and another artist at work, have also said it feels like alice in wonderland/fairy tales.

Blenderhead
    cheers man!
    its quite mad to have marcus fenix running around inside this. But I built it at a massive scale, so its like 'honey I shrunk the gears'! It's not too optimised either, as it's intended for cinematic sort of purposes (no gameplay) so my package size is almost as big as my johnson. Almost.
  • Mechadus
    @ ImSlightlyBored - Love what you have going on so far. Red and green lighting is awesome when done well, but its very hard to get right imo. The problem I always have when trying to use red and green is that the colors dont blend too well if you have overlapping edges of your spot cones... It usually ends up looking mustardy yellow at best, so I try to keep the colors seporated and stick a white or light blue omni between the cones to blend the 2 spots smoothly.... If that makes any sense... I havent tried lighting in Unreal yet, so I dont know how easy that is.

If I was to play with the lighting, Id love to drop a nice soft moonlight behind the house, and stay with the nice green and reds you have going on now. The moon could be a 'rim light' that could put some soft dark blue/purple highlights on the back faces of your trees, and a big full moon behind the trees with a dark sky could help shilouette the house and up the spooOoooky factor nicely :) Some intense reds around the bottom of the house could break the middle ground away from the foreground. The green lights in your foreground are great - I think it frames out the foreground well. Since what you have is so styalized already I think you can really get away with pushing some crazy lighting!

Those are just my ideas tho... You have an awesome start on this and I cant wait to see more :)

-N
  • frubes
    Dont get much time outside of work to do any personal stuff so i thought i would post this quick WIP. Part of a much bigger personal project i have. This should become an engine by tomorrow if i get some more time to work on it.

enginetest1.jpg

Cool shader imslightlybored :)
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Mechadus : with the angle you have on the render, I'm thinking those things are 30-40 feet high! Be cool to see a scaled down rocker jamin' out in front.

orionburcham : Nice cases...

Hellmark: love that shield.
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Looking at the guns that Earthquake supplied with the Marmoset Toolbag got me jealous, even though I never made one before. So I made this today :) .

thompsonrender.jpg
  • seantree
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    Why do the games I play not look like this WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!

Gorgeous, amazing, etc. Please make a mod or something.

I would instantly buy a title that looked like that. Shit is too good.
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    well finished up his high poly, now all time to bake it

weeeeeeeeeeeeee

bot_armor.jpg
    bot_noarmor.jpg
  • kjell
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    Looking at the guns that Earthquake supplied with the Marmoset Toolbag got me jealous, even though I never made one before. So I made this today :) .

thompsonrender.jpg

that looks impressive for a 1-day job mate!
  • Mechadus
    katana wrote: »
    Mechadus : with the angle you have on the render, I'm thinking those things are 30-40 feet high! Be cool to see a scaled down rocker jamin' out in front.

I kinda used a worms eye view, but in 3d space I modeled the speakers 12' tall ;)

-N
  • acapulco
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    decopillar1-2.jpg

For my next ut3 map. Lil' test.
  • osman
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Playing around with some 'bridge' designs for my splashdamage scene.
    32.png
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    _Oz looking quite sharpe, nice model but maybe too sharpe for your scene?
  • osman
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Leave that to unreal, it tends to blur everything I put in it lol.
  • vladino
    Offline / Send Message
    vladino polycounter lvl 14
    Another island, one more to go.. the jungle

game20.jpg
  • Lord McMutton
  • Ferg
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    lovin it vlad!
  • zerafian
    mech: I'd be afraid to walk into a club with that set uo HA!

Some close ups would be nice...the detail keeps me looking at the scene so saying that its an appealing piece to me so far :)
  • {scumworks}
    Been working on a bow mod for TES:Oblivion, finished the highpoly today.

bow2.jpg

Even made ortho x'S

bow.jpg
  • kio
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    nice planet again vladino

scumworks - cool bow, what setting is the mod settled in?

i did a tank thing for airborn
    tanks.jpg
  • pixelchaot
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelchaot polycounter lvl 17
    hey kio really nice work!
    I am very curious about the last airborn update... :)
    this my ruff blockout for the asian trader...much work to do. i think the back looks a little boring at the moment?!

asian_trader_wip_by_pixelchaot.jpg
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    daeemn that bow design is pretty slick scum-

-not a big enough update for my dom-war thread, so I`m putting this here:
    DW_10.jpg
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    konstrukt thats great, but what is that thing on his chest, is someone going to sit there? looks just like a backrest

as it seems to be airborn time, i just worked on the colours of the scout and finished the highpoly, but as i was too lazy to update the materials in zbrush i only have a coloured version of the basemesh to show \o/

soldat_07.jpg

@beni and daniel: keep going, love the recent works :)
  • Super
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Neox, thats bad ass.

Following through with my idea of a skateboarder kid, just about done with blocking in.

skaterguy.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    jesus neox im so in lov with that style man , clean and awesome , do you have a website for airborn ?
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Scumworks that is an awesome bow! I'd love to play around with it, but unfortunately I get about 5 fps while playing oblivion on my laptop so I have it on my PS3 :D

Damn cool entry Konstruct.

Airborn is going to be the most beautiful mod ever; I don't care how long it takes to come out! :D
  • vladino
    Offline / Send Message
    vladino polycounter lvl 14
    Amazing stuff on this page guys!!

Love the model Konstruct! ;)
  • obson
    Offline / Send Message
    obson polycounter lvl 17
    farm_bg.jpg

started working on something in Construct.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    thank you guys, we are pushing fast forward now

@super: maybe his hands are a bit too small?

@blenderhead: we need to publish something before may 15th to join MSUC so i guess there will be something (with emphasis on something, like nothing finished ;) ) by then
    so if anyone is interested in walking around on the harbour, get yourself a xbox controller and UT3 as we didn't implement any good keyboard/mouse controls fior the first demo ;)

@johny: no only the moddb page, a website takes time we don't have or don't want to put into something that is not directly connected to the mod, right now, of course :)

:edit: obson absolutely lovely :)
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    damn, there's some slick shit being posted lately. Keep it up you magnificent bastards!
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I was gonna say; this is a great page.

Neox, what kind of gameplay are we going to see in Airborn?
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    in the first demo, i'm happy that we have walking around, jumping and looking around working :P
    it is really not going to be much, more like a graphics demo with very very lowlevel mechanics
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    @ neox: exactly- although I think I bit off a bit too much :(
    also good luck with the MSUC. Airborn looks amazing and it would be cool to make something that gives death ball (or whatever the crap its called) a run for their money.
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    Neox: ur chr looks awesome as always.

work in progress torch:

3459014311_857d776587_o.jpg
    3459829924_71aa61cb5b_o.jpg

its a activation device of that opens a lock door once its lit on fire.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    konstruct wrote: »
    @ neox: exactly- although I think I bit off a bit too much :(
    also good luck with the MSUC. Airborn looks amazing and it would be cool to make something that gives death ball (or whatever the crap its called) a run for their money.

Is it that bad? Isn't it the mod by Hourences? haven't played due to the limited time i have.
    We owe Hourences a lot, his tutorials tought me a lot about the unreal engine, he is in the airborn credits ;)
  • ArtsyFartsy
    heavy wip but whatever
    needs diffuse and spec loving and more props adding as well as polish
    and lighting
    argh
    cLAND.jpg

running in UE3 no additional post

This has forever changed my ideas about what game art can be. You will show texture flats NOW!

The rest of your portfolio is great stuff too, and you're barely out of school. I hate you all.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    This has forever changed my ideas about what game art can be. You will show texture flats NOW!

The rest of your portfolio is great stuff too, and you're barely out of school. I hate you all.
    oh man thanks! thats immense words
    Will not show texture flats >: O
    ok maybe one
    bricks_diffuse2.JPG
    This changes dependant on distance, so far-out texture uses much more broad lines. I also keep in mind a grayscaled/blurred version when drawing, so width of line is varied accordingly to create a basis for normals/bumpoffset map (all I have to do is gaussian blur it slightly and bam)

I have made a few edits since
    added foliage, started (not finished!) lighting (I think its lighting I need most help with tbh) added a moon and placeholder candycanes
    I have made an edit to the tree mats so they also stream detail dependant on z position, as well as have a stronger normal map which carries alot of the dark fills

screengrab.JPG

I think the sky should be darker?
    Sorry for quality apparently photoshop is broken here : ?
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    crazy awesome shit bored. nice work.
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    AH- yeah not to diss on Hourances- for some reason I thought death ball was still kicking ass in MSU, which was mind blowing because they`ve been around foooreeever.. It would be nice to have something fresh and new in the top ranks. ( i thought I saw something on the modDB about it) looked it up- last update was for ut2004. sooooo nevermind :P

Bored- that texture is nuts, Im guessing thats all done by hand? also the sky in that image is a bit muddy,, Id keep the sky light- but silouette the building more. theres a blurry mass behind the bricks above the doughnuts that make it a bit confusing to look at. Amazing work though man, I`d love to play a game in this style.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Hourences mod is The Ball, not to be confused with Deathball
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    oh noo, ImSlightlyBored what have you done!? :D
    Looked so much better before! What did you do to the lighting/material setup, didnt you had a material that kept the inky looking details on the bark black? Please bring that back, i loved the whole ink style. :) Right now its looks very washed out on the lighted areas on the bark! That bloom makes it also looks a bit washed out which i think doesnt fit to the inky style. Also what is that green blurred thingy in the background? I think a sharp big white moon along with some illuminated clouds could be nice.
  • Mechadus
    @ Imslightlybored - I just took 5 mins while my boss was on the phone and did a super nasty paintover of your original post - Id like to see the lighting more something like this...

paintover.jpg

Just my 2 cents tho...

-N
This discussion has been closed.