Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Hey guys, I made a sword for KOTL, concepted by the lovely Bel! I hope you like it :x, it's a bit different from his regluar. I also made a couple variants for those that might prefer kotl's other colours.

F8008D606736C9E24AF89550413838D67DC0B918

go vote for your favorite!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=203159861
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruined Winter Bringer
    2081B90A780C283E3ACCDBE20B5F72B462462DD6

doc47308563_250528251?hash=d28dd6b6408bb00d71&dl=26bdf3edea47a74132&wnd=1
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    Hey guys, got some news !!

I didn't realize it at first but it turns out that Valve included the two color variants for my Sniper set ! Now of course I suppose that there is no hard rule for that kind of submission - I bet that not every color will get accepted, but it's pretty cool to see that they are not strictly opposed to recolors (as long as they work with the character of course...)

Sorry for the spam - I just thought that it could be a good thing to share in this global tread, as it could have some cool repercussions in the future :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/pior_ubb/pior_sniper_wolf_style_selection_zps49c3834b.jpg~original

Awesome Pior :) thanks for posting that.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    tumblr_mxts4ptA3e1r43xj0o1_1280.png
    working on a drill fudgiewudgie told me to do a while ago and never did it until now
    she's currently texturing it
  • MagnoHusein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klbqpsm.png

MAKE IT HAPPEN
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    working on a drill fudgiewudgie told me to do a while ago and never did it until now

I like the potential penetration power ;)
  • MechBgum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

it looks like a just cone with this geometry :s
    not sure if I like this idea. also it looks too long, probably will clip with the ground.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Piercing through the Heavens and the Milky Way ! hehe ;)

Besides that : I would like to hear a bit about people's approach and tips regarding the authoring and previewing of specular maps across the Dota experience. I am bringing this up because it seems to me that the game and the built-in importer are not being very consistent in that regard.

For instance, when working on my set I tried to balance the textures so that they would show up nicely in the loadout screen, since this is the place where people can be up close and personal with items and see them at their best LoD and texture resolution. This involved tweaking the Mask1 and Mask2 textures little by little until the spec and metalness feel "just right".

However, once I launched ingame preview to see things in context, I noticed that the specular map was not showing up at all - even after zooming in close with the recently added third person view.

A few weeks later I see the same item/set in the "proper" game after them being added by Valve, and now things look quite different : the loadout preview seems to have a stronger spec behavior and ingame things are even more drastically different from what I expected, giving everything a plastic look.

(I can upload screenshots if necessary)

Does that mean that the default shader being applied during import is different (or has different multipliers) from the ones applied effectively applied to specific heroes and items ? And is there a proven, safe way to preview items exactly as they will look like in the game ultimately ?

There might be ways to troubleshoot this using the recently updated HLMV viewer. Anyone had some good experience with that ? (I successfully used the CGgo and Alien Swarm versions of it before, but I had trouble running the very latest one which supposedly has better Dota support)

Thanks for any tips and help !
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MechBgum wrote: »
    it looks like a just cone with this geometry :s
    not sure if I like this idea. also it looks too long, probably will clip with the ground.

I wanted to give the drill more silhouette through geometry but I'm already cutting the tri count dangerously close as it is
    this is the only feasible way to do it

as for length, I can scale the tip of the drill down.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Piercing through the Heavens and the Milky Way ! hehe ;)

Besides that : I would like to hear a bit about people's approach and tips regarding the authoring and previewing of specular maps across the Dota experience. I am bringing this up because it seems to me that the game and the built-in importer are not being very consistent in that regard.

For instance, when working on my set I tried to balance the textures so that they would show up nicely in the loadout screen, since this is the place where people can be up close and personal with items and see them at their best LoD and texture resolution. This involved tweaking the Mask1 and Mask2 textures little by little until the spec and metalness feel "just right".

However, once I launched ingame preview to see things in context, I noticed that the specular map was not showing up at all - even after zooming in close with the recently added third person view.

A few weeks later I see the same item/set in the "proper" game after them being added by Valve, and now things look quite different : the loadout preview seems to have a stronger spec behavior and ingame things are even more drastically different from what I expected, giving everything a plastic look.

(I can upload screenshots if necessary)

Does that mean that the default shader being applied during import is different (or has different multipliers) from the ones applied effectively applied to specific heroes and items ? And is there a proven, safe way to preview items exactly as they will look like in the game ultimately ?

There might be ways to troubleshoot this using the recently updated HLMV viewer. Anyone had some good experience with that ? (I successfully used the CGgo and Alien Swarm versions of it before, but I had trouble running the very latest one which supposedly has better Dota support)

Thanks for any tips and help !

I've always gone off of the model preview until recently when we got the in-game test and showcase mode. I think that's currently the best way to test, and it is inconsistent. The ways the shaders behave is very different under different light sources/conditions. I try to find a spot on the map that's more neutral and not shadowed or with external illumination other than the sun. The lighting setup for the preview is still important though as I believe it's consistent with the loadout hero preview. So a balance between the two is best.

The shader properties are contained in the VMTs for each object and hero. The values in there vary by hero. They can also be changed after you've submitted your items which leads to unpredictable changes in shading that we have no control over.

A tip I'd give is to tweak the rim and the spec both independently. While working on one, black out the other. The rim lighting is a really unpredictable element and the strength in the vmts seems to be wildly different per hero. On my recent meepo set, the rim light behavior seemed to change a lot just between launching the game without making any changes to the maps. It began to show up on the front faces of surfaces that it probably shouldn't have been on. I had to paint it out on the top of the hat brim so it wasn't as bright as the sun in the portrait view and from above in-game.

The model viewer isn't a good place to test maps. The ways in which it's better than the other model viewers are mostly about support for cloth sim and proper support for the metalness/illumination/fresnel warp, but the lighting is still the same and not consistent with the game. If you want to get it working, I posted a method on the previous page that makes it easier to set up.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting, thank you for sharing all this.

I am very picky about that kind of stuff therefore I am pretty much set on trying to get to the bottom of this issue in the coming days/week :D

You mention that the material values do vary by hero, which is indeed what I suspected. (this is not too surprising, considering the number of iterations that Valve went through with the game). I will be diving into various VMTs soon in order to learn more about that.

From there I am wondering : does anyone know which shader/material values are being applied to models at the ingame workshop import stage ? I suppose that if we know these values, and the values applied to a given hero, we could then come up with some kind of conversion guide ...
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    silhouette testing for gyro. going with a steampunk F-14/swing-wing theme, maybe an F-4 inspired nose and intake set.

tNzFCky.jpg
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Interesting, thank you for sharing all this.

I am very picky about that kind of stuff therefore I am pretty much set on trying to get to the bottom of this issue in the coming days/week :D

You mention that the material values do vary by hero, which is indeed what I suspected. (this is not too surprising, considering the number of iterations that Valve went through with the game). I will be diving into various VMTs soon in order to learn more about that.

From there I am wondering : does anyone know which shader/material values are being applied to models at the ingame workshop import stage ? I suppose that if we know these values, and the values applied to a given hero, we could then come up with some kind of conversion guide ...

There's a Max shader which simulates the dota hero shader posted in tech talk. It helps to get to see what the VMT settings do. It has all those controls in it so you can match it to a specific hero's VMT.

The whole thread is probably worth a read but make sure to get shader version 2.2 on the last page.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110022&page=8

Edit: I see you posted in there before Pior so you're probably already aware of it.

I'll leave this post for newer people who might not be though.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Frump wrote: »
    There's a Max shader which simulates the dota hero shader posted in tech talk. It helps to get to see what the VMT settings do. It has all those controls in it so you can match it to a specific hero's VMT.

The whole thread is probably worth a read but make sure to get shader version 2.2 on the last page.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110022&page=8

Edit: I see you posted in there before Pior so you're probably already aware of it.

I'll leave this post for newer people who might not be though.

Didn't valve release their testing application with dota 2? I remember it coming up in a recent update and posts in polycount but I didn't really bother investigating further.

EDIT: I couldn't find the post. :( But I remember it was something along the lines of
    -- Valve has a private testing application to test heroes and stuff and released to the public in one of the recent updates.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup Frump I have been using the Max version of this shader already, and it is fantastic in the sense that it does have all the real controls and inputs used by the game - down to Mask1 and Mask2 in their proper format. In that regard it is invaluable :)

I think the issue lies with the multipliers, since it is very tempting to fiddle with them in order to get something nice in the Max viewport, only to be surprised in the end ... And of course, another question is : what are the default values, and how strongly are they being tweaked on a per-hero basis !

Also, who knows : maybe the items don't necessarily use the same shader and values as the heroes wearing them ...

As for the newer test application, I think they were indeed talking about the new version of HLMV but I'll double check tomorrow.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Silencer weapon like no other :). Hope you like it.

Aeol Drias Legacy by Vayne and Robo

FC1C88E6A22C5963B143A7CBF1F9F00929BA56D7

5BtHxNo.gif
    SelMFHg.jpg
    mDVExXr.gif
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    first version of my wraith king set concept - weapon & arms, still work in progress.
    looking for a collabo to build it :)

wraithking%20set%20Kopie.jpg
  • kremrhi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shameless crosspost from my thread
    It's a mongolian style set I did for Storm Spirit.
    Hope you guys like it
    4E7E87DAC7255BF3F3D6C3B8C0EBCA5BFF94EE4A
    268x268.resizedimage268x268.resizedimage268x268.resizedimage
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    Silencer weapon like no other :). Hope you like it.

Aeol Drias Legacy by Vayne and Robo

5BtHxNo.gif

I like it Vayne and Robo, but i have a feeling that the yellow parts (which i assume are gold) would need some more metalness and colored specular, to pop out fron the purple material...right now they look the same material with different colors
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    motenai wrote: »
    I like it Vayne and Robo, but i have a feeling that the yellow parts (which i assume are gold) would need some more metalness and colored specular, to pop out fron the purple material...right now they look the same material with different colors

I agree, also the gold color looks quite different than the original gold of the character. Maybe take a closer look to the original masks.

The one thing i don't like is the blue round parts, why don't make them like gems.
    You got more detail and it will stand out better. Did a really quick paintover for you.

6YjBR1v.jpg

I finally finished most parts for the ogre set I'm making with mango. Now I just need to get some more details into it and I can call the high poly finished. Comments are always welcome!

Hdg0Bpt.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    That clearly wont happen until Vidotto get's one.
    never-give-up.jpg

i remember you months ago saying "i will never get another item in game, valve hates me. i just want give wards a new level of complexity"

and one day you got like 3 itens in game =]
  • ExpositionFairy
    Hello everybody.
    I don't know if this is the right topic, but it seems to be the general discussion one.

I am new to Dota 2 modelling and wanted to ask a few questions about it. The first thing I'm interested in concerns high-poly versions of models.
    I would like to know whether I would require a lot of processing power in order to be able to sculpt in high-poly in appropriate values - since I only have 8 GB RAM and dual core of 3.3 GHz CPU. I have been told by a person I know (who seems to know a bit about modelling) that to make appropriate, high-quality models, I would require at least 64 GB RAM or so, which is a ridiculously high amount for me :(
    I would also like to ask what purpose do high-poly models actually serve. As far as I can understand it, they are made in order to make low-poly version look like more detalied, by obtaining light maps, and it also makes texturing way easier - from what it seems to me. Is that right?
    Also, what sort of order are low- and high-poly models made in? Do you make low-poly first, and then work on it by sculpting, or do you do high-poly and somehow convert it to low-poly?
    In either case, are there any tutorials that show how do you actually transfer the light map (or whatever it is) from a high poly to a low poly?

Would be grateful to anyone who could help.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, I'm like that about 50% of the time
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup Frump I have been using the Max version of this shader already, and it is fantastic in the sense that it does have all the real controls and inputs used by the game - down to Mask1 and Mask2 in their proper format. In that regard it is invaluable :)

I think the issue lies with the multipliers, since it is very tempting to fiddle with them in order to get something nice in the Max viewport, only to be surprised in the end ... And of course, another question is : what are the default values, and how strongly are they being tweaked on a per-hero basis !

Also, who knows : maybe the items don't necessarily use the same shader and values as the heroes wearing them ...

As for the newer test application, I think they were indeed talking about the new version of HLMV but I'll double check tomorrow.
    You can find the proper values in the vtm files for the hero.

But you need to be sure the shader works just like the one in-game...
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    i remember you months ago saying "i will never get another item in game, valve hates me. i just want give wards a new level of complexity"

I'm at the first step right now, I'll keep my fingers crossed for the second part. ;)
  • MurathIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MurathIII polycounter lvl 5
    1AFD243C0B6689F0435CE8EDB8A94B8D47D12B54

Hi guys, this is our new set of Faceless Void
    created by Zarrad and Patosh, vote if you like it, ty
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=204611414
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    @Andyk5 aw ogre always looks so cute haha. The set looks really nice, my only suggestion is to add more randomness to the leaves on the shoulder.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Got all the items for the Lion set textured and imported. There's no masks yet and still got a lot of tweaks to do.

slimeset_wip_04.jpg
  • Jalcober
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Tvidotto wrote: »

Hahah I know! I beat myself up too much sometimes. :P
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Farfarer : cool, I'll get on with that soon. If I remember correctly the Max shader is actually pretty accurate in its calculations, so hopefully it should just be a matter of finding some way to convert the values consistently...
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    The Dota 2 store is now open in China!

My Crystal Maiden set is the featured sale for the day too, nice coincidence.

http://store.dota2.com.cn/
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooooh maybe this partly explains the removal of Skeleton King then ? If I understand correctly, China is not too found of the representation of skeletons in video games ...
  • Oroboros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooooh maybe this partly explains the removal of Skeleton King then ? If I understand correctly, China is not too found of the representation of skeletons in video games ...

Partially..SK also bore a close resemblance to Diablo's Skeleton boss.

Valve did make a bunch of changes in China due to cultural beliefs- any hero with exposed bones, zombie like appearance or otherwise had to be redesigned.

Gallery of all the 'low violence' heroes.
    http://imgur.com/a/TWi1M#0

Redesigned icons
    hMPIz4G.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that certainly played a role too. Very interesting stuff, than you for posting the icon page - that's certainly something to keep in mind when doing custom art for the game from now on ...
  • bangbangteng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the debut set from Team Wrench, Tide Hunter's Champion of the Deep!

Thanks for your help, 'hope we get this set in the store!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=204677632

sWeGgZJ.jpg

FQucJpR.jpg

h64GAGZ.jpg

nqeaQiw.jpg
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    The Dota 2 store is now open in China!

My Crystal Maiden set is the featured sale for the day too, nice coincidence.

http://store.dota2.com.cn/

Good news! this should mean more sales hopefully!
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Looks like we can't use Ember Spirit's sword flame particles. We have to make the full swords. I tested by loading in a handle and no particles are there. No option to load in a particle mesh either. Maybe this will be changed later, but for right now any weapons are going to be less cool than the defaults.
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good news again then...i was about to start working on swords for him and thank god i wasn't counting on those particles at all :)
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oroboros wrote: »
    Partially..SK also bore a close resemblance to Diablo's Skeleton boss.

Valve did make a bunch of changes in China due to cultural beliefs- any hero with exposed bones, zombie like appearance or otherwise had to be redesigned.

Gallery of all the 'low violence' heroes.
    http://imgur.com/a/TWi1M#0

Redesigned icons
    hMPIz4G.jpg

Does that mean now we should consider this in new items?

Some of the new heroes look weird, like sf and lifestealer. Also, what do you guys think will happen with undying and previous sets that had bones in it, like the tidehunter set and huskar set?
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Ok that new Shadow Fiend is pretty hilarious, ahah. Poor guy!
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    Ok that new Shadow Fiend is pretty hilarious, ahah. Poor guy!

He should just get a mask of madness head
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Does anyone have a link to Wraith King's workshop models and materials? Thanks
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    vertical wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link to Wraith King's workshop models and materials? Thanks

u can extract it from gamefiles with GCFscape
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    I did everything in that regard but as soon as I want to decompile the .mdl's, StudioCompiler crashes.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    vertical wrote: »
    I did everything in that regard but as soon as I want to decompile the .mdl's, StudioCompiler crashes.

Are you pointing to he Alien Swarm sdk? you need to rename the .dx90 to .dx80 on the file extensions. I have also found i need to leave the output folder as the default documents folder, otherwise it has issues.
  • MagnoHusein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sCZxXQd.png

Ok guys sorry for not replying the messages about the ember set, this is the color version. I will see who will do it tomorrow!

Any suggestions?
  • ExpositionFairy
    Reposting this, since the post had to be approved by the moderator and it is now a few pages back and nobody was able to see it.
    Hello everybody.
    I don't know if this is the right topic, but it seems to be the general discussion one.

I am new to Dota 2 modelling and wanted to ask a few questions about it. The first thing I'm interested in concerns high-poly versions of models.
    I would like to know whether I would require a lot of processing power in order to be able to sculpt in high-poly in appropriate values - since I only have 8 GB RAM and dual core of 3.3 GHz CPU. I have been told by a person I know (who seems to know a bit about modelling) that to make appropriate, high-quality models, I would require at least 64 GB RAM or so, which is a ridiculously high amount for me :(
    I would also like to ask what purpose do high-poly models actually serve. As far as I can understand it, they are made in order to make low-poly version look like more detalied, by obtaining light maps, and it also makes texturing way easier - from what it seems to me. Is that right?
    Also, what sort of order are low- and high-poly models made in? Do you make low-poly first, and then work on it by sculpting, or do you do high-poly and somehow convert it to low-poly?
    In either case, are there any tutorials that show how do you actually transfer the light map (or whatever it is) from a high poly to a low poly?

Would be grateful to anyone who could help.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Mmmm you're friend doesn't know what he's talking about, 64 gigs of RAM is overkill to the highest degree, you'd probably get away with 8 but 16 works well for me in ZBrush and Maya.

High poly models are used to generate normal maps and other light maps to help the texturing process. Usually you make a base mesh and take it into a sculpting program to generate the high poly then you have to retopologize it down to game resolution.

As for tutorials on the process just google 'baking normal maps'

Though if you're asking these questions it sounds like you're pretty new to the entire game art pipeline. Perhaps try modeling something on your own before diving into the DotA style. Just a suggestion though :)
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @ExpositionFairy about the hipoly sculpting your friend must have something mistaken. For example ZBrush (most popular sculpting software) is 32-bit and don't support more than 4GB of ram as far as I know. Even if you would like to manualy model hipoly models in 3dmax/maya/blender 8GB of ram should be more than enought for dota2 model. 64GB is needed if someone would like to make super complex models for cinematics/movies in with transformers or pacific rim ammount of detail. Saying this you should not worry about your spec.

Hipoly models are mostly made for as you said grab detail for low poly models that are made later based on that hipoly. Its also easier, you can make hipoly with no limitation and later build lowpoly based on it that will be within game limits(number of triangles and texture size).

About the tutorials be sure to check this thread:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123800
    For sure you will find there something useefull.

For starters I would suggest you to try and made a single weapon for any character. It should be most straight forward, and some tutorial (for example those made by Lennyagony) explains this process very detailed.

Anyway welcome in the community, and good luck with your work!! :)