Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Asset Feedback Please.

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
seandxyz polycounter lvl 5
#Student
So I've decided to attempt to create my own game, to push my skills, starting with a small aged hub/base environment, in the middle of the desert.

First asset that i have created is a ship/shuttle landing pad... take a look...

symtee.jpg
izstud.jpg
2hnrg94.jpg

Replies

• Jet_Pilot
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    Your render is too dark. Don't use a black background... ever. Add some more renders from different angles so we can get a better look at the entire structure.
  • seandxyz
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, here...
    2j6za0.jpg
    33p9b1y.jpg
    hwwrw9.jpg
    2qitjww.jpg
  • AgelosAp
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Hey there, what 's your process for creating this?
    Also since you said you are planning to make a game,
    what 's your inspirations and what kind of style do you wish to achieve?
    I 'm asking all this to understand what you have in your mind and help you achieve it,
    right now I could say this doesn't look realistic and what to do to start making it more so,
    but realistic may not be your intent.
  • seandxyz
    Offline / Send Message
    Similar to Jack and Daxter if you have ever played that, the desert fortress... now obviously creating a game is a big task yes, but I'll do bits and pieces when i can, only level 3 games Dev student atm, got good knowledge of unity and bit of ue4...

But yeah the Hub/base consists of erm.... got a plan somewhere ..

2emfuq9.jpg

But yeah going for a rustic look... I'm trying to do realistic(ish) yes maybe more towards believable, but I've not much experience, learning as i go ;) any pointers welcome..
  • AgelosAp
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Alright, as for the process I meant if you are using a 3d modelling software like 3ds max and Photoshop or you have put other stuff in to play too, like nDo or Zbrush maybe.

It 's ok doing bits and pieces especially if you are a student, but my advice on that would be to have an ultimate goal like modelling a specific level or room, that way you don't have endless work ahead of you and you won't get disappointed by never completing it.

As for the asset, I 'm still not sure what 's your aim. I haven't actually played Jak and Daxter but from what I see it 's pretty stylized, if you are using it as a general reference and then making everything realistic, it would serve you better to reference real objects too each time you model something.
    So with realism in mind I'd tell you metals are very much about their specular channels, the platform looks pretty flat now in that aspect. Also the rust should distribute less evenly, by being more concentrated towards welding points
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Your mesh looks pretty good for what it is, maybe a little bit of cleanup in some areas where edges don't contribute to the silhouette.

If you're going for realistic textures, you might want to look into PBR. It's quickly becoming a standard for modern games.

PBR In Practice - Marmoset.co
    PBR Guide - Allegorithmic

The big thing I'm noticing in regards to textures is the brushed metal effect you have that runs across the entire platform. It looks slapped on, with no regard for changes in material type or surface contour. Surfaces almost never have a uniform detail across the entire material unless they are brand new straight out of the factory. Take the time to consider how the scratches and other surface details might actually have been made over time (age, frequency of use, how it's used, backstory, etc.). Doing so should yield much cleaner, convincing texture work.
  • seandxyz
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty well experienced with both Photoshop and 3Ds max, what i used for this piece... i do have a high res version ofcourse... I'm familiar with Zbrush and Maya, but no expert in those atm, using XNormal for AOs/Normal bakes etc, can do in max but find it easier in XNormal...

As for realistic texturing I guess that I should thoroughly learn material properties and features to be able to recreate them? :)

As for workload yeah, i agree smaller projects, going to just focus on doing this hub/base as a level, to which i can run round and play in, and then possibly extend later.
  • tahakitan
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    look into PBR. you could cut some of these things textures by half easily. just think this way, you won't see the other side of the pillar with the lights. so why would you make them different? it takes 2x the space and decreases your details. Nobody will notice that every like is different anyway. good job though. keep it up.