Home Unity

Linear Space Bypass sRBG

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Starkist polycounter lvl 9
Hi folks,

I'm using the PBR shader from the shader wiki: http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/Physically-inspired_Shader

For it to work correctly I need to work in Linear Color Space, which is nice and dandy, and my scene seems to look ok.

Today I found out about the advanced texture setting: "Bypass sRBG Sampling".

And tried it on my textures: albedo, metalness and roughness.

My question is, should I check the option or not? In a CORRECT workflow.

Screenshot of difference:

znmwndytu2qt.jpg

Replies

• bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Only for albedo, the others should not be sRGB (I think!)
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, anything that's a colour map (albedo, spec colour, etc) should have sRGB sampling. Anything that's scalar or vector (normal map, specular strength, gloss, etc) should bypass sRGB sampling.
  • Starkist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, If I don't bypass sRGB on the albedo, it goes dark like in the top image. The metalness and roughness don't change too much. And normal maps don't have that option altogether.

Right now I use it as in the bottom image(albedo, metalness & roughness bypass sRGB), it works fine atm.

Thanks folks.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    You can still author colour maps in linear as well if you want to, there's nothing stopping you from doing so.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah you can author diffuse/albedo maps in linear space if you want, and if you've created the map in linear space while previewing it in game, you should leave it as linear.

Most people author diffuse/gamma maps in gamma space, because photoshop works in gamma space so its easier to "see" the results.

Gloss/roughness maps should generally be linear as you're defining a % value.
    Metalness again should be linear.
    Normal maps always need to be linear.
  • Starkist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Millenia, EarhtQuake, I see, well, normal maps are always linear since they are generated from high-poly or a map, In unity itself I don't see an explicit option to set it to linear, so I guess it's correctly used.

Thanks for the clarification people :)