Home Technical Talk

Modo floating edges?

I've been noticing this after a bridge, and it's becoming very frustrating.

I get these floating edges when i try and smooth, what are they and how do I get rid of them?

Thanks!

dhSUxWp.png
0V9d32M.png

Replies

• peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 18
    It's normal, they are often left over vertices. If you want to get rid of them select the unwanted edges or vertices and press "backspace" key on the keyboard, as this will delete your selection but will leave everything around it untouched, contrary to delete that will remove shared geo.

You can also look for floating components (vertices, edges, polys) by selecting "list > statistics" and verify respectively the count of each parts.
  • ahendowski
    peanut™ wrote: »
    It's normal, they are often left over vertices. If you want to get rid of them select the unwanted edges or vertices and press "backspace" key on the keyboard, as this will delete your selection but will leave everything around it untouched, contrary to delete that will remove shared geo.

You can also look for floating components (vertices, edges, polys) by selecting "list > statistics" and verify respectively the count of each parts.

I'm trying to do the backspace and it deletes my entire mesh. I can't even select the unwanted edges, it seems like they're connected, like if I select the smoothed vertex, it'll move the unsmoothed vertex as well. It's almost like it's showing the low poly cage when I smooth. Think '2' mode in Maya.

Also, I'm still completely new to Modo, and I'm learning it from Maya. Where's this list > statistics? Is that like an outliner type idea?

It seems to disappear if I delete my last set of faces, which is weird.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    ahendowski wrote: »
    I'm trying to do the backspace and it deletes my entire mesh. I can't even select the unwanted edges, it seems like they're connected, like if I select the smoothed vertex, it'll move the unsmoothed vertex as well. It's almost like it's showing the low poly cage when I smooth. Think '2' mode in Maya.

Also, I'm still completely new to Modo, and I'm learning it from Maya. Where's this list > statistics? Is that like an outliner type idea?

I have only had this happen to me once, pretty sure I fixed it by running mesh cleanup a few times.
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message

The way i see it, from my angle, (i can't tell because i'm not next to you) this should be resolved by first selecting the unwanted edge (edge mode) and press "backspace". I you select nothing or you select your whole mesh, well yeah everything will be deleted.

If you can't select the unwanted edge, delete the surrounding polygons and rebuild your geo afterward.
    Where's this list > statistics? Is that like an outliner type idea?

stats.jpg
  • Farfarer
    I suspect it's 2 point polys.

Under that statistics tab, drop down Polygons, By Vertex, then hit the little + beside 2. That'll select all polygons with 2 vertices.

You should be able to delete them as per normal.
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    Farfarer wrote: »
    I suspect it's 2 point polys.

Under that statistics tab, drop down Polygons, By Vertex, then hit the little + beside 2. That'll select all polygons with 2 vertices.

You should be able to delete them as per normal.

Amen.
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    also use mesh cleanup (under mesh edit tab) a lot. It should clear this automatically.
  • WarrenM
    Bind "Mesh Cleanup" to a hot key. Trust me. :)
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    +1
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Bind "Mesh Cleanup" to a hot key. Trust me. :)
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Speaking of setting up hotkeys, this quick and easy mini-tutorial just popped up showing how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNM42sxc62g&feature=youtu.be
  • WarrenM
    Shit, i was hoping that was going to blow my mind with something like, "Hold CTRL and ALT and click the button and it'll ask you to bind the command" or whatever. :) Still, cool that he's making these vids.