Home Technical Talk

Is it still important to try to hide UV seams anymore?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
root polycounter lvl 17
So - I'm picking up 3d work after not doing it for like four or five years and I'm curious to know if the conventional wisdom for UV arrangement is still the same as it was when I first learned to do it. My habit is to try to minimize the number of seams, and to try to place them in natural breaks in materials and in places where the player isn't liable to see them. But I'm finding also that trying to keep the number of UV seams to a minimum is resulting in UV islands that are long in one dimension, when I might be able to make use of more of the UV space by placing a seam where there isn't a natural break.

And since I'll be using the substance suite to do my texturing, I'm wondering if having more islands is really all that terrible, since I can just paint directly onto the model and over the seams.

Replies

• Lucas Sas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Sas polycounter lvl 2
    The only thing I can tell you is, that you`ll increase your vertex count significantly as soon as you use many uv islands in your maps.
    But that's of course from a performance side of view.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Yep, more islands = more verts at runtime = slower rendering mesh. Also, if you don't use different smoothing groups where you break off the islands, you could end up having normal smoothing errors as well. Use as many as you need, just don't make them without reason.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygons (or verts) are cheap, though. Textures are not so cheap.

So if breaking up an island into a couple of smaller island helps you to make better use of the available texture space, I'd say go for it.

Joshua: I think you've got that the wrong way round - you don't need hard edges at UV splits. You need UV splits at hard edges.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Ah, yeah far, thanks - brain spasm :)

Polygons and verts are not cheap on consoles at all though, especially on XboxOne. Though it's entirely dependent on your game, framerate goal, etc. Things get tight VERY fast when you have to hit 60fps.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, I guess that's true. 60 FPS is a tough target on any console :)

But it's one of those relative things. Generally, I'll happily break up a UV island or two if it lets me pack the UVs better - but only if it doesn't make texturing too much harder. Not every island, of course, only here and there... the big, awkward shapes that don't lend well to packing.
  • root
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    root polycounter lvl 17
    Thank you for the responses! This has been super helpful for the piece I'm working on right now.