Home Technical Talk

[modo] ZBrush's UV algorithm

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Revel interpolator
Hello guys, as the title said, can we have ZBrush's PUV or AUV or GUV algorithm inside modo? basically mapping each face to be small square and fill in entire 0-1 coordinate.

It's for a UV2 light-mapping purpose. It's a very time consuming to mapped lots of small unimportant area (example; the thickness face of extruded bricks). I can simply map it to any empty space but it wont look very good. If we can have each poly face fit perfectly on 1 pixel on the lightmap texture that will be great.

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps check out the Atlas and Atlas2 unwrap options.

Alternatively, Barycentric unwrap and then Pack UVs, but that's a lot of islands, I'd stick with Atlas.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If this is for game art, keep in mind that mapping each face to it's own space in the UV map is going to explode your vert count...
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @James - Ah thanks, I'll look into that! Currently I GoZ to ZB, unwrap then GoZ back to modo with the new UVs, it works but if I can do all in the same software will be more efficient.

@Warren - Well it's for personal project though, so I don't really mind about performance drop that much. But you have a point that I haven't really consider before. Do you have any suggestion for a better approach/ workflow for those small pieces? without anyone notice that the artist being lazy (hah!) cus normally lightmap textures will be a really small texture, so grid snap will be crucial for a better lightmap.