Home Unreal Engine

Reflections with a 'Camera Vector'

Hey All,

Im creating a simple reflection with a camera vector going to a component mask then into the texture sample, the problem is that it seems to tile the texture 4 times with the intersection appearing in the middle when looked at straight on...

http://i.imgur.com/sQvE3C9.jpg

This seems wrong to me :S I would of wanted it to center the image and then tile it either side, anyone know where I'm going wrong or how to solve this?

Unfortunately my project currently doesn't allow me to use cube maps so I need to use away that uses just one texture.

Help is much appreciated :)

Mike

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Use a panner after the mask.
    0.5 and x and y with a time of 1

Why cant you use cubemaps?

Also a more generic texture would be better, since you cant insure what angle the viewer will see it at.

I prefer to use textures that are just vertical stripes of value and only pass the red channel from my reflection vector.

There is a exmple of this in UDK
    search for
    M_HU_WALLS_SM_FlatWall
    in the content browser and look at that material setup
  • MikeFriel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks that helped still doesnt look quite right, I think using a tileable generic texture will have to be the way...

Im creating material templates for software that uses UDK unfortunately it doesnt support cubemaps :( Bummer!
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well no matter what approach it will have to tile on 1 axis or both. Its pretty easy to make something tileable in photoshop.

I would just use a tileable texture, than use the reflection vector with the red and green masked, and hook that into the UV's. I wouldnt even worry about it sampling from the wrong part of the texture.
  • MikeFriel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I think you could be right, Appreciate the help Passerby thanks a bunch :)
  • MikeFriel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem is now is that how do you create a generic tillable texture for glass and metallic? the other materials just need a blurred reflection which is no problem, but the two mentioned for my purposes need a sharp reflection which is proving difficult to create something suitable for :S

This would'nt be an issue if we could use cubemaps :(
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you could render a texture with a capture actor from the window or mirros point of view
  • snoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snoop polycounter lvl 7
    Is it possible you could use a reflection vector instead or is there a specific reason you are using the camera vector?

ex_reflection.jpg

There's how you do it with a reflection vector.