Home Dota 2

Tutorials, Guides and Resources for Dota2 Workshop

Replies

• Todestomate
    Hey!
    not sure if this is the right thread but I'll just go ahead:

There is a free software called alchemy which might be interesting for everyone doing concepts.
    You can mirrror what you paint, which is great for creating helmets or headpieces. You can also generate random shapes, which is great to quickly create interesting silhouettes. Or it basically can just inspire you and spark a great idea by generating random forms on your screen.

http://al.chemy.org/

a video which demonstrates how it works: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEdxf2CqkNo"]Alchemy speed drawing - YouTube[/ame]

hope this helps someone!
  • OrganizedChaos
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Are there any guides for a dota2 courier workflow using 3ds max?
  • kingofwar1994
    HELLO all

i need expert one to guide me a little bit by teamvewier please (using 3dmax)

• Creeow
    Hello guys, I am sorry to ask again, I been asking around here and there on the artists on how they make concepts, can anyone here give a resource for inspiration or characther/item design, I seem to find no good character design tutorial, (Wich I may apply to Dota 2 Set creation.)

I would love to hear the concept artists method for coming up with concepts.

Thanks.
  • Vovosunt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    @Creeow: frankly, Character Design is a very complicated topic and most character concept artist just try whatever comes up in their heads. That of course comes from a lot of practice and years of experience. I know it's a half-assed answer, but that's really it, practice makes perfect, try until it looks good, even if it looks terrible at first ;)

But if just you're searching for inspiration try Pinterest. There's ton of people just finding great concepts and putting them onto boards.
  • Creeow
    Thanks for the answer Vovosunt, I really appreciate it.
  • tja
    Offline / Send Message
    tja polycounter lvl 3
    Autodesk did a series for DotA 2 workshop for Maya LT (includes other programs). They didnt make a playlist so I made one here:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYnrCOtOLnPnAJ-AxxmKsaglejXuLb-uN
  • MagnoHusein
    Creeow wrote: »
    Hello guys, I am sorry to ask again, I been asking around here and there on the artists on how they make concepts, can anyone here give a resource for inspiration or characther/item design, I seem to find no good character design tutorial, (Wich I may apply to Dota 2 Set creation.)

I would love to hear the concept artists method for coming up with concepts.

Thanks.

I usually do some art research in different ways, direct, indirect and non-related.

You can find inspiration in almost everything, looking at other games, watching movies, real life etc.

It's a complicated topic to be fair, try to find a theme before you start drawing things, makes the things easier.
  • Nemozini
    Anyone have the link on how to make GIFs / rotating models? I think saw it once here. can't find it.

Was it a custom made tool?
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Nemozini wrote: »
    Anyone have the link on how to make GIFs / rotating models? I think saw it once here. can't find it.

Was it a custom made tool?

on 4th page:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2056460&postcount=99
  • Sunn
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunn polycounter lvl 4
    Hi everyone, is there a way to import the smd files into 3ds max 2015? I can't load the models. Also curious how to get them into zbrush properly. This workflow, coming off of messing around with unreal engine 4 seems archaic :( Thanks for any help. (I skimmed this thread, I may have missed it, sorry I'm new)
  • Moffee
    Sunn wrote: »
    Hi everyone, is there a way to import the smd files into 3ds max 2015? I can't load the models. Also curious how to get them into zbrush properly. This workflow, coming off of messing around with unreal engine 4 seems archaic :( Thanks for any help. (I skimmed this thread, I may have missed it, sorry I'm new)

1) SMD exporter is only in the 2012 version of Max, so you have no other option but to download the old version.
    2) In order to properly export the model in ZBrush to properly distribute the smoothing groups and put two checkboxes: "Use NURMS Subdivision" and "Separate by smooth group". After this export file in OBG with recommended settings for ZBrush.
  • Andumy
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    if you need the model files ,here -> http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements
    each hero got his materials and for model .ma .obj and .fbx
  • montana2008
    Hi, im new to dota 2 and ive been reading and watching alot of tutorials etc. i have a few questions that i hope you guys might be able to answer. Ive been downloading many programs to get things working. i.e. sourcefilmaker, GCfscape, alienswarm sdk and various plugins for 3d max and maya. I might use maya instead of 3dmax because i dont want to use 3dmax 2012. Can i just download the characters from dota2 workshop and use the maya scenes or fbx? or do i have to use gcscape and extract everything (as they are more update? which workflow is more upto date? Could somebody also give my a list of stuff i really need, im abit confused about the viewers, plugins and workflows.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    I wrote this small guide on how to bake clean maps using 3DS Max and XNormal with Handplane plugin.

Pretty straightforward and easy to understand. Might be trivial for the seasoned artist.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2094877&postcount=205
  • Andumy
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    Hi, im new to dota 2 and ive been reading and watching alot of tutorials etc. i have a few questions that i hope you guys might be able to answer. Ive been downloading many programs to get things working. i.e. sourcefilmaker, GCfscape, alienswarm sdk and various plugins for 3d max and maya. I might use maya instead of 3dmax because i dont want to use 3dmax 2012. Can i just download the characters from dota2 workshop and use the maya scenes or fbx? or do i have to use gcscape and extract everything (as they are more update? which workflow is more upto date? Could somebody also give my a list of stuff i really need, im abit confused about the viewers, plugins and workflows.

If you will download any hero files from the link that i posted before you will see that you will have inside the model folder 3 other folders : maya,fbx,smd.
    You can open the .ma file from maya folder directly with maya or you can import into a scene the fbx files (in order to do this you must activate your fbx plug-in ,windows->settings/prefferences->Plug-in Manager->fbxmaya.mll and check load and autoload. now you can import fbx into current scene too)
  • montana2008
    thanks Andumy for the info. Does anybody know where i find an up to date tutorial on how to design and upload a custom HUD to dota 2 workshop?
  • whatever
    My question is really stupid in my opinion but i just cant understand what to do with highpoly sculpt and low poly base mesh?Please help,and again sorry for stupid question.
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Offline / Send Message
    [NB] Mohsen polycounter lvl 3
    whatever: You make the high-poly sculpt so that you can bake the normal maps, which usually just shows more detail on the mow poly, but it really isn't there. Also it can help in texturing stage.
  • whatever
    whatever: You make the high-poly sculpt so that you can bake the normal maps, which usually just shows more detail on the mow poly, but it really isn't there. Also it can help in texturing stage.

Can you explain me the process please?
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Offline / Send Message
    [NB] Mohsen polycounter lvl 3
    There are numerous guides out there that show you how to use this program called xNormal. Download it and learn how to use it by watching some videos on youtube.
  • iwyze
    Offline / Send Message
    iwyze polycounter lvl 3
    Hey guys, I'm new around here and still pretty newish to dota 2. I've been wanting to start making items and contributing to the workshop for a while now but I have literally no idea how and where to get started. Would anyone mind pointing me in the right direction :/ ? Thanks a lot !
  • EduardoMC
    Offline / Send Message
    EduardoMC polycounter lvl 5
    So which shader do you guys think gives the most accurate results other than having to compile for hlmv?

The ones I know of are:

Maya LT

Marmoset Toolbag

Substance Designer

HLMV

What would you guys recommend the most for preview?
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Marmoset gives pretty good results in my opinion, especially since they have officially added Dota 2 shader and mask support.
  • tuutwuut
    any tutorial for making loading screen and preview images for your set..I AM totally noob in painting plz guys help..

oh special mention: TVIDOTTO and SMITY you guys are the best i watch every scene of your tutorials..guess what i manage to complete a set for CM..tnx guys peace...
  • EduardoMC
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood wrote: »
    Marmoset gives pretty good results in my opinion, especially since they have officially added Dota 2 shader and mask support.

Oh that's great. I have the original Marmoset license, I don't have v2.0. Do the masks incorporate the in-game effects (like animated texture shaders on characters, etc)? Or are they just for material definition (gloss, reflection color, etc)?

Thanks!
  • schnoodle
    Offline / Send Message
    schnoodle polycounter lvl 3
    Hey! Drew Carrymore was nice enough to give us an explanation of how to get particles on items!

Please feel free to add this thread to the list! Maybe under "Particles" and described as "how to put particles on items that didn't have any before"?
  • HFresch
    Hi! I don't think the Official Guide to Dota 2 Cosmetics is in this, but it certainly should be!
  • Kyc
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyc polycounter lvl 4
    Hi guys i have a question. lets say if you did the concept already you won't know whether it will be accepted in the game. how do you make sure that the concept stage pass through before all the hardwork to put in on the 3D models. So as to not waste time if its not gonna pass through anyway right.
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Kyc wrote: »
    Hi guys i have a question. lets say if you did the concept already you won't know whether it will be accepted in the game. how do you make sure that the concept stage pass through before all the hardwork to put in on the 3D models. So as to not waste time if its not gonna pass through anyway right.

No one knows what the Volvo needs/wants. My best advice is to create the best art you can, as quickly and often as you can, and use the community for feedback and growth. The entire process is less about the concept "persay", and more about the perfect execution of an awesome idea.

Edit: PS, You will always throw out more work then work accepted, as is the nature of art :)
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    EduardoMC wrote: »
    Oh that's great. I have the original Marmoset license, I don't have v2.0. Do the masks incorporate the in-game effects (like animated texture shaders on characters, etc)? Or are they just for material definition (gloss, reflection color, etc)?

Thanks!

I'm not sure about the animated textures, there is a section when changing from Albedo Colour to Dota Colour where you can input a Detail Mask. That is what does the animated textures but I haven't tested it myself.

Also I believe only 2.0 has the shader support for Dota 2. You would need to upgrade to take advantage of it.
  • EduardoMC
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the animated textures, there is a section when changing from Albedo Colour to Dota Colour where you can input a Detail Mask. That is what does the animated textures but I haven't tested it myself.

Also I believe only 2.0 has the shader support for Dota 2. You would need to upgrade to take advantage of it.
    Yeah I was wondering whether or not to buy the 2.0 upgrade; it sounds like it is my best option to be honest. I doubt Marmoset has support for the detail masks but I guess I'll check that out soon enough. :)

Thanks for the info!
  • Gephoria
  • OrganizedChaos
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Curious- are there any tutorials out there for skinning organic meshes in maya? I know the basics of painting weights but every time I do it I feel like there's a better method I'm unaware of.
  • EduardoMC
    Offline / Send Message
    So what is the word on single sided cloaks/capes? I see many characters with single sided capes and cloaks but I don't know if the policies have changed lately or if Valve favors one over the other. Any idea on this?

Cheers,
    Eduardo
  • Creeow
    I'm intending to use the model viewer, but I can't find the pak01_dir.vpk anywhere, any ideas?
  • No Pie For You!
    Offline / Send Message
    No Pie For You! polycounter lvl 6
    anyone know any ward rigging/animating tutorials? i made a pugna nether ward with floating bits, and simple object translation doesn`t seem to cut it.
  • RealArt
    Hi guys i have question About Upload Item
    im 3d Art and have several years of experience but i cant understand how upload my Custom item for any hero
    As an example consider i Maked my custom item for TerrorBlade hero and now i gonna to Upload that
    in dota2 workshop we must select hero and select loadOut slot like Weapon But if i Change Base mesh Like TB Body or head What should I do now؟؟؟؟؟؟؟
    loadOut Means we must dont change base mesh and just make Seprate item like Hat or mask But i see item is store with Fully change baseMesh
    can some one Guide me
    Sry For my bad Eng
    tanks
  • No Pie For You!
    Offline / Send Message
    RealArt: for some heroes, such as Mirana or windranger, or omniknight, their base models (meshes) should remain the same, but for some heroes such as TiBi metamorphosis or sandking, you have certain freedoms.
    For example Sandking only comes with the default body. you can customise his head, stinger, claws, and legs therefore resulting in a completely new look for him, but in the same time maintaining somewhat of his shape.
    i don`t exactly know what you can change in the actual body of TerrorBlade, but my best advice is to download his original meshes from the d2 workshop site, and analise the different pieces of the character. if TB model is his full body but no armour, then... you are pretty much stuck to making hats/horns/armours/weapons.
    ...you CAN try changing his whole appearance, but... it`s very risky. depends on your model.
    hope i helped.
  • vinrylgrave
    wow thankyou so much tvdotto
    these are like dota2 workshop holy bible.:thumbup::thumbup:
  • EduardoMC
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a way to submit a new particle set for an item/hero with no particle attachment points?

I have read a number of guides on particle submissions but none mention any way to add particles to items which have no previous attachment points.

Cheers!
    Eduardo
  • No Pie For You!
    Offline / Send Message
    Found this series of tutorials. Quite usefull:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckXKS7qAbT0
  • Psychotic_Mike
    Offline / Send Message
    Psychotic_Mike polycounter lvl 11
    sorry wrong thread
  • EduardoMC
    Offline / Send Message
    How are you guys submitting your custom particle effects? (For 100% custom particles made from scratch)
  • EduardoMC
    Offline / Send Message
    When submitting a new summon I read on the wiki your animations need to be "motion extracted." What does that mean? :P

Also what settings should be used when extracting the animations through FBX?
  • C0ldfir3
    Does anyone have a step by step of their entire process for doing a model or a set past the concept stage, from opening it in maya for the first time to importing in the game?

Been studying Zbrush for the last month or so, but I am still having issues importing assets from Maya and figuring out when to do the little things. I feel like theres a lot of options and tutorials to look at when it comes to sculpting and texturing, and maybe a shortage of the more boring in between stuff. Thanks!
  • vertical
  • C0ldfir3
    vertical wrote: »

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.
  • vector_meche
    Can somebody give me some advices on how to start drawing the color map ?
    I mean should I take the normal or the uv map as reference or to draw on top of them? If yes which one?
  • Toasty
    Hi vector, I'd make the lighting bakes (pointlight + ambient occlusion ) first, and paint underneath them.

T_Vidotto has made some very clear step by step tutorials that cover from baking, painting to finalizing the textures for use ingame. Check them out.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=316375622

-Toasty