Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Joey "Zwebbie" Spijkers, character artist

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
Hey Polycount :) .

I quit school last year because I thought I'd do better learning on my own. It's been a while now and I'm really excited about looking for jobs. I'd very much appreciate any criticism on my portfolio!

--> www.JoeySpijkers.com <--
Edit:
--> NEW and IMPROVED version <--

I tried to keep the site as simple as possible, but I realise this may come across as crude and cheap. How does it look to you?
Furthermore, I kept it as one big page, so that it'll load all the pictures immediately and because I personally prefer scrolling to clicking. Does it work? Does it need thumbnails? Should I just switch over to a regular 'home' page with links to a seperate page for every piece?

I'll be looking for an entry level character artist position in the Netherlands - maybe weapon or prop artist if the opportunity arises, but I only have one hard surface piece, so I'm not counting on that too much.

Again, I appreciate any criticism on both the website and the CG work!

Replies

• fritz
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    i would say make more images the quality of the cami sculpt.
  • paulsvoboda
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Wow, I really like your work. The guy with the jetpack thing is probably my favorite. As for the portfolio, I don't think it really shows off the impressive work you've done - You may prefer scrolling but I know a lot of people that absolutely hate it. Also, when you first enter your portfolio there is a bunch of text which kind of looks like it was just thrown in there. I really think a site which doesn't scroll at all is much more effective - at the same time though, you have to have some of your work displayed as soon as you enter your site.
    Some of these issues may not bother any one at all but I think you could show off the quality of your work in a much better way.
    Maybe this will help - http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/02/26/10-steps-to-the-perfect-portfolio-website/ - the 40 portfolio websites list could give you some ideas.
    I really like your models and the work you have done and wish you luck in finding a job.
  • Lamoot
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamoot polycounter lvl 7
    As Paulsvoboda said, the website could benefit from a bit of structure, not everything put on the main page.

The main page should be like a welcome screen with perhaps a title / title image and at least a bit of structure to the text. Preferably it should be only as big as an average screen (no scrolling).

For the assets themselves, the textured ones look good, but the untextured ones would stand out more with better renders. A bit more pimped up material + without the grey background so the actual art piece stands out more from the background rather than blend in.

And of course, good luck!
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, guys :) ! These are great advices. I have been and am still working on this.

A comparison:
    Here is the original again.
    Here is a version like the original, but with thumbnails.
    Here is a version in a more traditional style.

I do like the last one, but I think I'll make a seperate R
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I made a fair overhaul in the last few days. There's even some structure and sense in it!

--> Link <--

I hope everyone likes it better now!
  • AnimeAngel
    Very nice. I like the clean and simple layout and love the Cammy sculpt.
    Your resume link is dead and I don't like that when you click the contact button it is just a email link that opens outlook. The button looks as if it should direct you to another page with more info on it and doesn't appear like an email link. IMO its kind of turn off because as someone who doesn't use outlook I find it annoying when it gets opened unexpectedly like that.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey, the new website version is looking great!
    I have to agree with AnimeAngel, I don't use outlook either and this is one of my biggest pet-peves. The Main character (first one) is definetly your best imo. It would be nice to see some more fully textured / completed work though, so keep grinding stuff out.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looks good website wise but deffinately need some better diffuses, theyre not bad just a little plain and dont show the breadth of material understanding a good position will require
  • paulsvoboda
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Looking really good now - Like what you have done with the site - I agree with both Anime Angel and Brad Meyers, Outlook is not used as much these days.
    Also, I found myself clicking on your name and being slightly surprised that it didn't link me to another page - maybe a little 'About' section or something.
    Otherwise - great improvements and looks really good now.