Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warpriest-Hires

A ultra-hires model on which I've spent so much days that I forgot the number :poly122:
It was finished time ago, was expecting to do some awesome scene and pose and everything.. but I don't have time and thats gonna take forever..
Apart from that, I went too far, now is very hard to skin and move so I'm just presenting a t-pose for now :D
Is a supposed to be a mixed style fantasy/realistic Warpriest, meant for Illustration and maybe anims.
Is based on displacement maps and massive texs. Rendered on Maxwellrender (yay noise!)
When I ve finish it some time ago, I was very happy with the results.. now I see mistakes everywhere. Guess thats good signal.
Some cinematic anim kinda Warcraft would be fancy, he. Someday.
Daydreaming..
Opinions always welcome.

wpmres.jpg

Replies

• mLink
    Offline / Send Message
    mLink polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, this is fantastic. Really great textures and modeling. Though, I can't see any way that thick book is staying in place on his leg, that's just being nitpicky though. There's something odd with the legs, I can't put my finger on what it is though
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Great work, I don't have anything visable to crit. I love it, you can see that you've spent quite some time on that one. Great stuff.
  • SyaPed
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    Love it! Some gritty, realistic medieval for once. I'm very tired of WoW's influence.
  • Hoopla!
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    bravo.

my only question is about the silveryness" of his shoes?
  • Mladen Jovicic
  • Harry
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    SyaPed wrote: »
    Love it! Some gritty, realistic medieval for once. I'm very tired of WoW's influence.

i thought the exact same thing, baldurs motherfucking gate forever
  • Slaught
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Loving it.
    This is what D3 should have looked like.
  • Wayfa
    Hey Guys.. Good to see you like it.

Mlink:The Book is actually hold by chains.. only one can be seen.. maybe is too small on the render. About the legs.. I ve got the same feeling after seen it several times.. guess the plate is too big and cumbersome to move what it gives the sensation. Maybe just chainmail woulda been more aesthetic.

Hoopla: You got a point.. actually the boot shader isn't working OK, theres probably to much reflexion. It should look darker also.

SyaPed and Harry:So I'm not alone then :poly121:. Yeah, I'm kinda bored already of colorful overloaded knights.
    Colorful fantasy weapons, quickly became colorful hilarious toy weapons, like in those Korean MMos, Duh.
    It has tons of art and sells a lot, won't deny that.. but is a style overmade lately.
    For personal Fantasy Art Justin Sweet is the way to go for me.
  • ajr2764
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Great work, I love the textures you have and the cloth. Any chance on posting some wireframe overlays, always curious on how others construct their models.
  • Spug
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    Great stuff! I love the texturing on his boots compared to other metal areas of the armor. Even though the armor has so much going on, it works great because there are nice rest areas all over it. Great work! Thanks for sharing.
  • phredH
    This is wonderful! Well done. I really like your Character's face and Texture work. I would love to see some wires too. Great Job!
  • Hazardous
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Wicked man i saw this on Deviant Art, Really like it, the spec on the metal is just right, not overdone!
  • phredH
    How many Poly's did you get up to? I am currently working on a really high res model that I will also rig and animate.
  • Wayfa
    Hey Guys

(sorry for the delay, I 've been insanely busy)

Here is a wire. Kinda messy.. now I know that the best way for working with Displacement maps would have been to rebuild the mesh and reproject all details on a single solid surface.. but when started this I had no freakin idea about those ugly 16 bit gray maps :P

wirewap.jpg

Phred..I can't remember exactly how much polys I ve got there, but not subdivided, is bound to have a lot, Ill say +-200k o similar counting the sword. Don't do as I did.. try to optimize, else you' ll have a hell of skinning time afterwards:poly122:
  • torontoanimator
    i love how its a "realistic" adaptation of what a warrior priest would be, my main critique would be that i dont see a cross anywhere on him, the book/bible is a great touch, and i love the detailing on the cape, but to me he really just looks like an epic warrior ya know? im not too sure how priestly he looks.
  • Ausonian
    Offline / Send Message
    Ausonian polycounter lvl 13
    Wow, really beautiful modeling and texturing, congrats! One thing: why does the blade have all those polys? :)
  • woogity
    spec-tacular! Get IT?>! haha great piece man the ringmail is perfect and everything is well done, no crits, but can we get a posed version?! that would rock. i feel like alot of the polys in the sword could be reduced tho.

-Woog
  • DarthNater
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    This is amazing. The textures are PERFECT! Right amount of dirt and wear, perfect spec. Wish it was more low poly, but hey, you learn from your mistakes :P
  • MartinH
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    i really dig the contrast between materials.
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Great texture work! You have done a really nice job.
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    its a very good model, and the cloth is especially well done.. but i can't help but feel you could have pushed the details a bit more, with some extra darkness to get in more contrast, as it has a very distinct grayness to it. well, i dunno it could just be the lighting choice you made.

i made this comparison pic:

comparar.jpg

really, all you need to do now, is just make a few colour adjustments, to push it to the boundary of "almost real"
  • Wayfa
    Thanks for the feedback dudes! Much appreciated!

Toronto Animator: yeah thats a good point.. To me, the similarity to a christian crusader plus the holybook, was enough to make him look like a religious fighter. Didn't made the tipical Holy symbols from the clerics for not overloading more the chests. Maybe Ill do something about it for illustration.

Ausonian: Because The displacement map was giving me headaches for the quad shape relation :poly124:. At least doesn't need skinning..
    yeah.. I know.. sloppy.. Disp maps were a mistery to me then.
    Now this dude can only be opened on a 64bit PC:poly122:

Woogity: If I leave only for posing, maybe I can deal with this polys.. but for animation (I dont know about that) It should be optimized.. mayeb I'll reproject this dude to a much better mesh someday.

Dejawolf: You have a very good point there.. In fact, is more from the lightning.. is very diffuse and it flattens all the wrinkles and stuff from the cloths.
    Still, some higher contrast would be good for the final pic. And now that I think of it, that wrinkles on the chest could be pushed a bit more too. Nice reference, straight to refs folder :D .