Home Technical Talk

Lazy Nezumi Pro - mouse and pen smoothing in PhotoShop and other apps!

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
kamih polycounter lvl 11
Hello Polycounters!

Many of you have probably tried my little LazyNezumi line smoothing app over the years. It attaches to your art software, and allows you to draw smooth lines in a similar way to ZBrush Lazy Mouse.

Well I'm proud to announce that a brand new version called Lazy Nezumi Pro is now available here:
https://lazynezumi.com

I have added support for more apps and tablets, and added a bunch of cool new features: presets, new smoothing algorithms, pressure smoothing, scripting, and rulers (straight, radial, ellipse, perspective, isometric, fisheye). It also now comes with a PhotoShop plugin so you don't have to worry about hooking any windows. When using this plugin, it also knows which tool you are using so it can get out of your way when you don't need it (ie. when panning, zooming, colorpicker, etc.).

The program comes with a 30 day fully functional trial period, after which some features will be disabled until you purchase a license. This is currently my full time job!

I am looking for feedback and suggestions from the community. Many of its features started out as user suggestions, so please let me know if you have an idea that you think could make it more useful!
If you are interested in having your art posted on the website, I am also looking for testimonials from users who like the program, so get in touch!

I hope you like it and that it helps you create awesome art!

cheers,
Guillaume

Replies

• Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    This tool is pretty great! I highly recommend it to anyone like me who has always wanted proper brush smoothing in Photoshop! :)

(And no I'm not just saying that cause kamih's my brother!)
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah I used to use the old version and it was very handy. Will definitely be checking this out. Thanks!
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    just tried it, seems to work pretty decently!
    great job, this should compensate nicely for my shaky hands
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Good stuff in here. no issues, and there are more options as well. Sold.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Looks good, I tend to lean towards apps that have stabilization features like zbrush and manga studio since I had a pretty bad injury and broke most of my fingers in my right hand, my lines were never quite as good since without stabilization.

ill tell you what I think but this could be a god send and get me using some more apps.
  • kamih
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    A new version is available: 13.9.13
    I fixed a couple of bugs.
    You can read more information about the update here:
    http://lazynezumi.com/news
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi there Kamih !

I havent tried this newer version you just uploaded, but I can report that the one I tried two days ago caused photoshop to drop a few strokes here and there - something like one out of 10.

(ha ! it seems like this is indeed one of the bugs that you just addressed. Trying out the latest version now, will report asap.)
  • kamih
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Hi Pior,
    That's the bug I fixed in the new version, so give it a try! :)
  • snoops3d
    Offline / Send Message
    snoops3d polycounter lvl 12
    ooh man cant wait to try this when I get home!!!
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Hmm I am still getting it :

lazy_strokes_zpsf6c11bea.gif~original

This is using the default LN settings, in Photoshop CS6, win7 pro x64, with a Cintiq set to primary screen, labelled 2 in the windows resolution options.

ScreenResolution_2013-09-13_13-15-10_zps7b84d8ae.png~original

Hope this helps !!
  • kamih
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Pior, did you close PhotoShop while you installed the new version?
    Can you please go to your plugins folder, and check that the version of mouseHook.8li is 13.9.13?
    If it is, then could you please send me your LNP logs? (check the README.txt for their location)
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Yup, the plugin date is correct. PMing you the files !
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Bought the student version. Works like a charm! Thanks! I was always bummed it wouldn't work for me before.
  • kamih
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you Joopson! :)

Yeah I fixed a ton of problems since the old version, including some multi-monitor bugs. I'm pretty confident it will work for many more people now.
    But of course, if you run into any problems, let me know!

Now back to trying to figure out why it's eating some of Pior's strokes..
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    kamih wrote: »
    Now back to trying to figure out why it's eating some of Pior's strokes..
    I get the same issue as Pior.
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    First of all, this is a fantastic application!
    I've been using it since a few days ago, and I'm able to draw lines the way I always wanted - but couldn't. This has solved an issue I've been struggling with ever since I got a wacom (nearly 15+ years!)

So thank u very much :)

If I may ask for a feature -- task bar minimization!

Also, it would be nice if u could use simpler, more user-friendly terms in ur documentation / interface.
  • kamih
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Lamont: I will send you the same debugging version I send Pior to try to figure this out!
    Please bear with me while I think about the best way to tackle this (remote debugging is very tricky, and I want to minimize the amount of back and forth).

Shotgun: I'm very happy you find it useful! :)
    Regarding minimization, do you mean having LNP in the system tray on the bottom right? If so, you are the second person to ask for this, so I will implement it as soon as I can!
    Regarding the UI terms; I know, exponential moving average doesn't really say a lot to many people hehe, maybe I should just rename them Average and Average2. But in the meantime, let me know if you'd like me to explain something in particular!
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    Shotgun: I'm very happy you find it useful! :)
    Regarding minimization, do you mean having LNP in the system tray on the bottom right? If so, you are the second person to ask for this, so I will implement it as soon as I can!
    Much obliged, good sir!
    Regarding the UI terms; I know, exponential moving average doesn't really say a lot to many people hehe, maybe I should just rename them Average and Average2. But in the meantime, let me know if you'd like me to explain something in particular!
    'Exponential' is actually the most revealing word on the logic behind the feature, and just 'Average1/2' would be too general, I believe. Shoelace filter, however, didn't make sense until I read the documentation properly. It actually works the best! :)

Maybe a mouse-over Tooltip would be good to have
    Chuck it down the bucket list :D
  • kamih
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Great, I'm glad you found the doc clear!

On a related note, I have a question for you guys:
    Is it obvious that you can edit the preset settings and create your own presets?
    If not, I could have a Tips window open the first time you start LNP, explaining this, and other basic features.
    I ask because I've had a couple users only try the 3 presets that come installed, and didn't realize they could create their own.
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually tried to save my settings by looking at the Presets menu, and didn't see 'Save as...' or something, so I assumed this feature wasn't available. I should probably just read the documentation thoroughly (again) :)

The interface should be self-explanatory. I think the preset title should be in bigger font (with even 'preset name' in smaller, next to it). Then u add the (hide / show) + ( save / load) + (edit / etc.) buttons.

The whole thing (the hidden / shown parameters, sliders etc.) should be surrounded by another rectangular border (how do u call that?), and that whole border should have the enable / disable checkbox on it
  • kamih
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    There is no 'save as', that's true. It's funny but I actually never thought of adding such an obvious menu. Right now, you can create a new preset, which will start with the settings of the current preset, so that's identical to a save as (but it's true that the user doesn't know this unless he reads the doc).

Then to save changes, Save/Discard buttons appear at the bottom only when you change something, to save screen space.

This is also why I want to avoid adding frames unless they are really necessary: they take up a lot of space, and I think the user would prefer seeing his art program.
    Same with adding 'preset: ' in front of the combo box, it will make the window wider. What do you think?

But for sure I will do this:
    1) change New Preset so that it creates a preset with default/off values
    2) add Save As that takes whatever you currently have and saves it as a new preset

Thanks again for the great feedback! :)

ps. I really should have asked for beta testers from here before releasing ;)
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    U r right, the Save button should appear after changes r actually made but should appear next to the Preset controls (hide/show/load). It can be greyed-out in the Presets Menu.

I've only now noticed the Tooltip popup which says Presets list. No need to add 'preset' text then. However, to make it immediately clear that it's the title / head of the presetn, u can just make it bigger in size and make the Edit button as big as the load / save / show / hide buttons, they could all go just underneath a balder combo box (that's the presets list drop-down menu, I take it?)

Maybe an illustration will be easier to understand...

Don't worry about beta-testers and flaws. If u make a good program - everybody will know :)
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    I have been using it for quite a few days now on and off, decided to buy a license its reallly cheap and seems to work in anything with that attach window thing.

if anyone is use to the stabilizing features in clipart/manga studio its just like that.
  • kamih
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for your support ExcessiveZero, much appreciated! :)
  • kamih
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    New version is available: 13.9.16
    I've added a system tray icon like requested, and updated menus for saving presets.
    I also made the preset list box text a little bigger, and changed some other minor UI style elements.
    Download it from the same place as usual: http://lazynezumi.com
    Let me know what you think! :)
  • keelhauler
    Offline / Send Message
    keelhauler polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks kamih for the update!

I'm one of those who had problems with multi-monitor setup when using the old version.

Multi-monitor support and the photoshop plug-in are enough reasons for a buy from me, not to mention the curve and processing settings look really good.
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool!
    The enlarged preset list box works better.
    What I meant by system-tray minimization was in-lieu of the taskbar window. Just keep it there, minimized as an icon
  • kamih
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    keelhauler: Glad it works for you now!

shotgun: You mean you never want to see it in the taskbar at all, even when it's open?
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, when it's open. When u hit minimize it minimizes into the system-tray, removing the task bar window. Like skype, for example.
  • kamih
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    For me, skype doesn't remove the taskbar entry when I minimize or close the window.
    But I'll see what I can do.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Kamih : Lync messenger does that too. Other examples of this behavior that I know of : Nvida manager, Katmouse, Greenshot, Ghost-it.
  • kamih
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Ok, minimizing to tray is done and will be in the next version.
    I'm just waiting to hear back from someone who has a strange bug where the trial period expires right away.
    By the way Pior, did you get a chance to try those test versions I sent you?
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Hi there - unfortunately I am away from my work machine for two weeks now !
  • kamih
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    New version is available: 13.9.19
    I have fixed the trial period bug, added the system tray minimize function, and added better pen support for the Twisted Brush art software!
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    Works gr8, tnx :)

I noticed a bug (in this version), where every now and then I'll get 1 stroke that is pure 100% opaque, I believe without any curvature either. Like a mistake stroke that doesn't get any opacity/ pen pressure/ etc. effects going on

I'm using CS6 13.0 64bit & win7, latest Wacom drivers on Intuos 4
  • kamih
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Shotgun: I have noticed this too. It's like sometimes PhotoShop just decides to ignore incoming tablet data. I'm not 100% sure this is because of LNP though, cause I remember seeing this happen once when LNP was disabled.
    And it's hard to reproduce too, so I'm not sure what I can do about it. But I'll keep on the lookout and keep thinking about what could be causing it.
  • kamih
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    A new version is available: 13.9.22
    This version fixes a couple bugs, and adds back the Guide Line and Circle that were in the old LazyNezumi, since so many people asked.
    http://lazynezumi.com/news
    Enjoy!
  • kamih
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I've added a payment option with Amazon Payments, for those of you who would like to buy a license but can't or won't use PayPal!

On the coding front, I'm currently working on an auto-hook feature. I want users to be able to configure LNP to auto-hook windows of their selected art programs (since right now this only works with the PhotoShop plugin). The old LazyNezumi could do this but it was buggy and hard to use, so I'm redesigning it completely. I'll let you guys know when it's ready! :)
  • nyx702
    !!!

Oh yea. Totally buying this.
  • kamih
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    There's a new version available: 13.10.3

As always, download here: http://lazynezumi.com

This version adds a new setting to check for updates at startup. You can enable this so you'll be notified as soon as a new version is available!

I've also added a quick tutorial that should help first time users figure out how to use the software.

Many of you have provided some great feedback and ideas, keep it coming! :)

Here are some of the things I plan on working on next:
    • Pen Tilt processing
    • Try to delay end of strokes in PS, to get nicer looking line endings
    • Auto hook for non PS applications
    • Speed based pressure scaling
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    This is lookin' pretty intriguing. Did you ever find a fix for Pior and Lamont's issues?
  • kamih
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Lamont's issue was the bug I fixed in version 13.9.13.

Pior's issue is similar, but so far he's the only one to report it (and I can't reproduce it on my test machines). I've sent him a couple different test versions but he's been away so I don't know if the issue is resolved for him yet.

Give it a try and let me know, it will probably work fine for you! :)
  • kamih
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Shotgun: I've been doing some more testing, and I noticed that on my setup, I get those full-pressure strokes when I have too much interpolation enabled. So you may want to experiment with this until I find a proper fix.

I also managed to solve Pior's issue with the disappearing lines, but unfortunately he now has way more full-pressure lines instead :(. PhotoShop does not seem to tolerate any latency when it reads the tablet data; it decides to ignore it completely and draws the stroke like you were using a mouse.

If anyone has this issue, I'd be interested in knowing how fast your CPU is, and how many cores it has.
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I never knew about this...I always wondered why there wasn't a 'lazy mouse' plug in for PS out there...guess I should have looked.

*Works well....:)
  • kamih
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Glad you finally found it Katana! :)

Speaking of which, I'm thinking of maybe doing some advertising eventually.
    I hate ads, but at the same time I'd love for more people to know about LNP.
    Do you guys know of any cool/popular art magazines (print or web) that sometimes feature PhotoShop plugins?

In other news, I've just released a new version: 13.10.9.
    This only has a couple minor fixes, nothing major but I wanted to get it out of the way before I started working on bigger stuff (this doesn't have the changes I did for Pior, I'm still testing that code branch).
  • nyx702
    I think 2D Artist from 3DTotal features some plugins/filters from time to time. They are usually looking for stuff like that.

http://www.2dartistmag.com/

Now you can start working on a dynamic symmetry plugin! That would make millions!
  • kamih
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Someone spotted a strange bug in the new version so I pulled it. I will investigate immediately.

Thanks for the ref nyx! I'll check them out.

You're not the first to mention symmetry. This was actually another thing Bal asked me to do. I'm afraid in PhotoShop it's impossible though, nothing will make PhotoShop render multiple lines at the same time, unless they rewrite their code.
  • RexM
    This looks great! Can't wait to give it a try. Thanks for the hard work, this is one of the reasons why I've been more comfortable with pencil and paper over tablets for some reason, I can control a pencil on paper much better than the Stylus with my Wacom. Lazy mouse in Zbrush did wonders for me, so if this is in that same vein, I can't wait to try it.

In response to the symmetry thing: I wonder if you could someone have a symmetry brush, since a brush with spacing (imagine these two circles as one brush: o o ) could draw two things at once?

Maybe some way to have a dynamic brush that updates in real time, and those circles move closer or further away from each other depending on your cursor's position relative to a symmetry split/pivot? Food for though, I have no idea if that is possible, just throwing it out there.
  • kamih
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    If PhotoShop supports dynamic brushes, that might indeed be possible!
    Thanks for the idea Rex, I will look into it! :)
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Another approach to symmetry could be to alternatively swap the position of the mouse cursor on either side of a user defined axis (not defined inside the photoshop document, but instead, as a global setting).

If the brush being used has a tight enough spacing value, the two alternating "dashed" strokes would probably look like continuous lines ...