Home Technical Talk

Zbrush weirdness - disappearing menu

Super
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Super polycounter lvl 18
Zbrush 4R4 P2 - anyone experienced this kind of thing? I have my own custom menu, that now seems to only be displaying half of the buttons I've added. It was previously working fine.

Restarted Zbrush - missing again, loaded tool - all custom buttons show up - 5min later disappears again.

Anyone? Driving me fucking NUTS.

Replies

• 2danimm
    Offline / Send Message
    2danimm polycounter lvl 11
    happened to me when i made a really big custom menu, i just split mine into two.
  • Alismuffin
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    I always had issues with disappearing custom menus so now I just dont bother :C
  • nyx702
    Yea I had this happen.

I just deleted the menu and rebuilt it. Annoying but doesn't take too long.
  • Pabs
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 11
    have you tried pref>config>restore custom UI
  • remotecrab131
    Offline / Send Message
    remotecrab131 polycounter lvl 5
    2danimm wrote: »
    happened to me when i made a really big custom menu, i just split mine into two.

I agree.. Every time the number of custom UI elements gets big, it tends to go missing.
  • CharacterCarl
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    Have the same thing happening occassionally.
    My workaround is to save my UI to ->ZStartup->UserInterfaceLayouts so I can load it up any time from within ZBrush when stuff goes missing.
  • ogarmiljon
    Offline / Send Message
    ogarmiljon polycounter lvl 8
    For me it always happens when I delete a Sub-Tool.

I don't know why it happens but the only solution I've found is to save the UI regularly if i make changes (to a file of course) and use the Store Config button in Preferences. When it's been stored you can easily reset the UI as Pabs said.

Just posting incase someone else happens to have the same problem as it still exists in version 4R7 P3.
  • absorbentghost
    Offline / Send Message
    absorbentghost polycounter lvl 6
    I have the same issue , after taking so long to create my UI after some  period the menus started acting up , couldn't pin point why .
  • Jakro
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakro greentooth
    I would suggest never changing your ZBrush ui without doing an iterative same first. Then be sure to store your new interface. That way you always have a few back ups and you can worry less about zbrush messing up your ui. Restore custom user interface is great for reloading you ui if it starts to bug out
  • Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
    Thousand polycounter lvl 9
    I have been having this issue since years - not sure why Pixo doesn't care to fix it. My workaround is also to reload my custom user interface whenever this is happening. 
    custom menus are so important, that it would be great, if this would be fixed.
  • ant1fact
    Offline / Send Message
    ant1fact polycounter lvl 9
    Interesting, it does disappear for me every now and then but restarting the program always restores it
  • kittinzaa
    Offline / Send Message
    kittinzaa polycounter lvl 5
    After update to 2018.1 this not happen to me anymore.
  • joewamp
    Offline / Send Message
    joewamp polycounter lvl 18
    So I used to be able to use the Restore UI trick mentioned here. But now it stopped working. I have 2018.1 
    Any other workarounds?
  • Joopsky
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopsky polycounter lvl 11
    For me it always happens when I delete a Sub-Tool.

I don't know why it happens but the only solution I've found is to save the UI regularly if i make changes (to a file of course) and use the Store Config button in Preferences. When it's been stored you can easily reset the UI as Pabs said.

Just posting incase someone else happens to have the same problem as it still exists in version 4R7 P3.

The issue still persists in Zbrush 2019, and yes i do have a file from which I can restore config but it's rather annoying to do it every time i delete a subtool. Did anyone found the solution to this bug yet?

UPD: Noticed a strange thing, it only messes up the custom UI if you press "Delete" button if it's not in the subtool menu, so i guess just dont include Delete to ur custom shelf and u good, which a weird workaround
  • Cookra
    Hey all, first post and it's a moan.

Yep, happened to me on 2020, spent a long time creating a layout I liked and now it just deteriorates with each open and close of the app. It actually gets worse by the day..

I love the app, it's extremely powerful and actually fun to use but it has some shady code in there, I'd love to see their automated/functional testing pipeline..

Anyhow, I am at a loss as the config file hasn't changed it just opens with loads of dark patches where the UI used to be.

I see some don't have any issues... I've found it painful on OSX for years, especially when I stack tools inside StartUp... 

I'll try the above re Delete..
  • Sebostian
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebostian polycounter lvl 7
    I found something, I have same issue in Zbrush 2020.1, and also with Custom UI and Delete button, but you can find Special Delete button in Macro menu with description (Use this button for custon UI)  :)  
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Zbrush UI is heavily affected by windows scaling feature in Display options. If you have your monitor set to something other than 100% scale. I've gotten these same issues. See if that is the case.
  • monou
    It work for me just create a hotkey to delete a subtool and for the sake of god I don't use the delete button, cause otherwise my custons disappear immediately