Home Technical Talk

Lazy Nezumi Pro - mouse and pen smoothing in PhotoShop and other apps!

Replies

• kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Pior: Unfortunately since they use their own cursor rendering method, I can't turn it off.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Gotcha - I guess there are some pros and cons to their approcah, since it allows for some very cool options that Photoshop doesn't have, like the dot cursor (which is the next best thing after the LNP "cursor off" mode !)

Something else that came to me while working : another cool option for the "app cursor off" mode in Photoshop would be the option to temporarily switch the cursor back on when the the brush is being resized, like when using the [ ] brackets or a UI slider - and then going back to "off" state when the resizing is done. I think this would give a good amount of useful visual feedback.

Of course this could also be useful for any other brush editing action from the brush panel, but for these I would expect the user to go back to full-on "app cursor on" mode anyways.

Just thought I'd mention it !

[edit] Wait a second ! "App cursor off" actually does work in Manga Studio when the program is set to "dot cursor" rather than regular. So there's that !
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Interesting, I'll have to put that in my doc.
    And I'll see if I can turn it back on temporarily while changing brush size in PS.
  • Smoluck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smoluck polycounter lvl 7
    Concentric and Connected Ellipse presets are very close to what I mean when I say draw from center.

yeah it's not lost on me this stuff is not easy to accomplish so I really appreciate it :)

I made a rough - poorly spelled blockout of an ideal usage scenario for me. Just to explain. Hopefully it helps.
    http://i.imgur.com/Sja4NMW.png

1-
    What about a system that can define the vanishing point from 4 corner point ?

You could caculate the best approximation of one perspective by defining an origin and 3 points that cross that origin on X , Y and Z axis. Is that possible to develop ?

2-
    For the pixelArt isometric mode, we could define a more precise angle by clicking on the [...] and by adding more decimal.
    But even if i define 26.56° it didn't let me draw perfectly stepped pixel line.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    1. You'd have to guess the focal length though, unless you use 2 corners. And you have to be sure that these corners are 90 degree box corners. This sounds really complicated...

2. What do you mean it didn't let you draw a "perfectly stepped pixel line"?
  • Smoluck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. You should get in touch with Bjoern Siegert that have made a camera matching script for Modo (yes, 3D tools but the key basis are the same).

2. Yes i got jagged or double stepped pixel line especially at the corner of the increment part.

have you tested it ?

pixelart_isometricprojection.gif
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Sorry but I don't see what the problem is. Are they not being drawn at the correct angle?
  • Smoluck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i found that to create isometric pixelart, we should got a new feature, that can define the starting point of the canvas in order to get regular stepped pixel line all over the canvas without loosing the pixel pattern proportion. I will make a video soon to illustrate this concept.

Here we need a Reference point or at least 2 pixel to define how the Isometric line should be lined up:

https://vimeo.com/123599731
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Hi guys!

I'm working on a new smoothing preset for LNP that is physics based.
    You can control the mass of the brush, and the air resistance (drag).
    Pressure is output directly from the current speed, so if bound to brush size, you get thinner curve areas where you slow down.

It makes some really nice lines for calligraphy.
    You can download it here: http://lazynezumi.com/downloads/lnpSmoothingWeighted.zip
    Unzip and place the xml in your LNP presets folder (in LNP, menu Presets->Open Presets Dir, then rescan).

I'd love to know what you guys think before I include it in a future update! :)

Here are some GIFs of it in action.

AbsoluteWhoppingDrongo.gifHotGrimGypsymoth.gifAcademicClearAsiaticwildass.gif
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    It's a good tool, I'm still trying to find, where I may need it at this point, just bought a Ps extension !
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    geez I would love this for opacity or flow! ( as I usually slow down when I build up to a value )
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doh! been awhile since I visited yer site. So both can be tied to speed? ( opacity and size )

But I sort of assumed this feature was for some lazy pen-less brushing?? sensitivity emulation?
    But actually backing up the thread and visiting the site I see that only pen is mentioned???

Is this actually not possible with a mouse then?
    ( between the comfort I have with button mapped shortcuts while brushing with a mouse and the greater amount of one handed buttons one has on the mouse for keyboard-lazy jags... A pressure sensitive mouse or pressure sensitive mat/mouse-pad sure would be nirvana )
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    claydough, the pressure dependence is in Photoshop, so you could us it for opacity or flow instead of size by just switching it of course.
    (EDIT: was answering your first post, LNP is really made for drawing with a stylus, you could probably do some stuff with a mouse maybe though, try the demo!)
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    claydough: LN will process incoming input before passing it along to the art application. The mouse doesn't have pressure input, so LN can only do position processing with it.
    Like Bal said, you'll have a lot more to play with if you get a pen tablet! :)
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got me a pen tablet...
    I jes to lazy to reach over 13 inches n grab it! :-)
    I have used the early versions of LN with my tablet. I had my hopes on that velocity "feature" for an LM! "lazy mouse"
    ( plus it just seems silly that no one has ever built pressure sensitivity into mice )
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Working on fisheye (5 point) perspective preset!

ElegantBoilingIrrawaddydolphin.gif
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    You just might be a wizard.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Pure, unadulterated witchcraft
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Sorry to disappoint guys.
    I am not actually a wizard.
    But I play one on my tv! :D
  • Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    @kamih - Hey just stumbled across your set of tools this last weekend! So great man. REALLY awesome stuff. So happy to pay for this set of tools. And thanks so much for being so active about bringing new features and fixing stuff. Awesome to see how involved you are and I can't wait to see the new stuff you'll bring to the toolset.

I do have one question. I am thrilled with the perspective constraints. Awesome stuff for sure. But I have two questions about it. First, is there a way to toggle constraint on each axis? Like if I want to quickly and decisiviely pick an axis to constrain to, maybe I could hold a hotkey, and while held, only draw on that axis. I find when especially VP1 and VP2 get near the horizon, it is really hard to constrain to the correct axis. And even other times, sometimes it just picks the wrong one as I try to draw the line. Would be great if I could just hotkey each axis constraint, that way I could be sure I was using the correct VP with each stroke.

Also, and I know this one may be impossible or really hard to achieve, but is there any plan to have the horizon/center point track with panning and zooming? Just curious. It seems like it might be really hard to do, but I don't really know, so just wondering.

Anyways, awesome stuff! Thanks for putting together such a great set of tools.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Hi Owl, glad you like it! :)

1. Totally agree. This annoys me too, especially when I'm trying to make GIFs! :)
    I'm actually thinking of changing it this way:
    I will remove the boolean snapToVp params, and replace them with 2 params:
    snapToMode: 0 (off, for free drawing with guides still visible), 1 (auto), 2 (manual select)
    snapToSelect: (for when snapToMode == 2) 0 (VP1), 1 (VP2), 2 (VP3).
    Then I will add keyboard shortcuts for both these params, and some sort of visible indicator when you are in manual select mode, to see which line it's set to snap to.
    What do you think?

2. Yeah, everyone has been asking me about this. It's something I REALLY want to do, but right now it seems very complicated, given that there are so many ways for the user to move/zoom the canvas. Someone at Adobe recently told me there are canvas attributes I can query via the API, but no event callbacks when they change... so it still might be possible. It's in my TODO and I will start experimenting soon hopefully!
  • Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    Hey kamih,

Sounds like a great solution. Just to be clear tho, then when in Manual Select mode, you could set a hotkey or there would be a hotkey on each axis constraint so you could on the fly switch between them while drawing, without having to change it manually in the dialog box? If that's what you mean or something like that, then yes that would be perfect. And the visible indicator idea is great!

As far as the second solution, I totally understand its complicated. If it happens down the line, that will be great, but its still a great tool now.

Thanks for the quick response! :D
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, a shortcut to toggle between active line, and maybe also indiv shortcuts for each (it's hard to find free keys lol).
  • Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    Sounds great! I think that would make it so much faster and more efficient. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :D
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Here's how the new perspective manual snapMode is looking so far.
    I'm pretty happy with this. No more false starts! :)
    Any suggestions regarding visual indication? First thing I thought of was dashed lines, but there might be something better. Let me know! :)

InfantileTestyArmadillo.gif
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    And here's how it looks if I dim the unselected lines instead:
    Which do you guys prefer?

KindlyGrandAmberpenshell.gif
  • kurt_hectic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kurt_hectic polycounter lvl 10
    Interesting, I'll test it today. To be honest from your soft I use only "cursor off while drawing" (I'm cintiq user.) and sometimes fast smooth.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    kurt, I'm still working on this. Will be in the next update!
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I can't seem to get smooth lines using LNP. I've tried it in both Photoshop and MangaStudio, used both mouse and tablet (Monoprice), and tried messing with the various presets. Even reformatted my PC (not because of LN, got a virus), but still no luck.

Is there anything else I can try? :(

Example in Photoshop ('smoothing - massive', 1% brush spacing):

E6kYhME.jpg
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Sorry PolyHertz, I didn't get notified of your post.
    If you're still having trouble with it, please send me an email and I'll be happy to help!
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    In the 15.09.01 update I've added a way to freeze the perspective system, so you can quickly draw subdivided lines!
    This makes it more easy to lay down a quick and dirty perspective layout that is accurate, without going into your 3d software.
    Default key is NumLock, and it can be changed via the "Settings->Edit Shortcuts/Constraints" menu.
    Let me know what you think!

EntireDeadEuropeanfiresalamander.gif
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    Im having trouble keeping Quixel windows in front of the photoshop window after installing the LMP trial. Does LMP modify anything that might cause that? I modified some other settings at the same time because i just installed my tablet and had to troubleshoot it a little bit, so just checking. This happens btw when LMP isn't running, and i selected not to load with photoshop as well.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Thane:
    Quixel tries to stay on top, and so does LNP's overlay window... :(
    Can you try disabling the overlay? Menu "Settings->Edit Overlay Settings", uncheck first box.
    Also, it would help me if you could do "Help->Send Logs" in LNP and email me the log_photoshop.txt file.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Coming soon to LNP: fisheye perspective constraint! :)

NippyAggressiveBarbet.gif
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    You're too good to us Kamih.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I bought a subscription to Sketchbook Pro it has alot of the features this Ps tool has. I love Sketchbook in conjunction with Photoshop you have all you need for digital tools; one just has to learn them if you don't know, that boat I'm not in, whew :)
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Lazy Nezumi Pro update 15.11.26 adds measurement ticks to Connected and Parallel Line presets, so you can use them as rulers!
    http://lazynezumi.com/news#15.11.26

• kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    The next update of LNP will add an accuracy slider to the Ellipse preset, so you can draw not-so-perfect circles, but still have them close easily!
    This is another great idea suggested by a user! :)
    PS. LNP is on sale for the holidays, until Jan 2!
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    Thats amazing idea! Loving it.

Can it make the line wiggles a bit similar to Peanuts' line art?
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    I am planning on moving all the constraints to their own section of the plugin (right now they are scripts).
    When that is done, you will be able to apply scripts after them, for more possibilities!
  • armagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    armagon polycounter lvl 11
    Would it be possible to create some "jittery" lines like in XKCD style? http://xkcd.com/1620/

• kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Armagon, usually people use LN to create beautiful lines. :)
    But yes, you can use the quantize distortion scripting mode, and set xGrid and yGrid to 1, and you'll get quantized lines that look jittery.
    And if you draw in Photoshop, you'll get that randomly for free, but that's a bug ;)

• kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    In the latest LNP update, I've added an Auto Adjust button to the pressure curve group, so you can quickly find settings that will help you get the most pressure range without pressing too hard.

LNP is also on sale this weekend! :)
    https://lazynezumi.com

• kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Ever since I started working on this project, people have been asking me if I could fix the issue in Photoshop where pen lines suddenly (and for no apparent reason) become jittery.
    I finally snapped and locked myself in my apartment for days with my debugger.
    I think I've found the cause, and a possible solution.
    The latest version of LNP (16.06.03) has an experimental fix!  :)
    https://lazynezumi.com/news

• CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to consolidate your tools so there is less panels and settings.  When you are designing you may want to change settings fast, and less panels but the options remain is key. :anguished:
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Yes, I am thinking of rearranging things a little.
    After I release the Rulers update, I will probably remove the Pressure Processing and Tilt/Rotation sections, and move those options into a common Smoothing section. And maybe move Pressure Speed Scaling into Pressure Curve.
    So we would have the following sections: Smoothing, Pressure Curve, Rulers, Scripting.
    Let me know what you think, or if you have any suggestions! :)
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    The Rulers Update public beta is now live.
    A ton of work went into this, I hope you'll find it useful!
    https://lazynezumi.com/news#16.11.23

In other news, I'll be having a Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale this weekend.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Everybody buy this!
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I nearly bought this but it's not playing nicely with my poor man's cintiq (monoprice 22").

I'd be happy to do some proper testing if kamih is interested in firming up support for obscure hardware