Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    I'll PM you when i do ;)
  • NovaaH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
    I have read the entirety of this thread. Everything.

That was quite an experience.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I never read it all. Seemed excessive. After a while of reading and practicing you just pick up the general idea. Just reading it feels like you would remember 10% of it.
  • NovaaH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
    Started it the other morning, and it's like every shape is an enigma. :3

Ok, you get the main concept pretty quickly, but there are so many tricks disseminated across the full thread that I don't regret my read one bit. )

Oh, and perna/ZacD are rockstars. They should write a book, or do a movie. Or something.
  • Equilibrium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equilibrium polycounter lvl 6
    /delete please/
  • Paulsen93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need some advice from the SubD gurus out there. . .

I've been struggling with the hood of this Lamborghini for a while now. The images on the left show the main problem area with smoothing errors. Any tips on how you would go about reinforcing the edges?

4XnoS49.jpg

I thought I struck gold when I saw Zigzter pose this same question on page 113, but never saw a response:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1835611&postcount=2804

Here's a link to my progress thread with a few more pictures:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149662

If you know of a good solution, it would help me out immensely!
  • Equilibrium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equilibrium polycounter lvl 6
    Hey everyone, I'm modeling Noisy Cricket gun from Men in Black. I will have it 3D printed later on.

Not sure how to model the pistol grip. Any help would be much appreciated.

j8VBrhSTzQP2p.jpg

ibbyXJ48Gu0woR.jpg
  • Paulsen93
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    so i took the Lamborghini Hood obj, import it into modo

I'v just delete the part i dont want to be sharp (the two edges on the front of the hood) and from there I change loops direction until i have good smooth :

1427748407-part1.png1427748406-part2.png
    Iv also made some slight modifications on the top!
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    ibbyXJ48Gu0woR.jpg

height map? please someone help that guy, i want to know!
  • Paulsen93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the Noisy Cricket's handle, I'd do it in Zbrush using the method from Joseph Drust's "Surface Variation-Surface Noise" video:

http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/lesson/helmet-design-with-joseph-drust/#surface-variation-surface-noise

Hope that helps!
  • Paulsen93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to replicate your mesh, and tweaked a couple parts. I still have a few smoothing problems, but I think it'll work.

Thanks for the help WaYWO!

Now to figure out how I'm going to cut headlights into it without creating a new set of problems. . .

R65czet.jpg
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    For the Noisy Cricket's handle, I'd do it in Zbrush using the method from Joseph Drust's "Surface Variation-Surface Noise" video:

http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/home...-surface-noise

Hope that helps!

Thank u!
    I tried to replicate your mesh, and tweaked a couple parts. I still have a few smoothing problems, but I think it'll work.

Thanks for the help WaYWO!

Now to figure out how I'm going to cut headlights into it without creating a new set of problems. . .

dont get to frustrated, take your time!
  • ekul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scimitar_by_Majimaune.jpg

What's the best way to do the leather wrap on the grip?
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    splines & path deform
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    Guys, I could use some help finding out how something like this was made. I think it is done in Zbrush ? if so, are there any tutorials that can teach me the tools needed to do similar things ?

heavy_structural_Parts_01.jpg?format=1500w
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    From that image you can clearly see that the author is Vitaly Bulgarov, think he doesn't use Zbrush for doing things from scratch like thise, so its probably just a 3d app or im just wrong because it is a keyshot render with roundeedge shader, arghh still complicate to determinate his pipeline, if you wanna get involve in it, go google his pipeline.

Edit : it is a 3d app, why put a roundedge shader if its Zbrush... so if you wonder how he does that type of stuff that's probably a mess of booleans with triangulate on top + doesnt know if keyshot support NGONS.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    Vitaly Bulgarov=XSI

The store where he sells the kitbash models, and where this picture came from states: NonSubd

This means that he's using the standard and lighter approach, demoed here:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ct9voyU3h0[/ame]
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    are these models still usable as high poly models ? I am wondering if you can import these models into Zbrush, dynamesh it , and use these as high poly.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not really, if you watch the video you'll see that this technique relies on heavy usage of n-gons, they won't look that well subdivided.
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    Yep, Zbrush does not really support Ngons, however if you import an obj fill with NGons

Zbrush will propose you to triangulate them all.
    wich is not good in some cases
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    are these models still usable as high poly models ? I am wondering if you can import these models into Zbrush, dynamesh it , and use these as high poly.

You can totally do this. I've found zbrush to be surprisingly competent with awful geometry. Whether or not this suits your pipeline is another question. Modeling this way is extremely destructive and offers little to no flexibility for iteration and modification.

rOamhT.png
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    You can totally do this. I've found zbrush to be surprisingly competent with awful geometry. Whether or not this suits your pipeline is another question. Modeling this way is extremely destructive and offers little to no flexibility for iteration and modification.

rOamhT.png

Wow! dynamesh i guess or you zremeshed it?
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    How would you model this Door lever? The attention to detail is moderately important for this :) References aren't brilliant but should be enough to shape from

ad1d8f5546.jpg

cea1bca445.jpg

b3d83d850f.jpg

adb0a09244.jpg

Cheers
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something like this?

CZ21HRn.png
    6KPKYMv.png

Start with a quad sphere (Hexahedron Sphere), then, cut it in half and flattened the top, extrude the bottom, cut an edge loop and select half of the polygons on the side, extrude them, and with other operations you'll get this:

oYYLCyZ.png
    :)

With the help of some FFD modifier you'll easily bend it, to get the shape shown on the picture. Remember to make at least 2 subdivisions so that the FFD has some "material" to work with.

To get the indent in the middle you just have to bevel the middle edge loop starting from the handle to the back, do not bevel the whole loop, as for the front is not needed.

I can't explain the whole procedure, since I'm in a hurry right now, so I'll leave the FBX if you need to take a look at how I made it, I've included the sphere too, check the Outliner for hidden objects.

FBX
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey SonicBlue,

That's helped infinitely, thanks a bunch. :)

Will post up mine when I'm finished. I've just been tweaking the shape of one I recreated.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 wrote: »

rOamhT.png

that is pretty cool! never seen forms like that in max, how did you make these basic forms ?
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    that is pretty cool! never seen forms like that in max, how did you make these basic forms ?

bools! for sure.
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure what I'm doing wrong here...

9f96af7452.png

f1bd31c89a.jpg

Both getting smoothing errors. The vertical Cylinder is 16 sides, horizontal intersecting one is 8 sides

Sorry for posting so much recently too :P

Cheers :)
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My vertical, larger cylinder has a considerably larger radius than the horizontal intersecting cylinder which makes it harder to just tweak verts to minimise pinching
  • fongoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fongoose polycounter lvl 5
    Hi Folks,

Currently modelling a Pistol. Struggling with the handle grip. Just discovered this thread and wondering if anyone can lend a hand. I'm using subdivision surfaces in modo. Striggling to get a clean surface without having to overload with control loops. If someone could do a draw-over or a quick example in 3D I would be grateful :) It's the handle grip I'm struggling with.

Hope you can help.

Best

Mike

ruger_mk2_paclite_od.jpg
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    s6 wrote: »

rOamhT.png
    If you could tell us how you did that, that'd be great. :)
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    import full model with shitty NGONS, then trianglate by Zbrush, then dynamesh though, lol.
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    Hi Folks,

Currently modelling a Pistol. Struggling with the handle grip. Just discovered this thread and wondering if anyone can lend a hand. I'm using subdivision surfaces in modo. Striggling to get a clean surface without having to overload with control loops. If someone could do a draw-over or a quick example in 3D I would be grateful :) It's the handle grip I'm struggling with.

Hope you can help.

Best

Mike

wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 3476x1964.ruger_mk2_paclite_od.jpg

circle the part you want to fix, my brain dont match handle grip somewhere here
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    fongoose wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Hope you can help.

Best

Mike

ruger_mk2_paclite_od.jpg
    Always try to show us what you got, so we can tell you what can be done =)
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Must be a better way to do this sort of cylinder to shape transition than what I've got after a few hours of (frankly) dicking about with it. :P

ada92d0385.jpg

62bc984854.png

057805a266.jpg

Again, sorry about the shitty reference. Google Maps is all I have for this project's reference material. It should be enough to get an idea from though. :)

Appreciated, cheers!
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    fongoose wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Hope you can help.

Best

Mike

http://thomasrwbutters.blogspot.com/2013/05/3ds-max-diamond-pattern-tutorial.html
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    If you could tell us how you did that, that'd be great. :)

Ah, sure thing. Nothing special happening here: Booleans in max, and using GoZ to bring the mesh into zbrush, Dynamesh it, then smooth.

It's great if you need to get some really complicated geometry done really fast, but it's bad for just about everything else(IMO). The second you Dynamesh it you remove most of your ability to iterate on major things. Doing smoothing and detail work on layers helps keep it somewhat revisable, but that's an imperfect solution in my mind.

That said, If I was making an engine block for example, in moderate or extreme detail, I'd dynamesh all day. The time you would save on complicated intersections would out weight the control you loose IMO.
  • Boban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [IMG][/img]http://postimg.org/image/arl3kw9d1/

Please guys, tell me how the fak to model the damn door. I tried it everything. but either i am losing the circle window or the entire shape. If i add more edges, it ruin the door circle.

Any help plsss
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    What do you got at the moment?
  • Boban
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    Boban wrote: »
    [IMG][/img]http://postimg.org/image/arl3kw9d1/

Please guys, tell me how the fak to model the damn door. I tried it everything. but either i am losing the circle window or the entire shape. If i add more edges, it ruin the door circle.

Any help plsss

See your progress

and in this case i would just use the shapes of the car to my advantage by extracting polygons of the door area, but first you have to cuttin that door shape, then you can extract and give strips of polys some thickness using extrude functions...
    for the circle, if you want perfect match just take a cylinder that you snapon with 8 or 12 sides and cut the shape on the surface from there... or you can use this useful script that works with maya 2015, and lower... http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/spherize-selection-maya-plugin-pymel
  • JohanL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not very mechanical I guess but how would you guys model this chain? Viking_Dragon_lg.jpg
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How would YOU model it? What have you tried?
  • JohanL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like it's sort of made out of three major "ropes" twisting around eachother.

Thats easily enough made with a nonlinear twist deformation in Maya but if I try to make the smaller ropes inside the big rope with something like a helix, and then use the twist deformation it sort of just breakes the shape of the helix.
    yaI7enC.png

I even doubt it's built up that way, but it breakes my head trying to figure out how it's done :D.

Hope that makes any sense.
  • Volantk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Volantk polycounter lvl 11
    I don't have time to try modeling it right now, but I think this breakdown is more correct.

Four twisting rings.

66Fis54.jpg
  • mobpapst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mobpapst polycounter lvl 4
    Hey guys,

i've got a little problem and i dont know how so solve it right. I want to make this shape. its a half cylinder with offset holes in it:

25ahn8hb.png

i started with making a plane by useing the grid to start with the hole first and duplicate it offset to get this kind of shape. its about 4 rows of them. thats what i've done so far but i still get problems as you can see:

h2cpvw7h.png

i dont get quads all over and i tryed different ways. maybe you can help me and show me how to offset these. thanks so far
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mobpapst wrote: »
    Hey guys,

i've got a little problem and i dont know how so solve it right. I want to make this shape. its a half cylinder with offset holes in it:

25ahn8hb.png

i started with making a plane by useing the grid to start with the hole first and duplicate it offset to get this kind of shape. its about 4 rows of them. thats what i've done so far but i still get problems as you can see:

h2cpvw7h.png

i dont get quads all over and i tryed different ways. maybe you can help me and show me how to offset these. thanks so far

Try something like this

Aj1bPtv.png

Shinigami wrote: »
    is someone familiar with a car creation with splines?

If you could explain better what issues you are facing at the moment, it would be easier to give you a hand.
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    Hey guys,

25ahn8hb.png

wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1920x1040.h2cpvw7h.png

here is my two cents

1428763018-polyz.png
  • kakapoopie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, I'm modelling a spaceship and there's some tricky stuff around the vent corners. Any advice on how to improve/simplify these areas?

Thanks,
    Vaughan

eQT0Nfw.jpg
    Mu399GD.jpg
    rJXGhcO.jpg