Home Quixel Megascans

ANSWERED: multi UV sets capabilities?

Just a a query really,

So you have a complex model, there is no way you can get the desired detail you want in one UV map.

Is is possible for this suite to support multiple UV tiles? Instead of working on each UV tile and that corresponding mesh separately.

hope this makes sense. if not here is a picture of an example...
uv_tiles_o.jpg

One object, spanning over multiple UV tiles, so that greater details can be achieved within smaller Map sizes.

Does Quixel Suite Support this or any chance of it being implemented?

Replies

• loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    I don't think DDo supports this, as you would need several different sets of normals, albedo etc. The only way would be to texture each element seperatly and combine them as one object later on with different sub-materials, but that would be extremely clunky and ineffective.

You will simply need to pack everything in one UV space and up the texture resolution.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDO absolutely support multive UV´s! All you need to do is make sure you create your obj-file with the gropups you want. and name them properly so that you know what is what when you move over to DDO.

When using an OBJ that has multiple meshgroups you get a list in the top right corner of the "Base creator" in DDO where you can see your groups. Just select the one by one and input the correct maps for each group and then create your project!

You obviously need a different set of input maps for each group for everything to work :)

I like to split it in the most natural way, if I havea character then it would be as following: Skin, Armor, Cloth, Weapon, and so on. Keeping everything structured and organized is the best way of achieveng good results fast, bare in mind that all the different groups will be created as a separate instance, allthough you can view the entire mesh in 3DO and easily move between the groups adding materials, a material added in one group will not show up in another. So if you know certain things will have the same material its easier to keep them in the same group so that you get a more unified look of your model and you don´t have to add the same materials over and over.

Hope this helps, let me know if anything was unclear!
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    Well now i know something new.
  • Eric Ramberg
  • stumpinater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Eric! I will definitely give this a go when I get back to my PC. I am currently working on an old race car, I have already split this mesh up into groups. So looks like all I need to do is check out the export options.

Thanks again for the heads up. I will give you a shout if I get lost at any point!
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just hit me up with a PM or post here!
  • pirate myke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent info, thank you Eric
  • boblenain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would be nice to have a tut on this because the wiki miss it. Anyone ready for it ?
  • Tim3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there,

I have been getting to grips with the latest DDO this last week. I seem to be coming across an issue I can't seem to rectify in DDO and hoping you can shed some light on it.

I have loaded a character mesh in and generated all the textures in DDO nicely with one combined mesh saved as an obj. When I import my new obi with separate hair, it loads in fine but the hair is default chrome in 3DO. This makes sense as I haven't loaded any of its own maps in yet to re-render them in DDO. When I go back to the Re-importer though the mesh tab has disappeared and I can't seem to find a way of being able to load the hair base maps into it be able to generate the rest of the maps.

Another issue:

If I start a fresh scene and load the new obj with two meshes (body and hair) it picks them up in the importer to load separate maps but when I go to the drop down to tick all the maps I want to generate, it only does one selection of maps for both meshes and I don't need epidermal and sub dermal maps for the hair for instance. Is there a way to generate only the maps you want for each mesh?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated as I can't seem to find any answers on this as there does not seem to be any info on loading and generating multiple maps for different parts of a mesh with different uvs.

Many thanks.
  • stumpinater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boblenain, good call, I think putting this in the Wiki would actually be really useful! Especially as this post will become lost at some point, other users will probably ask about this again at some point!
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A tutorial of this is a good idea!

Tim3d - hi!

Unfortunately there is now way to back and add input maps to a meshgroup if you created the project without any input maps in this group.. This is probably something we should look in to as I have myself found this a bit limiting at times. Very sorry! I think there is a way to edit the XML file itself to "fool" the project and add the other meshgroup as a tab and then reimport inputs, but I´m not sure, if you attempt this I suggest a backup of the project before!

For your second question, there is actually no way to specify specific maps for each part of the mesh, but this is a very good idea and we will look in to this!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here :(