Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    hairspart2.jpgrazor.jpgskords.jpg

Hit and run concept dump
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    yay! it worked on game
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_UhTGHR2io"]Silly dragon in Dota 2, first test - YouTube[/ame]

i still need to adjust something, the turns are not working but i messed all my .qc to work on the game in the place of the donkey and that caused some problems..
  • Archimedes
    @Spudnik

I just wanted you to know i got my model view able thanks to you(and patience, perseverance, etc.) And i didn't even punch a hole in my monitor!
  • Archimedes
    VbBKh.jpg

Wow, i am glad i can see now how much work it still needs! Thanks Spudnik!
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    That razor helmet reminds me of something...scary. I can't remember what, but it's freaky. And cool. Nice work.

Also, I love the animations on that courier Tvidotto. It's so adorable...I want to buy it now!!

Anyway, I finished up my Lanaya set. I'd love to do more with it, but I think it'd be better just to start over with a new set at this point.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=85225306
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    So of course, after having spent a week on figuring out how to compile, Valve releases this. They were just waiting for me to figure it out the old fashioned way so they could point and laugh at me. I love you Valve.

Images from http://www.cyborgmatt.com/2012/07/dota-2-25th-july/

Dota2_Workshop01.jpg
    Dota2_Workshop02.jpg
    Dota2_Workshop03.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Well It will probably never get into the game, but I've posted the start of it so I'm going to post the finished version as well. :p

Next time I'l try to make a model that is more serious and try to get that into the game.

The finished model is 828 poly's and has a 256x256 diffuse and normal map.

WGMKP.jpg
  • Archimedes
    Spudnik wrote: »
    So of course, after having spent a week on figuring out how to compile, Valve releases this. They were just waiting for me to figure it out the old fashioned way so they could point and laugh at me. I love you Valve.

Well Spudnik, i still love you! :D
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    That, and from what I've heard, the compiler in-game does things a little funny. So I at least, will probably be sticking with things the old fashioned way for a while.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I updated my set a bit based on feedback from the workshop and reddit.

40.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=85225306
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I realized way too late (after textures, masks and compile) that the ears couldn't work stand-alone. If they went into the Head slot on their own the character would be bald... so I made some hair. I was so mad at how I completely overlooked that. It only sets me back a day or two, but dang.

DrowHairEars.jpg
  • TimPogson
    @ Tvidotto

That dragon is soo cool, I would buy that courier. One thing though shouldn't the dragon be bigger in theportrait and fill the portrait space.
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    Eleryn wrote: »
    I updated my set a bit based on feedback from the workshop and reddit.

Those textures are pretty great but I think you could push the asymmetry on the right arm a bit more. (even more?)
  • Largs
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    yay! it worked on game
    Silly dragon in Dota 2, first test - YouTube

i still need to adjust something, the turns are not working but i messed all my .qc to work on the game in the place of the donkey and that caused some problems..

How do you test in game?
    Spudnik wrote: »

Dota2_Workshop01.jpg
    Dota2_Workshop02.jpg
    Dota2_Workshop03.jpg

it happend to me too
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Well my hammer wasn't such a succes, so I decided to make something else. After seeing the really cool dragon courier I thought about making one myself. Unfortunatly I still can't animate :p

Here it is, it's still not optmized and still an idea..

EQHXr.jpg
  • polysquid
    Sure glad Google led me here.

I'm loving these posts. I've been admiring a lot of these items through the Workshop beforehand.

Here's a big chopper for Axe, but I might re-sub it as a beastmaster weapon as that's what people seem to want. Workshop Link.

iaza12568851766800.jpg

Also pushing out one for the Dragon Knight which is still WIP.

iaza12568848834000.jpg

iaza12568815495600.jpg
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Neat, I really like the axe.

The DK sword I think may be a bit big. I just doesn't look right in his hands, as if it's too unwieldy and heavy.
  • polysquid
    Neat, I really like the axe.

The DK sword I think may be a bit big. I just doesn't look right in his hands, as if it's too unwieldy and heavy.

Is the first image a little better? The second one is before I sized it down a notch.

iaza12568836661600.jpg

Can't wait to finish work and try them with the test function. Only found out about it through this topic.
  • XzXDooGXzX
    I've got a few problems, and after taking so long to figure it out myself I think I need help. I started with trying to decompile lanaya, that didn't work because the program kept crashing. So I randomly picked enchantress and that did work. I have no idea why some of the models don't decompile. From there, I imported the smd into softimage with the plugin. But, I can't get it to import with the textures. I usually use 3ds so I'm not sure what is even going on in softimage. When it imports it shows a labeled grid of some sort on the model when I have textured view active. I just want to get the model moved to 3ds with the textures. I would import the smd straight to 3ds, but there isn't a plugin to do so for 2013. Or is there?
  • Zeldrak
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrak polycounter lvl 8
    Anyone know if Enchantress is already broken down to accept items? i wanted to experiment on some stuff, but I need to know if her horns and hair are also broken down for customzation.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    @XzXDooGXzX
    Import the model and then relink the textures. You have to decompile them first from .VTFs to .TGAs.

@Zeldrak:
    Not broken down yet. All she has is a "enchantress","enchantress_flower" and "enchantress_spear" file.
  • <3pwnies
    hey guys i've been lurking these forums for sometime now & was wondering if anyone could point out what im doing wrong here.

brokenf.jpg

i was testing out the new workshop interface & this came out, is there a solution without having to mess with the qc? thx
  • Nemozini
    I don't believe it has anything to do with the QC

* Import her original bow SMD (Y-axis). Her bow will be floating above the ground plane , this positioning is what we want!
    * Replace the original bow mesh with yours at this position. grab it and rotate it to take place of original bow.
    * Make sure Material is assigned and points to Valve's material path. (materials/models/heroes....etc)
    * Make sure to respect Valve's origin positioning. Usually item origin is on the center and the mesh itself is transformed to the position required with that origin staying at the center.
    * Then weight your mesh to the bow bones.
    * Export SMD/compile to MDL or export to another format for the new in game compile tool.

I use blender btw.
  • jwest
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    yay! it worked on game
    Silly dragon in Dota 2, first test - YouTube

Congrats man this turned out really well! :)
  • <3pwnies
    Nemozini wrote: »
    I don't believe it has anything to do with the QC

* Import her original bow SMD (Y-axis). Her bow will be floating above the ground plane , this positioning is what we want!
    * Replace the original bow mesh with yours at this position. grab it and rotate it to take place of original bow.
    * Make sure Material is assigned and points to Valve's material path. (materials/models/heroes....etc)
    * Make sure to respect Valve's origin positioning. Usually item origin is on the center and the mesh itself is transformed to the position required with that origin staying at the center.
    * Then weight your mesh to the bow bones.
    * Export SMD/compile to MDL or export to another format for the new in game compile tool.

I use blender btw.

yup i did that, its in line with her hand now but its totally disconnected from the rest of the body so when i spin the model around the bow is left behind
  • Shiv
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Just been working on a bamboo set for Ursa, to continue the trend of silly items for him I guess XD

I don't have Dota2 at all so cant do any more with it, might buy access when I make a full completely silly bamboo set for Ursa, the bamboo bear :D

BooBracer3.JPG

Thanks
  • mystichobo
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    fBAmp.jpg

Started making a broken barrel helm for tidehunter
  • Emalde
    Hey! Interested onlooker here, a lot of the stuff going on here is really cool! However, I'd like to propose a suggestion for someone looking for something outside of the box.

Wisp is my favorite hero, but there is only one workshop effort for it and it's a recolor (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=84195790). Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly fine with this, but a lot of people don't seem very interested!

So what if instead of recoloring Wisp, what if it was reshaped and reanimated? What if one of the cosmetic items changed its shape from a sphere to some form of tesseract or other geometric oddity? It would be interesting and thematically appropriate, given Wisp is a multidimensional being.

I don't expect anyone to even consider it, but I know I have no idea how to use a 3D Modeling Program (especially to edit something like Wisp, who is almost entirely particle effects and nothing else) and I just wanted to bring a bit of attention to a hero who seems like nobody has any ideas of how to handle cosmetics for. :)
  • Largs
    Someone knows how to test items in-game?
    with their new system I can't test my Queen Of Pain's set =S
  • Brandos
    I'm so desperate.
    This whole "SMD/Compile" is to high for me.
    Creating a 3D Modell and the textures? No problem!
    Get it into the game? No chance ....

If someone could help me ... this would be very great.
    Of course this person will get 50% kudos of the items.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Go back to the previous page, Spudnik posted a full guide on it.
  • Largs
    Brandos wrote: »
    I'm so desperate.
    This whole "SMD/Compile" is to high for me.
    Creating a 3D Modell and the textures? No problem!
    Get it into the game? No chance ....

If someone could help me ... this would be very great.
    Of course this person will get 50% kudos of the items.

The new patch of dota2 automaticaly compile it, you just need .smd for lod1(lod0 is optional) and 4 textures .tga, all under the specifications(number of polys and texture size).
  • Brandos
    Largs wrote: »
    The new patch of dota2 automaticaly compile it, you just need .smd for lod1(lod0 is optional) and 4 textures .tga, all under the specifications(number of polys and texture size).

Thanks for all your answers! :)

I tried to upload my item but the error " triangle Error: Too many vertices in trianlge" appears ... what does that mean?
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah if ever there was a time to take a deep breath and wait a few days or a couple weeks, now would be it. Should be lots of resources and possible tools coming out in the near future on how to do this stuff. Only going to get easier...
  • Largs
    Thanks for all your answers! :)

I tried to upload my item but the error " triangle Error: Too many vertices in trianlge" appears ... what does that mean?

Try to use decimate modifier on your model, or try to remove the non-mainfold
    I think that it might help
  • ionic
    Hello guys, i'm new here, and also new in modeling/texturing, but modeling is much easier for me, and i stuck at texturing... i dont get that valve "Dota2CharacterTextureGuide.pdf", can someone help me with this? =( Some good texturing tutorial for games. Or can someone load complete texture maps here, that i was able to consider how they should look.
    Tnx!
    P.S.
    Sorry for my bad english =\
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    lowpoly_samurai-set.PNG

blocking out the samurai set. Went for a more asymmetrical design instead.

I think its visualy much more interesting then the Old version Plus it solves a clipping problem that I would have with the 2 swords if I would mirror the kimono
  • <3pwnies
    is anyone else getting this when you use the new workshop testing tool?

broken2.jpg
  • Brandos
    Largs wrote: »
    Try to use decimate modifier on your model, or try to remove the non-mainfold
    I think that it might help

I do not really understand what you mean with that ... :(
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    I do not really understand what you mean with that ... :(

what is the triangle count for the item you are trying to commit?
    Looking at the error its pretty self explanatory. you have to many triangles for the item your are trying to submit.

http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements check your hero, and then check how many triangles you are allowed to use for that item.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Working on a sword for Kunkka now.

13.jpg

Obviously veeeeeeery basic textures. The idea was to do coral growing around the sword,

concept.jpg

as sort of a "relic from the sunken depths" kind of thing. I'm looking for feedback though, maybe some different ideas to make it a bit more interesting.
  • betasector
    Hey guys!

I decided to do a test bow for Drow, and I am struggling with the freaking pivot point. I am using Blender 2.6 mainly, but also tried to export with 3ds max, I tried .mdl and .fbx, but it seems that nothing affects the pivot, every time I modify it and export it out, the game puts it in the same place, regardless of the position of the bow and its pivot:

show.php?id=35547

Any tips?
  • DemoSama
    isnt it supposed to be exported as an smd ?
  • betasector
  • tanka
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    I'm looking into making some stuff for DOTA2, and everybody keeps talking about how the objects need to be .smd files.. It says in the guidelines that you can use obj's for static mesh.. is that true? How does the ingame viewer handle them?

/edit: Ok, looks like objs are for submission and smds are for importing into game. Sucks, modo doesn't have a native .smd exporter. :(
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    The in-game viewer just converts the .smd's and .obj's to .mdl's (the compiled format the source engine uses) anyway, so it'd do them both the same, theoretically. The .smd's are the studio model format, which is what the compiler that we've had with the source engine since the beginning uses, so that's probably a safer bet.

Modo does have a smd exporter, I remember looking for it a couple of years back. If I remember correctly though, the link is broken and isn't being maintained anymore. There is one floating around out there, somewhere, if you have enough dedication to find it.
  • betasector
    The in-game viewer just converts the .smd's and .obj's to .mdl's (the compiled format the source engine uses) anyway, so it'd do them both the same, theoretically. The .smd's are the studio model format, which is what the compiler that we've had with the source engine since the beginning uses, so that's probably a safer bet.

Modo does have a smd exporter, I remember looking for it a couple of years back. If I remember correctly though, the link is broken and isn't being maintained anymore. There is one floating around out there, somewhere, if you have enough dedication to find it.

Still, with the python script provided for blender, and the model from the dota 2 workshop site, i cant position the freaking thing, and also, no bone references but we need to do the basic rig? How?
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I haven't really messed around with the in-game compiler yet so I can't say. I have heard that it's really bad with attaching at the moment, so I would wait until valve smooths it out (or submit it the old way?).
  • Brandos
    Can i create the 3D objects with Cinema 4D and convert the Cinema 4D Obj. into SMD via Milkshape?

Could that work?
  • Nemozini
    <3pwnies wrote: »
    yup i did that, its in line with her hand now but its totally disconnected from the rest of the body so when i spin the model around the bow is left behind

I did not try the new tool , but I suggest you do it the old way.

*Decompile her original bow
    *Take the output QC
    *Edit it and you only need to change some lines (Don't copy paste below , these are NOT for the bow)
    // path to your SMDs
    $cd "C:\...\...\Desktop\Drow Model" 
    // keep same
    $modelname "heroes/drow/drow.mdl"

$model "default" "drow_model.dmx.smd"
    // Add . smd after .dmx as shown below
    $lod 1
     {
      replacemodel "drow_model.dmx.smd" "lod1_drow_model.dmx.smd"
    }

*Keep the rest of the QC.
    *Get GUIstudiomdl
    *Get Source film Maker on Steam
    *Follow Cyborgmatt's guide on how to add dota 2 to SFM till step 10
    *Open GUIstudiomdl , Config , Set Ep1 parth
    *Set ep1 path to SFM's studiomdl.exe which you can find in SFM's "bin" folder
    *Back to GUIstudiomdl , set Targetmod to dota 2 and make sure ep1 selected
    *Load up your QC , from File
    *compile
    *if it hangs , leave it even if not responding.. usually gets stuck for 1 minute then compiles fine for me.
    *You will find your compiled MDL's overwriting dota 2 models in the SFM folder.
    *Use these MDLs in either in game test tool or model viewer (CS:GO HLMV works great , SFM and Alienswarm are fine)