Home Unreal Engine

Media Texture on Static Mesh

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Scizz polycounter lvl 11
Has anyone had sucess with this? I'm trying to align a video file I made with my TV messh. Every other video I've seen on this, they apply it to a BSP, which you can scale/ stretch the texture on it, to my understanding you can't do this with meshes. So how do I get it to align. It seems the videos I HAVE seen just show it working on a tv, but with no tutorial or write up (go figure).
HQVu5fE.png

You can see my uvs, the red is the actual screen.I've tried messing around with texture coordinates with no luck. :'(

Replies

• LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Try making another UV channel of just the screen and try mapping it to the entire UV space. Then for your media texture's UVs have it set to that special channel.

I think that might work... but, I don't know for certain as I have never used a media texture myself.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    In max, my second UV channel is this 0d155aaea4.png
    but when I check in UE4 after reimporting. It's 9dbf157256.jpg
    EDIT: Jumped the gun. I have to actually delete the mesh and import, as apposed to just re-importing. Seeing if this works now.

EDIT2: Yep, still can't get it to align properly. I made the UV of the screen almost fill up the 2048 space. And also tried using a 720p video, and a 2048x2048 video.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    I'm about stumped. I've looked everywhere I can think of for something close to a way to do this. I've seen it in games like batman 9480be84a0.jpg and other Unreal Engine titles. I can get the texture to work, but am I forced to have to place it on a BSP in order to align it properly?
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    How your material setup looks? It should work properly with that second uv layout.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    99bde55350.jpg

I have the TexCoord that is connected to the U and V coordinates "Un Mirror" boxes checked for both U and V. The other TexCoord Un Mirror UV boxes are unchecked. I've gotten it close, but not perfect. There is still stretching.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    So actually you need a less simple material setup. Theres the texture sampler. Okay that given. For the Uvs of that you need a texture coordinate expression. add that, and then select it. When you select it, an new menu will appear on the left side of the material editor window (bottom left corner). The properties of the texture coordinate node will appear there. You'll see an "Index" section there. Set it to 1. That parameter is used to control which uv channel you want to use. When its set to 0 then it will use Uv channel 1 and when its set to 1 then Uv channel 2 will be used. I'm sure this should work. Good luck!
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    O yeah, I forgot to mention it is set to that already. Both the texture coordinates are set to 1.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    It should work. I can take a look into it why it doesn't work if you can upload the package.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    It keeps telling me to install visual studio, even though I have it...
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you trying to cook it? Then I couldn't take a look into the materials. For sharing the package, you can simply go into your project folder/contents, and copy the necessary packages.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Just the content folder? It's over 2 gigs, and I currently am only using the free version of dropbox which has a 2 gig limit. Is there another place I can upload it?

I've been attempting to tab back and fourth between 3ds max and UE4 adjusting the UV but the display on the screen is always stretched to one side. Is doing something like this really that uncommon? :'( Starting to get frustrated haha.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    You can even upload the whole content folder but its not necessary. I'd need only the related folders. So the folders that contains your display mesh, its textures (the video texture too that you want to use), and its material. You can also make a new folder, and copy these to the new folder, and than upload that.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Here. Hopefully that works, and thank you!
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I downloaded your zip and its damaged or dunno. I can't extract it. Its saying compressed file can't be opened.

Anyways, I don't know what you incluced into the zip, but I would like to point out that if its only the display's textures etc then the 500 mb is a lot. That would result an insane memory usage in game, and its really not optimal for one single asset.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Thats not what's taking up the memory, its the "saved" folder. It's like 1.7 gigs. I think my internet went out while I was uploading, so I'm uploading again.

I edited the original link
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Your video didn't came...XD What a stupid way is that you have to link it from your computer or URL, and they can't be "imported" and stored inside the project. Also what a stupid thing is that the media player can't handle avi...
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Ahh. So I guess you could make 1280x720 video and test it out with that. That's what I used.