Home General Discussion

Concepts to 3D

Brussells
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Brussells polycounter lvl 3
Pretty new to the whole 3D scene, and creating awesome 3D assets. Wondered whether if I see a concept created by another artist, which i'd like to create as a 3D model, whether I'm legally obliged to request permission, or whether it's just courtesy to let them know, to go ahead and use the concept to create from?

Hope that sense :)

Replies

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Unless you're using the final product for profit (like in some sort of game or advertisement), you aren't technically legally required to inform the original artist.

That said, it's generally good manners to ask permission before using someone else's concept. And hey, it also helps build relationships with other artists, so that's a plus.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Also, if it's a concept from a game/movie/media, you obviously can't ask for permission, but at that point it's fan art (and you should still mention and credit that along with the piece). But yeah, the polite thing to do is to ask permission, you might be working with that artist some day at a studio.
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    If you use a concept without permission, the rights owner could, theoretically, send a DMCA notice and legally obligate you to take your work down. It's very unlikely to happen, but it could.