Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Realistic Girl Portrait

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Chris Bruin polycounter lvl 10
I started working on this project this week, so I thought I'd start a WIP thread.

My target for this project is going to push my abilities to make the character look as realistic as possible, as this is a rendering exercise more than anything, so any tricks that I can use, will be used. The rendering will be done in VRay.

Here is the initial blockout. The white box is where the final image will be, the rest outside of the frame is just for reference and posing. Still a bit to do with the back arch, it's not quite there yet.
k8ha3eP.png

Head close up. I'm thinking she will be young, no older than 18, maybe even as young as 14. Still debating!
CzfLL2A.png

Possible hair styles, still not sure yet which direction I want to take the hair. Personally I'm feeling #1 or 6/8, but I'd love to hear some thoughts on it!
QU6yYXj.jpg

Hair will most likely be done through Fibermesh and exported as geometry at the end, I'm really comfortable with it and I feel like I can get great results based on previous work that I have done.

Usually I'm pretty bad about posting updates to my work >_> so I'm really going to try to post updates every couple of days at the most!

Replies

• FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    For the final framed render shot, I would rather choose something like 30 degree angle with a head turned (probably a bit tilted too) towards a camera. That front shot is just... not so interesting, considering how much work you'll be putting into this.
  •  Chris Bruin
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, I should have specified a bit better! That's the frame size, pose and head angle will be basically what you said, at an angle. I want to get most of the face sculpting done before I break symmetry.
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    ParadoxTLH wrote: »
    Sorry, I should have specified a bit better! That's the frame size, pose and head angle will be basically what you said, at an angle. I want to get most of the face sculpting done before I break symmetry.

Oh, alright. :)

And what comes to the hairstyles, I'd be interested to see the number 6, because it gives space for other details, and the curly hair is just... nice. ^^
  •  Chris Bruin
    Offline / Send Message
    Update for tonight:

Further refinements to the face and scarf. The hair is still placeholder, and now a mix of 1, 6 and 8. It will be fibermesh later, but it's a better idea of what I'm going to go for. I'm just testing some patterning on the shirt before I commit to anything (the stretched pattern most around the shoulders will go away!), but I am pretty sure I'll be going with something stripy.

l4UnRLy.png

The color pass is just some rough ideas for her, completely subject to change. It helps get an idea of what kind of character she will be though once color is on her.

ssesr5S.jpg

Crits welcome!