Home General Discussion

Guy walks into DE, I hate peoople that little bit more today

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
seth. polycounter lvl 14
so this happened:

EDIT* I'm killing the link out of respect for people not wanting their IP shouted about, the basic jist is this guy walks into digital Extreme's behind another employee, and proceeds to sit about, chew the fat, and then discuss a new unreleased IP with a few dev's, before getting home and spilling his load all over redit

I feel for the guys at Digital Extremes, hope that you didn't get chewed out too much over the actions of (in my eye's) some fucking idiot.

Replies

• dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I assume they didn't know he wasn't an employee? Seems like it's security's problem, and the guy who let him in.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    I've gotten through that same door before by following their employees. I was going for an interview at the time. I stopped to talk to the secretary but could have easily have just kept walking with the few guys that had already let me in with them.

Hard to tell if someone works with you just in a different department or is a complete outsider. Sad they spoiled an unannounced IP : (
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    There are people who have nothing, no joy, no passion and no love. They will climb on anything to elevate themselves and its only sad for them because every day they have to look at that thing in the mirror.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    wow thats some shitty behavior, sorry to all the DE folks that are gonna have to deal with the fallout.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Read about that earlier today.
    What really creeps me out is that the guy said he was searching for their office for some time before he pulled that stunt.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    It sucks seeing all the comments from the forums/sites that posted this. A lot of people are acting like this was some sort of act of heroism - The small man entered and leaked information from the big evil corporation.

Morals and Ethics seem a thing of the past. Eh.

At least DE handled it well.
    A recent claim from a fan circulating the web alleges he or she spent the day with us incognito. Well, Canadians are known for being welcoming and polite!

We employ over two hundred passionate gamers committed to delivering kickass games like Warframe and Sword Coast Legends and while we’re flattered someone would want to spend the day with all of us, please respect our privacy and know that, like any business would, we completely discourage any and all unlawful attempts to enter our Relay.

We love our Tenno, but let’s be respectful and law-abiding. Trespassing is never OK.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    This is why you develop a Secret Studio Handshake...it's more fun than badges
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I bet this wasn't even an original idea. It was a mission in GTA V...

perhaps people do mimic video games?
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    that's... kinda creepy to me. He even ate their lunch o_O

Got to love the community manager's response though, DE seems classy.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Not going to lie - I don't know everyone that works at my studio. If I saw someone I didn't recognize I wouldn't know they weren't an intern, temp QA etc.
  • Hyperloop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hyperloop polycounter lvl 2
    I just watched a defcon video where some penetration tester when through just how easily he can walk into places and get info from them. It's hard to have a mindset of security when you work somewhere that doesn't seem like it should require that, but I guess people will take advantage of that sadly.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    If you look like you belong, it's not hard.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Lamont wrote: »
    If you look like you belong, it's not hard.

If you look like a 25-50 year old male or female with a t-shirt, pants, and walk around with your face in your smart phone you can pretty much "belong" anywhere.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Well, more than anything I hope this doesn't give too many people any ideas....
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    At Irrational we actually had a few guys obsessively try to get into our office, sometimes following people in the parking lot, and stalking the front door - even to the point of threatening some co workers. Or what could be considered from a pastie game designer to be. Plus a few break ins. Ended up having to get new locks and hired a security team.

Also - let this be another example why games "journalists" can be the scum of the earth. The same people telling you what to play essentially promote trespassing and theft to make a story. While they can say it sucks, they're still spreading the info to millions and sharing it. Shame on the guy for doing it, he's an asshole, and shame on "them" for turning it into a story for people beyond a Reddit subforum - benefiting from a shitty situation.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    An animation classmate and I walked miles to locate EA Sports headquarters somewher in Burnaby (a Vancouver suburb) long time ago to hand in our vhs demo reels (this was before phone gps and cheap websites). It was out of the way from local bus routes so we had to cross no-mans land traffic lanes and grassy hills.

Anybody could just walk in through the front doors of the tall building but if I'm recalling correctly their lobby was on an upper floor so we had to take an elevator.

The reception area was dark and foreboding. Lots of dark walls. No product shit on display. We were tired from the long hike so we just left after handing over our tapes.

We never heard back.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Hyperloop wrote: »
    I just watched a defcon video where some penetration tester when through just how easily he can walk into places and get info from them. It's hard to have a mindset of security when you work somewhere that doesn't seem like it should require that, but I guess people will take advantage of that sadly.

I've watched that video too and it was the first thing that came to my mind. Here's the video in question for anyone interested. The relevant part starts at around 20 minutes in.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CWrzVJYLWw[/ame]

Sadly, I don't think there is a good way to stop this from happening. If someone you don't recognize walks up to you during your break and starts chatting, people usually assume that they must have legitimate business to be there. No one wants to be a dick asking people for their badges/ID's. From my own experience smoking areas are the least secure.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    you guys neeed toons of security measures

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6nXCpPEdiI[/ame]

ok srsly really sad to hear some individual would go that far , the more they do that the more game employee will need to have security measure and restriction wich is suck :(
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    It's like ripping open someone else's xmas presents and telling them what they're getting.
    And he did it all for the upvotes on reddit.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I must say DE probably had one of the best responses possible. It's weird that people treat game studios like celebrities, bands, or athletes. They become extreme fans to the point of stalking and wanting to know every little possible detail as soon as it happens.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, that guy is a douche, but there's no need to get butthurt. It's kind of a weird compliment to DE honestly.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    dunno in games, but in vfx shop could lose contract with the movie studio/ip owner because of that.it definitely not compliment.
    but again probably in movie revealing story/footage is super big deal.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Just casually blend in. No one will notice.

Rh7q1mM.gif
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Epic had grown to the point where if someone was outside and wanted in, it was next to impossible to know if they were actually an employee or not. At a certain point, you're fucked.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Worked at DE for three years, and the only thing i can take away from this is that the trespasser had an awesome lunch cause the Chefs over at DE make some amazing food.

They do have finger print scanners to get in but its hard to keep track of all the employees, no one wants to slam the door on someone they might work with.

plus were Canadian so we have to be polite and hold the door open :P
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish fans would use their heads tho ... Like, if DE was working on some top secret IP thing in conjunction with Apple or someone like that, this would have blown the deal. That has serious consequences for people's jobs.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I wish fans would use their heads tho ... Like, if DE was working on some top secret IP thing in conjunction with Apple or someone like that, this would have blown the deal. That has serious consequences for people's jobs.

Yeah if this happened when we were still working with 343 on Halo 4 stuff this sort of thing could have put that project/contract in jeopardy.

luckily it seems DE is doing really well with Warframe and don't need to worry about anything like that happening.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I sauntered into your studio this morning. I've facial hair and a plaid shirt. I COULD BE ANYONE.
  • DanglinBob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont think it is fair - whomever said it - to call this person a journalist. I really don't think journalists are the "scum of the earth" - except tabloid journalists (who aren't really journalists at all). The lack of professional journalism and the RESPECT of good journalistic writing is why the game industry is stuck with youtube casters as the primary informational gatekeepers.

Not saying that IGN or Gamespot were professional either, just that their failure to raise the bar and our failure to demand it has put us in a very poor position as an industry for unbias information.

Has little to do with this a-hole though. This guy is lucky the studio isnt't going after him for corporate espionage... a case I suspect they could win if they found him.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    isn't this guy guilty of at least trespass and maybe revealing industrial secrets is a crime, not sure
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    LRoy wrote: »
    Just casually blend in. No one will notice.

Rh7q1mM.gif

I think just about every show has a joke about this in some form. There's even entire movies about it.

If this isn't common already it's not going to be any time soon imo. But in my experience it is very possible even by accident.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Epic had grown to the point where if someone was outside and wanted in, it was next to impossible to know if they were actually an employee or not. At a certain point, you're fucked.

Yeah seriously, I'm pretty sure this could happen at most big studios. Once you get used to seeing unfamiliar faces ... its almost inevitable in some ways...
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    low odor wrote: »
    This is why you develop a Secret Studio Handshake...it's more fun than badges

What? the masonic handshake with a sacrificial chicken and a Rabbi to perform the ceremony? Sorry, that's an attempt at a Red Dwarf quote, apologies.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    When we first got our temp offices at Molten, in San Diego, I had a guy follow me into the public bathroom. He walked right up next to me at a bank of empty urinals and pretended to pee, just so he could ask where our office was exactly, if we were hiring and who to talk to. He was wearing a cheap suit, with a copy of his resume in his hands, clearly ready for a urine scented interview.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    He walked right up next to me at a bank of empty urinals and pretended to pee, just so he could ask where our office was exactly

I have a strict eyes forward do not disturb policy myself. I hope he at least washed his hands before taking out the resume.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, that guy is a douche, but there's no need to get butthurt. It's kind of a weird compliment to DE honestly.
    He didn't get much, but leaking unannounced game information is a pretty big deal, on top of the trespass and (minor) theft. It could easily have been a lot worse. I'm not sure that presenting their response in such a mild fashion was the best course of action. This sort of thing needs to be strongly dissuaded.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's kind of a weird compliment to DE honestly.
    It's more an indication that DE was the closest game developer to his house. It's trespassing, it's not a compliment.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's seriously messed up, and I hope it doesn't do anything to the work culture. We had something similar happen when I was at Humongous. After that upper management became pretty paranoid and had everyone eyeballing everyone else for months.
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Haven't been there for very long, but at Bethesda they tell us to close the door if you don't recognize the person behind you. Kinda shitty but definitely more safe - apparently there's been some incidents like that over here too.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He didn't get much, but leaking unannounced game information is a pretty big deal, on top of the trespass and (minor) theft. It could easily have been a lot worse. I'm not sure that presenting their response in such a mild fashion was the best course of action. This sort of thing needs to be strongly dissuaded.
    It's more an indication that DE was the closest game developer to his house. It's trespassing, it's not a compliment.

I'm not suggesting we should encourage this type of behavior... All I'm saying is let's keep things in perspective here. We work in a industry where we make cool stuff, and fans (weirdos and normal people alike) want to know about said cool stuff. This is not something we should get all worked up about. He could have walked in and shot up the place... that would be something that actually warrants "hating people more today."

Should we all take a second look at our security measures? Sure. But let's keep the drama to a minimum, people.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    See, and I don't think you're taking this seriously enough. It's a real problem. If he had revealed something that was sensitive, he could have screwed DE big time. That's real people with their jobs in peril.

Fan or not, that's SUPER uncool.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol. I do agree with you; it is a real problem. I just won't be shedding any tears over it. :poly142:
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Man there's a few ways that wasn't okay.

You'd think at some point his common sense would have told him that there should be some separation between liking a dev's work and physically intruding on their personal and professional space.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    See, and I don't think you're taking this seriously enough. It's a real problem. If he had revealed something that was sensitive, he could have screwed DE big time. That's real people with their jobs in peril.

Fan or not, that's SUPER uncool.

So get some security then, what's the issue? They guy didn't break in and steal information, he was let in by the people that work there and the people that work there told him stuff. Be happy he didn't steal anything, because it sounds like he could've taken anything and just walked away.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So it's DE's fault. OK, thanks.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    HitmonInfinity: you have made two assumptions, that I'm butthurt and shedding tears.

I think a shooting would make me hate people a bit more than a little, if you have an axe to grind with me starting this thread go for it....I know where the butthurt and tears are coming from :D

As mentioned by several people above, if DE were a third party this could cause lawsuits and damage their potential for further work...yeah real complimentary.

Edit* and just like that I'm reminded why I never start threads in GD :D
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    So it's DE's fault. OK, thanks.

Partly yes.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By this logic, if a store doesn't have a security guard on staff and I shoplift from them, the store is partly at fault? You're blaming the victim. I shouldn't be stealing shit, THAT'S the real issue. Whether the store makes it easy for me or not is irrelevant.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Seth. For what it's worth, I wasn't trying to single you out; lots of people are having the same response as you. Please don't censor yourself because of my comments. You're more than welcome to express yourself any way you see fit. When I see fire, I want to put it out. Polycount or elsewhere. :)