Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio website re-design feedback!

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
JobyeK polycounter lvl 13
So, decided to finally ditch carbonmade and make my own site + update my portfolio. Did a mockup of the site design a couple of weeks ago and will probably integrate the last round of feedback in it tonight, then get started with actually building it in Dreamweaver. What better last round of feedback to get than Polycount's!

Some notes on it:
- Apart from the Env Artist title, anything that's highlighted blue or in color is meant to show it's hoverable/clickable
- As per Adam's feedback, I'll be merging Professional Art and Personal Art into the same page
- Meant to be totally scrollable, minimizing clicking

Shoot away with the feedback :)! What you'd add, change, cut, etc. Anything!

6ejFqLA.jpg

Replies

• Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    The top feels real jammed together. I'm all about simple sites. The header stuff seems like you could simplify it. Really if you don't need it then why is it there?

The work samples are sick btw bro!
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Mmh, you gotta stay consistent. If you go with cubic forms, then make your triangles and icons sharp aswell

6ej_Fq_LA.png
    (gotta use your own fonts tho, didnt know which one you were using)
    A calligraphy breaks that whole thing very well and is often used as logo replacement, getting a real logo would be best. My fonts are not the best choices in the example, this can work a lot better.

Make your top bar over the whole horizontal direction
    Everything is so intense, its really harsh , maybe use some lighter versions of the fonts for some things
    id highlight CV because its not so obvious. The mail will be found easily, CV is more hard to come in mind.
    Make the background slightly lighter, so its a very dark grey , not a pure black, always check your alignment (the blue bar fixed your obvious error there)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I dunno about using more than 1-2 fonts on a single site. It ends up reading like one of those randsom message.

RansomColourWood.jpg?1336252574

I stay keep it simple. Make the focus on the work not awesome web design. Unless you're applying to run the company website.
  • alvordr
    Offline / Send Message
    alvordr polycounter lvl 6
    I created my own, so that I could get more control with my portfolio...and while I have a ton of experience in web design and coding, it's difficult to look at it with fresh enough eyes to see what needs to be kept, lost or changed. In your case, I suggest keeping it simple (no more than 3 colors, using kuler.adobe.com...and no more than 2 fonts).

I suggest pulling elements close together that categorically match and pushing others to links. I would get rid of the || and just make them |, but that's just my preference. You also have a lot of blank space on the right. What's your plan for that area?
  • alvordr
    Offline / Send Message
    alvordr polycounter lvl 6
    I would also make your artwork be the center piece and not so much the site. That's what I'm struggling with now on mine and will be making big changes soon.
  • JobyeK
    Offline / Send Message
    JobyeK polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the feedback so far! I'll try playing around with the header and see if I can uncrowd it a bit, maybe by shortening the spacing of the letters and such and giving it a bit more breathing room and playing around with fonts a bit more. Definitely will only be using 1 or 2 fonts tops.

@alvordr: I'd say my site's focus is pretty much on the artwork, no? Think it'll be more evident once there's actual images on there :P. As for the dead space by the shipped titles, well that'll get filled out as I work on more games heh!
  • Mistry10
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    Jobye,
    you don't need any "bars" single or double.
    you don't need the "down arrows"
    you don't need the red highlight on the email button.

you just need great art.

remove all the extra elements so that it gets out of the way of the great art.