Replies

• vikk0
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    I really dig that turtle look! GJ! :)
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks guys! I feel you MDK I did have many a personal debate about this myself, but in the end I always ended with "but Iron Man Turtle", but I do feel it may be worth to revisit the idea and recolor some of the panels to break it up
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    xfkbmV5.jpg

Progress on the AM sculpt.

Not sure if I'm gonna scratch and weather this one. I like that it has a nice clean look. Clean is in keeping with the original "Dota 2" style imo, which some of workshop highlights I've been seeing these few months certainly don't do.

Details are definitely crowd-pleasers though. I'll decide after the other parts (shoulder and bracer) are done.The sculpted shapes don't seem to look that interesting on their own, so it's a bit of a dilemma.

@Kite212 - I definitely think that the model needs more breaking up. Not only in terms of colours, but in how the armour is layered as well. The layers feel very uniform and the lack of variety makes them look a little uninteresting to me.
  • Channfree
    Has anyone ran through this issue in importing before?
    http://i.imgur.com/23B3wHh.png

Wanna help me out with it?

I am using Maya to export into FBX then into dota 2

Pweeeze
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Chanfree, Valve doesn't like it when you put 'sex' in compile names.

Cereally though,
    You have some verts that are unskinned as it says.
  • Aris Atherton
    Hey guys, where can I find examples of spell effects? I want to create custom spell effects for a set, and I don't really know where to start. Also, can death animations have effects? Thanks.
  • KatArt
    Offline / Send Message
    KatArt polycounter lvl 5
    @Channfree THe fastest way to test rough model courier (or ward) is to bind it to ONLY 1 Joint ( and write it's name in all three helper root locations).
    Maybe you exporting mesh not binded to anything , or exporting joint chain to the Mesh slot or something like that , because FBX should work ok( try it with 1 join(bone)) and that will work with complex hierarchy the same way.

FBX is the simpliest way to test courier , if you dont want to make any particles or special jiggle bones , special diffirent timing for your animations , but i think that's not necessary at all.
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    Konras wrote: »
    @katzeimsack I really like how this Tiny turned out!
    However I don't like design of his tree. Default pair tree+tiny made nice contrast and were from different material. That was really interesting for me. Same thing goes for TI4 immortal tree. Your tree is made from same rocks as Tiny and that is not as interesting in my opinion as a pair.

Maybe there could some molten lava on this rock tree that because of its darker material would contrast nicely with light body of tiny? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/82/Pahoehoe_toe.jpg

Sorry for this criticism. I know that set is already finished and uploaded so its to late for changes.

Updated the tree :) (and actually made it public in the workshop)
    Thanks again for the feedback :)

tree.jpg
  • Malloy
    Offline / Send Message
    Malloy polycounter lvl 6
    I think it looks cool as heck, I just don't like the fact its made out of rocks. The emphasis on the lava like glow creates a nice contrast though. It's got my vote!
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    katzeimsack : I agree with Malloy , but it looks cool anyway . I would have gone for a piece of the dire ancient or someting less "tree ish"

MrNobody109 : looks great , I'm sure it will get in

Hey guys , check out my courier I just finished :)

Xzv8ta0.jpg
    workshop link:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=332247045

ty
  • Artypi
    Offline / Send Message
    Artypi polycounter lvl 5
    Snowstorm wrote: »
    xfkbmV5.jpg

Progress on the AM sculpt.

Not sure if I'm gonna scratch and weather this one. I like that it has a nice clean look. Clean is in keeping with the original "Dota 2" style imo, which some of workshop highlights I've been seeing these few months certainly don't do.

Details are definitely crowd-pleasers though. I'll decide after the other parts (shoulder and bracer) are done.The sculpted shapes don't seem to look that interesting on their own, so it's a bit of a dilemma.

I absolutely love the level of detail in the sculpt right now. The layering of the different materials is really interesting, wouldn't say you'd need to overdo it too much.
  • Channfree
    KatArt wrote: »
    @Channfree THe fastest way to test rough model courier (or ward) is to bind it to ONLY 1 Joint ( and write it's name in all three helper root locations).
    Maybe you exporting mesh not binded to anything , or exporting joint chain to the Mesh slot or something like that , because FBX should work ok( try it with 1 join(bone)) and that will work with complex hierarchy the same way.

FBX is the simpliest way to test courier , if you dont want to make any particles or special jiggle bones , special diffirent timing for your animations , but i think that's not necessary at all.

So essentially bind the entire model to the root joint?
    What if your testing a fully rigged and binded courier model with animation, what do you do then?
  • KatArt
    Offline / Send Message
    KatArt polycounter lvl 5
    @CHannfree binding to the root joint is ONLY to test /Static\ mesh in early stages of creation.

1)Export your mesh:
    Chosse mesh >Export selected> then you can turn Animation off (in Export options menu, everything else default) or Bake Animation only for 1 frame (start 1 - End 1 for example), your bind pose. ( I test it with bake , because i have wierd errors without it, because of lots of parenting and add. attributes in scene.

2)Export your animation:
    You need to export animations in FBX , with Bake Animation option On. And deformed models off(just for lower file size). Baking is because you have control curves that move joints ( Maya bakes parent-relations between any joint hierarchies and controls (that move them)in scene to a new file , where your joints will have keys on each frame. And that is easly readable by game importer.

That is only how i do it, and that works fine)
  • Channfree
    @KatArt

Still getting the same issues when I do the test thing, I bound everything to one bone and it still pops up the same, this should be impossible!!!!!

I am stuck here, hmmmmm...

Nevermind it worked.... hmmm must be something with everything rigged together
  • blossomalex
    New set finisheeeed :) Come to Axe!!!
    41smZ72.jpg?1
  • Kraken
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraken interpolator
    mihalceanu arrr i had that idea also)))good job!
    Here is my WIP, i'm making texture for bounty hunter courier currently:
    YEFyhUo.png
    V356plN.png
  • Pastat7
  • Art
  • Josef R
    Offline / Send Message
    Josef R polycounter lvl 5
    Just a lil' somethin' for Magnus

B5F05BC55CCFD9AAEBC720EC7DFFB5459FB0C1F0
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    41363C04A15A6783C99534D54CC2D3259DF3D92F

tablet stylus is missing again. the joys of children....sheesh.
  • Toasty
  • jnumber9
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Working on colours. Looking for feedback. I wanna lighten the hair more. Make the ribbons red. I dunno how far I can push it.

Wip%2BCOlours.PNG
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    The hair/fur look desaturated compared to the rest, imo.
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah I agree with Vayne on this, although I believe this might be because of the strands of grey, try to reduce those a bit and I think it'll look way better.
  • Toasty
    The base colour on her legs is quite saturated, I'd say you can push the red ribbons as far as this no probs. Taking some of the white from the base body on the hair tips could also give them quite the kicker and help frame the face. You could even use the white to do "streaks" twisting down the plaited hair.

-Toasty
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Sweet thanks guys! I'll try those tips!
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    @Anuxi: Indeed what the others allready said, I think a bit more saturation will do a lot. Looks great as always though. So yalous on your fur modeling :p

I've did some work on a Tidehunter item. This will probably be my first item with some particles. Really exited for that. Let me know what u guys think. What i did notice that tidehunter items got a lot more realistic textures than other heroes, so I also made it a bit more realistic than I would normally do.

Still thinking about making this into a small set, but not sure yet.

hdyah9j.gif
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Kraken: first hehe , love the mini bh courier:)
    blossomalex: nice helm:)
    Anuxi : I would make the furr from the dress in a pinkish collor like the end of the spear, looks lovely as usual , are you gonna make a furry themred chest:D?
    Finished a tidehunter set , drop a like if u wish

XGs7oXs.jpg
    workshop link:http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=333729167
  • vikk0
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    Kraken, Mihalceanu, Anuxi, thats freaking awesome!

Hey guys, it's been a long I started this piece, but I finally managed to finish it! I've learned a lot working with this mount, and I really have to say a BIG thanks for all the AMAZING help from Onilolz and Zaphk, the AWESOME documents by Pior and Vlad, and for the mental enlightenment from Horse Strangler (which made the particles come to life), and Akaime, for constant feedback. :D

And hell yeah, I love foxes :)

So, drop a like if you wish!
    E712D42D981A073F2E8559A9EA3283A599EE7CC9

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=333751563
  • agito666
    vikk0 wrote: »
    Kraken, Mihalceanu, Anuxi, thats freaking awesome!

Hey guys, it's been a long I started this piece, but I finally managed to finish it! I've learned a lot working with this mount, and I really have to say a BIG thanks for all the AMAZING help from Onilolz and Zaphk, the AWESOME documents by Pior and Vlad, and for the mental enlightenment from Horse Strangler (which made the particles come to life), and Akaime, for constant feedback. :D

And hell yeah, I love foxes :)

So, drop a like if you wish!
    E712D42D981A073F2E8559A9EA3283A599EE7CC9

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=333751563

if this mount got in game and i got that, i gonna rename that as Ahri.:poly124:
    or Peacock Fox Horse
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Fear and mist is upon this land. Mist that is green and has sharp teeth. As always many polycount sets in upcoming chest :)https://twitter.com/Cyborgmatt/status/527945576999297025
  • AndrewHelenek
  • cottonwings
    Congrats to anyone with their hero sets in! A lot of amazing designs there, good job. I'm a lil concern on what happened to Kanyu the Land Shark, any idea what it means when they remove the portrait entry?
  • Zalakzik
    Congrats to anyone with their hero sets in! A lot of amazing designs there, good job. I'm a lil concern on what happened to Kanyu the Land Shark, any idea what it means when they remove the portrait entry?
    Its done obviously, no land shark, im pretty sure that all sets who had even inventory icons few weeks ago like my tusk, terror set (surprised that it didnt make in the patch), wr set, void etc from august-sept content analyses are gone forever
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Looks to me like single items are going the way of the dodo.

If the drops are all sets now and the chests are all sets now it'll be hard for them to release a single item chest that can be perceived as being just as worthwhile as a set chest imo. The single items would need to be pretty premium quality or have special effects like the immortal stuff and be at a fraction of the price of the set chests at that.

Wonder if there is any monetisation for items that are in the drop system only? Perhaps a single item chest could drop through the drop system, but if there is no monetisation it wouldn't be too worthwhile to continue making single items vs sets.
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Other thing worth mentioning is that new sets from chest will be marketable after February. Maybe that seems cruel but in my opinion that is a good direction. It was for sure lowering revenue from chests because most people would just go to market and buy sets at 50% first day :)
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Konras wrote: »
    Other thing worth mentioning is that new sets from chest will be marketable after February. Maybe that seems cruel but in my opinion that is a good direction. It was for sure lowering revenue from chests because most people would just go to market and buy sets at 50% first day :)

While as a contributor I like that this may possibly increase chest sales, as a consumer I really dislike this. Before this update, I would usually just buy a couple of chests, and if I didn't get what I wanted I would just grab it off the market, but now, Valve forces me to keep buying chests until I get the item I want by luck, and that doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth. At least the majority of the items on this recent chest are quite good, but right now after buying 4 chests I still don't have what I want, and playing lottery is not something I personally enjoy, specially when there's a high chance that I'm going to get something that I don't like and/or for a hero that I don't play and I just can't do anything besides leaving it to rot in my inventory.

I also think that 3 months is quite a long time, I'd like to see that reduced to 1 or 2 months at a maximum. By that time, everyone will just forget whatever they were looking for.
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Snowstorm wrote: »
    Looks to me like single items are going the way of the dodo.

If the drops are all sets now and the chests are all sets now it'll be hard for them to release a single item chest that can be perceived as being just as worthwhile as a set chest imo. The single items would need to be pretty premium quality or have special effects like the immortal stuff and be at a fraction of the price of the set chests at that.

Wonder if there is any monetisation for items that are in the drop system only? Perhaps a single item chest could drop through the drop system, but if there is no monetisation it wouldn't be too worthwhile to continue making single items vs sets.

Well I guess this will be worthless
    8jy37Jl.jpg

Well anyways. To make singles valuable, they have to market it more than sets. It'll make those singles worth more than the sets. However those singles must not only be in premium quality but it also needs particle effects, which would be difficult to pull off.

As for monetization for the drop system, they can't really do anything about that. Maybe if there was some sort of way that customers who really like an item can "donate" through steam.
  • MagnoHusein
    Organizations are ruining the workshop purpose. It's a total disrespect to other artists having a group of people breaking the workshop rules. Now they don't even need to go on public vote, just because they got a youtube channel.

"No one in the workshop has privileges". yeah yeah, sure sure.
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Organizations are ruining the workshop purpose. It's a total disrespect to other artists having a group of people breaking the workshop rules. Now they don't even need to go on public vote, just because they got a youtube channel.

I bet if a pro player endorses my item itll skyrocket my item (its not doing too well in the workshop)
  • bounchfx

yeah.. they can break their own rules whenever, as they've shown plenty of times. It is frustrating. We've been told time and time again that everything HAS to be on the workshop and voted on. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Lol, okay... sure. Unless you are buddy buddy I guess. It's kinda uncool. Great if you work with DC, dogshit if you're anyone else.

but who knows, maybe this is a start of them doing this more often for a lot of leagues? I'm not really sure. It really depends if they keep this up or if the privilege stays exclusive to them... to early to tell but confusing nonetheless.
  • Hunter-Killer
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter-Killer polycounter lvl 4
    Little shameless plug, finished this cannon ward with Hudston and Drew Carrymore, let us know what you think. Thanks!

Unstable Cannon Ward

268x268.resizedimage
  • sajedene
    bounchfx wrote: »
    yeah.. they can break their own rules whenever, as they've shown plenty of times. It is frustrating. We've been told time and time again that everything HAS to be on the workshop and voted on. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Lol, okay... sure. Unless you are buddy buddy I guess. It's kinda uncool. Great if you work with DC, dogshit if you're anyone else.

but who knows, maybe this is a start of them doing this more often for a lot of leagues? I'm not really sure. It really depends if they keep this up or if the privilege stays exclusive to them... to early to tell but confusing nonetheless.

:(

Really don't understand why there is so much negativity towards us, or the assumption that Valve is under our control in what we do. A year before even entering the workshop, we created a show advertising workshop artists for free - and we still do that to this day. We've always been pro-artist and have been very happy that so many more artists are getting included in chests - and I think you are all going to be very happy with upcoming changes to the workshop as well.

There is no reason that organizations and singular artists can't co-exist.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    sajedene wrote: »

Really don't understand why there is so much negativity towards us, or the assumption that Valve is under our control in what we do. A year before even entering the workshop, we created a show advertising workshop artists for free - and we still do that to this day. We've always been pro-artist and have been very happy that so many more artists are getting included in chests - and I think you are all going to be very happy with upcoming changes to the workshop as well.

So having an exception on item submissions having to go through the workshop is okay? While everyone else needs a public workshop submission just so they can get something ingame, DC gets a free pass because they have a popular YouTube channel or something. Don't even get me started on the quality of said items.

I don't see how 'advertising workshop artists for free' is relevant at all (specially since it has nearly no influence on actual traffic). It seems like you're trying to come up with an excuse on why DC items don't need community approval like every other tournament item.

I'm interested on those 'upcoming changes to the workshop', since apparently no one has been informed of anything of the sort as far as I know. Are we back to secret emailing lists?

Organizations and single artists coexisting isn't an issue, the issue is when a few select organizations get priority and are able to ignore rules that everyone else has to abide to, just because they happen to be popular, even when some of their submissions aren't up to par with what I'd expect from an organization that has said privileges.
  • bounchfx

Really don't understand why there is so much negativity towards us,

to be clear, I'm not upset at you guys at all. You're doing exactly what you should be doing. The only negativity here is towards Valve's blatant double standards, and the fact that the actual workshop artists always seem to be the last to hear about anything workshop related. When I have to hear 99% of updates through a third party or dota celeb it's hard not to feel mildly confused and incredibly left out... and we're the ones making the items! I hope this makes sense.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6

I don't think anyone has aimed that negativity toward DC in any way in reguards to this. Our anger is aimed toward valve for their lack of consistency. Having worked on both Summits and both ESLs this year alone, we have been told by valve directly where they state that all items that are bundled with tickets need to be submitted publicly on the workshop to be voted on. We've also had them tell us that we were not aloud to say these items were to be bundled with the ticket before they have been approved. And even in the league guide by valve themselves they state that;

U0vtgp7.jpg
    You can read all about it here.

But then, we find that both the Mirana mount and the Juggernaut set were not on the workshop publicly. I have to imagine they were submitted privately and are currently marked hidden. With that being said, I repeat, our anger is aimed at the inconsistancy presented at valve. This isn't about you.
    "I think you are all going to be very happy with upcoming changes to the workshop as well."

And finally, I'm sure I'm going to be happy, but why is this information known by organizations before the artist creating the actual content themselves? Why don't we know? And if you know why aren't you sharing this information with us? At the end of the day, and most of this I'm repeating, I'm not mad at Dota Cinema, I never really have been, but what I am annoyed at is the blatant lack of communication and consistency presented by valve, again.
  • sajedene
    Again, I have to stress - we're really in the same boat as you guys. We do what we are told and go with what needs to be done.

As for the latter, I never said anything about hearing that information from Valve. Again, same boat as all of you - heard it from other workshop people. In any industry, networking is important. Instead of destroying bridges, let's build them with trust instead of assumptions.
  • Hudston
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    And finally, I'm sure I'm going to be happy, but why is this information known by organizations before the artist creating the actual content themselves? Why don't we know? And if you know why aren't you sharing this information with us? At the end of the day, and most of this I'm repeating, I'm not mad at Dota Cinema, I never really have been, but what I am annoyed at is the blatant lack of communication and consistency presented by valve, again.

This is where my mind is at too. I have zero qualms with DC, in fact I'm a big fan and appreciate all you do for the community (and I always get a kick out of seeing my items featured on your channel!), it's just that you've ended up being an example of this unfair practice, intentionally or otherwise, and it's being used to highlight the issues that we have with the way the workshop seems to be run right now.

It's not a good trend. As of my last item being accepted I've made the jump to the workshop being my sole income, as I'm sure it is for many others here, and it's very uncomfortable to be kept in the dark. Valve isn't good at communication, we knew that going in, but if they're communicating with anyone it should be us.

EDIT: Missed this when I was typing my response:
    Again, I have to stress - we're really in the same boat as you guys. We do what we are told and go with what needs to be done.

As for the latter, I never said anything about hearing that information from Valve. Again, same boat as all of you - heard it from other workshop people. In any industry, networking is important. Instead of destroying bridges, let's build them with trust instead of assumptions.

Totally, 100% in agreement. The workshop is one of the most positive things that I have ever encountered in this industry or otherwise, so lets try to keep it that way.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    That's Valve for you.

Look at TF2 as example.

When they started accepting submissions it was under VERY strict guidelines.

But then:

Promos. Max head and Earbuds. They broke the rules to cross promo games/platforms and the rules have been wishy washy ever since.

We'll never be able to out guess or even know what they are thinking half the time. Just gotta roll with it. Try to stick to their boundries and if you have something so cool they might break the rules go for it and see what happens.