Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter - Master Thread

Replies

• Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Using the metalness PBR template when you create a new substance should put you on the right track.

Each output node has a Usage tag in its properties that will tell Substance Painter how to use them.
  • downarmy
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    i ad one lonely output not connected that was breaking my substance it is fixed now and working as it should

thanks Jerc

love SD never going back to other software!
  • sebdeguy
    Offline / Send Message
    sebdeguy polycounter lvl 3
    Guys,

Just a few hours before we officially launch Substance Painter 1.0, so in the meantime, I just wanted to share this little teaser, made by our dear friends at RumbleBox Studios: http://youtu.be/enP0dLh4tzY

Hope you like it!
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    few hours = 22 hours xD
    Joking aside, really looking forward to this release :)
    Have been using the beta a lot lately, hope there is some new cool stuff!
  • motionblur
    Offline / Send Message
    motionblur polycounter lvl 11
    Crosspost from the "What are you working on" thread:
    screenshot003.jpg

I love Substance Painter. Really looking forward to future updates. :)
  • Avvi
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi polycounter lvl 3
    Can a top layer override height, instead of adding to the height of the layers below?
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Avvi wrote: »
    Can a top layer override height, instead of adding to the height of the layers below?
    Yep, just change its blending mode ! :)
    By default the blending mode for the height channel is linear dodge (ldge), just use "Replace" instead.

1413494129-layer_blend_mode.gif
  • Avvi
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi polycounter lvl 3
    Froyok wrote: »
    By default the blending mode for the height channel is linear dodge (ldge), just use "Replace" instead.

! :O
    Seen these modes, but I didn't know they're different for each map. Thanks :)
    Now I can finally make proper bright spots on the moss
    nTHDlq1.jpg
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Froyok wrote: »

1413494129-layer_blend_mode.gif

You should actually probably use the Normal blending mode instead as Replace will replace the height on the whole texture and not only where you painted.
  • Artic
    Offline / Send Message
    Artic polycounter lvl 7
    I have tried a trial version and I liked it. Painting with materials is much more intuitive and logical than dealing with separated maps.
    XPvCHjm.png

I have a question. There is a shader with a specular map?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Artic wrote: »
    I have a question. There is a shader with a specular map?

Not yet, we are working on one for the next update but I'm sure someone else will come up with a custom one before that as the shader system is pretty open and documented.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Well actually I was bored and made one :)
    You can grab the PBR Spec/Gloss shader HERE.

Don't forget to change the Channels in the document settings, delete the roughn ess and metallic channels and replace them with specular and glossiness. Also make sure the specular channel is set to sRGB8.
  • Artic
    Offline / Send Message
    Artic polycounter lvl 7
    Jerc wrote: »

Wow, thanks man. But I think there is some problems with interpreting base color. When it's not white, material becomes extremely contrasty.
    3TbI9uQ.png

Also I have noticed that normal maps baked in xnormal works not properly. You can see a diagonal line on the screenshot of rifle above. Оption with different tangent spaces would be useful.
    nXOHHs1.png

Update:
    Looks like Painter not properly imports normals/tangents from OBJ. This problem was solved by converting to FBX. You can download model with normal map. There is OBJ and FBX generated from it (not exported from original model). Despite this, minor distortions from incompatible tangent space are left. Using Handplane I converted normal map to Maya's TS and it looks fine. Anyway option for this would be useful.
  • tungerz
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon

Don't forget to change the Channels in the document settings, delete the roughn ess and metallic channels and replace them with specular and glossiness. Also make sure the specular channel is set to sRGB8.

Creative boredom at it's finest :poly142:
    Is the shader to be added to....
    Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Painter\resources\shelf\allegorithmic\shaders ?

Cheers,
    ~Tung
  • Artic
    Offline / Send Message
    Artic polycounter lvl 7
    tungerz wrote: »
    Is the shader to be added to....
    Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Painter\resources\shelf\allegorithmic\shaders ?

To Documents\Substance Painter\shelf\shaders
  • tungerz
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    To Documents\Substance Painter\shelf\shaders

ahhh, thanks :)
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    I just updated the shader, the behavior was wrong with high specular. LINK
  • Goobatastic
    Offline / Send Message
    Goobatastic polycounter lvl 8
    In Painter is there away of changing the axis in the scene. For example at work we work with Z as the up axis. |Because at the moment everything i bring into painter is on its side making it difficult to the particle brushes etc. Cheers
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Handling a whole new up axis is not an easy task and would require a lot of changes in our engine, I doubt we would support a change like that.

Are you exporting in the obj format ? You could rotate the mesh by yourself before exporting (even scripting it). Also, If you use the FBX file format instead it should handle the axis conversion automatically.
  • Artic
    Offline / Send Message
    Artic polycounter lvl 7

Thanks! To be a perfect and truly PBR it needs energy conservation.
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Decided to do an overview of height blending inside substance designer. This is not really a wow artsy tutorial or overview it is a bit on the boring side I know :) Also first attempt at a video in a while so a bit rocky. It does go through the quick process of how I made that mud texture towards the end.
    [vv]109411766[/vv]
    10649719_10201819906019241_918779577040342846_n.jpg?oh=0a14a53271f28c51f7c7e94c69174961&oe=54AA6C64
  • Fwap
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    blazed wrote: »
    Just want to say I LOVE substance painter!

2) being able to control overlay images in a layer (move, rotate, scale, tile, etc)

+1
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    rogelio wrote: »
    It does go through the quick process of how I made that mud texture towards the end.

thanks! we need more tutorials like that one.
  • Uzziel
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks! To be a perfect and truly PBR it needs energy conservation.

Hi Artic, here is the shader with the diffuse shading energy conservation modification.

Substance Painter Specular/Glossiness shader last WIP version:
    LINK
    Remember this is a WIP version, the results can change compared to a future version embedded in Substance Painter.

8H5AzRz.jpg
  • AshuraDX
    Offline / Send Message
    AshuraDX triangle
    Been toying around with substance painter and most of the things I'm missing so far to let it replace Photoshop for me have been mentioned sofar except one thing (or atleast I didn't find it until now) :

Please, gives us options for our cursor appeareance I'd prefer a crosshair cursor without the 100% opague preview of my alpha blocking my view on the spot I want to paint

Keep up the great work !
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    AshuraDX wrote: »
    Been toying around with substance painter and most of the things I'm missing so far to let it replace Photoshop for me have been mentioned sofar except one thing (or atleast I didn't find it until now) :

Please, gives us options for our cursor appeareance I'd prefer a crosshair cursor without the 100% opague preview of my alpha blocking my view on the spot I want to paint

Keep up the great work !

Good point! I'll add it to the backlog.
  • MDiamond
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    Decided to do an overview of height blending inside substance designer. This is not really a wow artsy tutorial or overview it is a bit on the boring side I know :) Also first attempt at a video in a while so a bit rocky. It does go through the quick process of how I made that mud texture towards the end.

Oh god, I was reading through the SD Master thread and was considering asking you to share the Substance of that texture because it looked so good, and then I'm treated with this, thanks!
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Having fun with custom shaders :)
    F6mnhl7.png
  • Artic
    Offline / Send Message
    Artic polycounter lvl 7
    Uzziel wrote: »
    Substance Painter Specular/Glossiness shader last WIP version:
    LINK

This is exactly how it should be. Thanks.
  • Avvi
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi polycounter lvl 3
    blazed wrote: »
    Just want to say I LOVE substance painter!
    [...]
    a few things that can make this software perfect:

1) being able to draw straight lines with the brushes
    2) being able to control overlay images in a layer (move, rotate, scale, tile, etc)
    3) Keep adding lots of materials and mask generators to match dDo (this will unfortunately make Quixel redundant completely, IMO).
    4) Performance can still be better imo, especially the time it takes to save.
    5) Export SP layers to PSD layers for clients (very important, probably deal breaker for some).

I agree with all of that. It's my texturing tool of choice now :) All those, though, are the things that I missed during the last project.

As for 2) ...Fill layers are great, because I can reload them from disk, so it would be super useful to place decals with them, like signs, texts. For that usage rotation and transform will be necessary..
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    MDiamond wrote: »
    Oh god, I was reading through the SD Master thread and was considering asking you to share the Substance of that texture because it looked so good, and then I'm treated with this, thanks!

Glad it is helpful will make more. Bassically I plan to make a site/blog where ill have tutorials and general environment art information so I can post and also add links to inspiring environment art sites and stuff Kind of level-design.org but for environment art.
  • Ben Milette
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Milette polycounter lvl 9
    Glad it is helpful will make more. Bassically I plan to make a site/blog where ill have tutorials and general environment art information so I can post and also add links to inspiring environment art sites and stuff Kind of level-design.org but for environment art.

I really enjoyed your first video, I think a site or blog would be awesome.
  • arvinmoses
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13

This would be awesome! Also very nice substance on the page before. Are you planning to update your suite of SD nodes? I thought you previously mentioned you had a few more masks you wanted to generate and add. Thank you for those by the way. Very helpful.

EDIT : Wrong thread...
    Having fun with custom shaders :)
    F6mnhl7.png
    Can't wait for this.
  • Yury
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8

Would this shader work for texturing the asset that is going to be rendered using old non PBR diffuse/spec/gloss shading?
    I am working on the project right now that's not going to use PBR, but I would really like to use Substance Painter for texturing
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    same here, I want to use Painter to do some texturing for UE3 and right now there is no way to do it.
  • PLyczkowski
    Offline / Send Message
    PLyczkowski polycounter lvl 14
    Hey, here is a metal material I made to use within Substance Painter (it can be used with Substance Designer too), and wanted to get some feedback. It uses AO and Curvature maps as inputs and affects all channels (base color, roughness, height, metallic):

shot_141026_170243.png?dl=0

If you want to use it in your own model, you can get it here for a small tip - https://gum.co/FGTPQP
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    A new SP update is available.

Main highlights are improved overall painting performance and a link to our brand new Uservoice page where we encourage you to post your feature requests and follow their progress.
  • Avvi
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi polycounter lvl 3
    Great. Added ideas, voted on bakers.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Been playing with it more as of late. Definitely a big step up from what I remember seeing in the previous betas. Ill throw it in here and maybe Jerc or Froyok can shed some light on maybe something im screwing up.

When I import something into the shelf, it shows up in all the tabs and for example this is an image. I put it into "C:\Users\alistair.braz\Documents\Substance Painter\shelf\materials". Is this a bug as of right now? Was just wondering as it should be respecting the folder I put it in (unless Im mistaking this somehow)

EDIT: Looks like this only happens once. On a restart, stays within its folder category. hmmm.
  • PLyczkowski
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a model by Michael Pavlovic textured using the Bare Metal. In just a couple of minutes : )

bare_metal_helmet_zps98c44615.png
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Been playing with it more as of late. Definitely a big step up from what I remember seeing in the previous betas. Ill throw it in here and maybe Jerc or Froyok can shed some light on maybe something im screwing up.

When I import something into the shelf, it shows up in all the tabs and for example this is an image. I put it into "C:\Users\alistair.braz\Documents\Substance Painter\shelf\materials". Is this a bug as of right now? Was just wondering as it should be respecting the folder I put it in (unless Im mistaking this somehow)

EDIT: Looks like this only happens once. On a restart, stays within its folder category. hmmm.

We had some various bugs related to the categories of the shelf, but it should be fixed now, especially with the 1.0.1 that we released yesterday. Let us know if you encounter it gain.

The only "regular" way a bitmap can appear everywhere is when you import it via the File menu, otherwise by drag'n'drop in the shelf it will stays where your put it.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Ah thanks Froyok. Also is there any way to reload a substance material or effect?
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    It depends, for the moment any resource present in the shelf folder (in your user folder) can't be reload. Only the resource that you imported into a project (by drag'n'drop into the shelf window for example) can be reload, substances included.
  • kenn090
    Offline / Send Message
    kenn090 polycounter lvl 8
    A few days ago i watched the tutorial for painting skin for the hans character and thought I would try it out and i got some good results nvNuyEG.jpgPxmDLDQ.jpg
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a model by Michael Pavlovic textured using the Bare Metal. In just a couple of minutes : )

this is beatiful
  • NicolasW
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13

Very Nice!
  • PLyczkowski
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I saw you guys mentioned including the ability to bake out certain kind of maps in the future with Painter, and I also saw you guys messing around with some SSS shaders in a previous post.

What are my hopes that you guys will pull a nice little magic trick from the hat, and make a depth/inverted AO bake for SSS as well being able to paint it on scale of 1-Elephant?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    I saw you guys mentioned including the ability to bake out certain kind of maps in the future with Painter, and I also saw you guys messing around with some SSS shaders in a previous post.

What are my hopes that you guys will pull a nice little magic trick from the hat, and make a depth/inverted AO bake for SSS as well being able to paint it on scale of 1-Elephant?

I'd say giraffe. But seriously, yes, Thickness baker is coming to SD this month and Painter will have his share of baking tools pretty soon :)
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Sweet, I didn't expect you guys to be so close to another milestone!

Remember to send out emails when the update drops, some of us tend to forget :P