Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Another Hard Surface Portfolio

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
maxivz interpolator
Hello guys, i am in the process of making myself a portfolio and seeing KnechtRuprecht about his portfolio made me realize that posting it here is the best way to improove it.
id like to know what i can improove, if i should show less work, if the pictures size is ok, etc:
Regarding model varity i am already working in a t34 tank, do you recomend having a scene or some props in there as well?
Anyways, heres the portfolio link,
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42147973/site/index.html

Replies

• CarlK3D
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    Having the color bleed in when its hovered over is a cool effect. but remove the scaling its not needed and looks kinda bad

Most people don't like lightbox view with there Images. I'd say just make them display in full size

Quality of work looks great. Not sure I'd Post High Poly Models that have no Textures, either Paint them up & Finish them off or consider removing them
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Overall port is not bad, though I agree with the scaling and lightwave. Please ditch both. Lightwave takes for ever normally, and just makes viewing clunky and slow. Look at other ports and see how they go about the posting of bigger close up shots.

As for high poly, I disagree with CarlK3D. There is no need to do extra work to present your HP, other than just a nice render setup. If you want to spend the time doing a mock up texture on the HP, go for it. It will never be used for production aside from being used to bake down. If you are not using it in your workflow, why show it off as if you are, wasted time you could have spent getting rid of that light wave and scaling ;)

As for the work, solid stuff. Would really get some variation in there, like some props, armor pieces, etc. Look at other High Poly Hard Surface artists and go from there. Not bad though, if you showed you could do other work outside just the guns, you could land an entry prop position after a solid art test. Weapon modeling is a VERY VERY competitive position though, so beware. Only the best of the best make a career being that specialized. Not trying to scare you, if you want to push and be that best of the best..... Go for it. No one here is stopping you, I encourage it! Just some advice seeing that side of specialized positions first hand.
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Really like the models, but I have to agree with Add3r, more variety. But that just comes with doing more work, which I'm sure you are doing. And showing high poly is cool, but I kind of agree, its more like a WIP than a finished asset.

But going to have to disagree, the zoom on hover buttons I like (I have the same thing in my portfolio ;) )...maybe the one thing I don't like is the image itself being too zoomed in, I first thought the two guns on the bottom were the same gun.

Also, could be my monitors glare from being actually sunny in Vancouver for once, but the images look a bit dark. But generally, good stuff, gets the point across at what your good at, and what you like, and its not too cluttered and hard to navigate.
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I will be getting rid of waht you mentioned as soon as possible.
    About the variety i want to include some more non-weapon stuff in there, i am thinking about a tank and maybe some props or a small hard surface envio using udk.
    Do you think i should shrink the amount of models i showed?