Home General Discussion

Bad to send 2 apps for similar positions on different teams?

high dynamic range
Offline / Send Message
Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
So I want to send two applicaitons to Blizzard Entertainment for these 2 3D art positions because I think I can be competitive in both pools of recruits.

And my feelings for both in the cover letters are basically the same.

Is it bad if I send them two unqiue applications at the same time? Assumig their concentrated HR team gets their hands on both.

Replies

• RyRyB
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think it's bad at all. Go for it.

Bottom line is you are going through official channels for the application process and it probably happens at companies all the time.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    But the way Blizzard HR talks, when I've seen them talk, their BS-radar is totally on. Which I'm thinking it's REALLY turned on high during the initial sifting.
  • Rune
    Just address and explain it in your application?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't take that risk for an HR team that gets hundreds of applications.

Interning with them back in 2011, they smelled of "we don't have time for silliness."

Trying not to be crassly dismissive. I would definitely like to explain somewhat, just seems it's more likely to be ignored by them.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Seems like a bad idea; I've read that if you get turned down for one position studios generally blacklist you from getting any others with them for a while.
    So unless you get accepted by the first application they happen to go over, you're screwing yourself.
    Mostly though, I think that applies to doing something like applying to HR if you really want to be an artist.
    If you actually don't care which of the two positions you get, then I guess it might not hurt anything.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    They're both 3D art positions, relevant to your field of experience. Why would that be considered silliness? I don't see that as even close to the same as applying to everything from QA to marketing to art to HR just to get your foot in the door.
  • Blizz_kathyz
    Offline / Send Message
    Blizz_kathyz polycounter lvl 7
    Hi JadeEyePanda,

Blizzard Art Recruiter here.

We are completely fine with this! If you were to apply to a legal position and an art position then we might be a tad concerned. Does he want to be a lawyer or an artist? Hmmm. However, if you are applying to art-related roles and you love more than one of our game teams (who doesn't?) then we definitely encourage you to try for more than one opening.

If you'd like to chat some more feel free to email me directly: kzuniga@blizzard.com

Good luck!