Home General Discussion

Xnormal weird displacement map problem

PolyDjent
polycounter lvl 5

Replies

• Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    the result is pretty much what to expect from a triangulated lowpoly that will be brought into shape by tesselation and displacement. did you actually try your map?

i could go into detail why it looks like this, from my work mashine, if you are interested
  • PolyDjent
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyDjent polycounter lvl 5
    Neox wrote: »
    the result is pretty much what to expect from a triangulated lowpoly that will be brought into shape by tesselation and displacement. did you actually try your map?

i could go into detail why it looks like this, from my work mashine, if you are interested

lol. now to think of it, that this is indeed how it should look. haha. Thanks a lot, man. Gonna try this later at home.
  • jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    xN does NOT subdivide the LP mesh automatically.
    You should use it already subdivided a few times ( 1-2 ).

In case you produced the HP mesh just subdividing your base LP mesh and scuplting it, pls consider the MatchUV option.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    xNormal is baking the height information for each vertex in the low poly, the reason why hightmaps from programs like (for example) knald, or substance designer seem a lot smoother, is because they're creating the height map from a normalmap, not from the low poly mesh itself.