Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Sim Anim Test

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Hito interpolator
GWS3 started with a simulated NaughtyDog animation test. Climb up a ladder, cross a small platform then get to a lower platform on the other side. 1 perspective and 1 cinematic camera. as far as one can get in 8 hrs.

This is where I'm at for 8hrs. gonna take to 24hrs and see what I have. Any feedback appreciated

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4O3cxU5xnM[/ame]

Thanks!

Replies

• SuperSoupy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperSoupy polycounter lvl 5
    Looking like a solid blockout! Nice! Really good that you can get all that out in 8 hours. Nice actions too.

As far as taking things further goes, I would slow a lot of this down. Your poses are all in place but before you can go in to strengthen and break them down, it's worth taking a few moments to go over the timing a bit. The climb at the top of the ladder seems to quick, and the same for the following transition into the knee-aiming pose. She goes into that too fast I think it needs a bit more of a settle.

Pose-wise, when she falls into the roll, I would stretch out her 'drop' pose to be a bit more straight. Just exaggerate it a bit, when she goes into the roll it might bring out a more dynamic transition.

Lastly, on the ladder climb, she stumbles half-way up. But the action appears as if she stops, looks down at her feet, then slips. Kind of how a biker looks down at his feet before revving the pedal. Like it's expected. The slip should happen straight away, then the rest of her body reacts to that.

Overall though it's looking solid, and is a tidy effort for such a short time. Keep going and all the best!
  • Intermission14
    I agree with slowing it down a bit. She's flying up that ladder super quick. Great start man!
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Thanks for the pointers!

12 hrs... Time to move on.
    addressed the spacing issues, definitely the weakest aspect. Fixed the slip. Adjusted the fall/touch down pose. fixed the camera moves a bit too. Fingers and some overlap stuff.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ujQwJwleI[/ame]
  • linwail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linwail polycounter lvl 5
    It is looking much better! i have to say the cut to where she is crouched looks a little strange. maybe add a pause before you cut to the next view. So add a few seconds of her crouching then switch camera views and hold the pose a little more then continue with the animation
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    it looks so cool!! maybe the ladder part looks strange because she is making a weird kick down and that result in a pop :)
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    The timing on the cut is easily fixed. it is a bit too late.

@Arturow, what kick down do you mean? In the regular steps or the bit before she climbs over the top?
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    @Hito , the first ones specially in his right leg but when I look it again , it may be because I am not watching his entire leg in the camera , maybe my brain is tricking me :P
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    *Edited last post with new render

@Arturow Ok I see what you mean. Yeah there's full extension in the knees. I might have to give it more time at full extension for it to not read as a pop, I'll play with it.

Alright... maybe not... something really F'ed with the file... nope nevermind. fixed it.
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    LOL you had some problems over there :P! and yeah the camera was tricking me, that looks sick!