Home Contests & Challenges Archives Game Art Workshops

Workshop #1 - Racer445

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
s339qh.jpg

Not really liking my model right now. I need to redo a bunch of stuff today, especially the screws. I did most of this last night at like 1 am but didn't get a chance to post it until now.

Replies

• mdeforge
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Nice job so far, it doesn't really show off your workflow though. Could you post some wires or something?
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry it totally slipped my mind :P

Some things of note: I used the shell modifier for the first time to make the outer cover thingy. I never even knew this modifier existed, what a time saver! After I used the shell mod I added an edit poly modifier and added in all the support edges, and used chamfer on the holes to get that nice edge bevel.

The screws I had a hard time with. After a while I just decided to look at EQ's obj file and I based mine off of his.

For the star shaped screw things on the side I used the text tool and placed an asterisk, then cut out the center of a circle, bridged the asterisk and the circle together, and did bevel/inset to get it to bump in. On the rear panel, the top two screws use a similar method for the screw indents.

A large portion of the rear panel detail is floating, although I went back in and made the top two screw holes built in. It just looked better that way.

here's an obj file

There is some nasty pinching on the battery cover (the rounded front bit), and I wasted like an hour trying to fix it. Anyone have any ideas?

2ir2r2h.jpg
    zbes1.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    A little random here, but one of the coolest things about floaters, is you can use them to quickly block in your details. And if you feel like it will really improve the mesh, when you have everything finished you can go in and chop those floaters into your mesh, this will save you from starting out with a messy mesh, finishing with a messy mesh is cool as long as you're not making major changes.

What pinching are you reffering to specifically, it looks good to me at first glance.
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much done.

Obj file

29mabo4.jpg
    2rptqpd.jpg
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    What pinching are you reffering to specifically, it looks good to me at first glance.

At the front lip thingy. Take a look at the OBJ file at the top, it should be fine I think.

2lasbd4.jpg
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought this should go in its own post. This is my new method for doing text. It's really easy but needs to be redone for each instance of text.

tut_1.jpg

tut_2.jpg
  • igi
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    good technique...but i have a question...How do you connect the text model to the buttons...is there any easy way to do it?...or just putting them onto it like floater?
  • OBlastradiusO
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great. I like the way you did the glass casing.
  • EarthQuake
    igi wrote: »
    good technique...but i have a question...How do you connect the text model to the buttons...is there any easy way to do it?...or just putting them onto it like floater?

Floaters
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Racer445: Nice model!

Did you check out my text tutorial in my thread here? Seems like it would be a lot faster than the method you show here, and more editable. Thanks for sharing anyway! :)