Home Technical Talk

Introducing Knald - Open Beta!

Replies

• kaptainkernals
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    This is awesome! Super quick too, and easy to use. No unnecessary complication.
  • Treboras
    Offline / Send Message
    Treboras polycounter lvl 12
    The program is quite awesome as it is, but it would be nice to show AO on top of diffuse in the preview
  • BertR
    Offline / Send Message
    BertR polycounter lvl 7
    Would love to try it. It completely freezes my laptop however.
    First time I've started it gave me an error report and closed, the times after that, it - like I said - completely freezes my system.
  • Caldria
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    Grats andy on the release! fantatic tool, so fast and so much control. Loved using it, and looking forward to using it in future projects!
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    looks sweet! going to try this when I get home...
  • WayneAdams
    Right now.. if I try to load a normal, height or color map the program freezes and stops responding.. this is on a windows 7 64 bit machine.

sorry if this has been posted already. I just downloaded it this morning at 7:20 Eastern time.
  • Kazperstan
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    This looks neat! time to texture all the things
  • KartoonHead
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    Looks great but it doesn't work on my system at all. Instant crash when I start it up, UI flashes up then it dies. Fails to send an error report unless run as admin.
  • pestibug
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome to see it released Andy congratulations to all who worked on it :D Amazing app!
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Aw yeeeeeeeeeeah!

Worked great on my old gpu. Can't wait to see how blazing fast Knald is on my new one. I expect it to process things before I've even hit the button ;)
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Just want to let you know that Systamentec have Knald blacklisted as it is. Tells me "WS.Reputation.1". Bullshit, but it doesn't let me run the setup and IT is on my ass about it ;)
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    A while ago I was complaining about cavity maps and Andy took my normal map and gave me back the nicest bakes I could never have gotten. He was adamant that a wizard did it, but now I can peg the results to this program I am very excited to try it!
  • JustGarry
    Offline / Send Message
    JustGarry polycounter lvl 4
    This is seriously amazing guys, great job, no need to purchase CrazyBump now :)
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    JustGarry wrote: »
    This is seriously amazing guys, great job, no need to purchase CrazyBump now :)

My thoughts exactly. Trying to steer my crazybump friends to this :)
  • matt luxton
    Offline / Send Message
    matt luxton polycounter lvl 12
    this is awesome
  • glaive
  • mediochrea
    Offline / Send Message
    mediochrea polycounter lvl 10
    This is so damn impressive. I wish I owned an appropriate GPU...
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey everyone,
    Thanks so much for all the very kind words. :D I can't tell you how good it feels to have so many people using Knald after it being under wraps for the last year! <3

For everyone who was having problems with the empty cart issue and various other browser specific problems. Everything should be working ok now so please shout up if you are having problems :)

Also, people who are having issues with Knald, please make sure you are running as admin and have the latest drivers for you card installed...A clean install would be best (uninstall the drivers> reboot> install the drivers).

If that still doesnt work, please make sure you post your hardware specs. and OS and we will take a look to see what the problem might be. :)
    ceebee wrote: »
    The LP AO feature is awesome! Do you think there's any way you can have it support tesselation/heightmaps applied to the low poly too so you can get broader AO on smaller details (ie belts, large folds, etc) without having to use the high resolution geo? Would save a lot of time if the only thing you had to bake was the normal map :]
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'm not sure if this might help, but you can actually run the LP AO on meshes that are up to 2m tris, so as long as the UVs are the same as the low res mesh you have, you could get some pretty good results from that.
    Quack! wrote: »
    Great job guys, this seems great, I can't wait until all maps are generated in real time, I loathe rendering.

A few suggestions that may have been mentioned:

1. When using the file browser it defaults to the Knald folder. Can it remember the last folder you used so when working with multiple files I don't have to go hunting every time?

2. I couldn't get rectangular textures to work, are they supported?

3. Can there be a 'copy to clipboard' button for each of the maps? I would prefer to not export files and bloat a directory when I will just save them in my .psd file.

4. Can AO be baked from the tesselated low poly? If so that will give some great results.

Can't wait to see about integrating this into my workflow.

Thanks for the comments!

1. Knald should already remember the last folder you used to open a normal map etc. but you are not seeing this? Can you post your OS and system specs please?
    2. 2:1/1:2 textures are fully supported and should work perfectly. What size are you trying to use?
    3.We are currently looking for a solution to that - stay posted!
    4. Yes! You can currently use a mesh of around 2m tris with the LP AO feature as long as the UVs are the same as the LP mesh you are using for your game res. :)
    Can't connect to license server and activate. Disabled Norton firewal - didn't help.

jWoHm1R.jpg

Win7 x64
    running in admin mode
    animax wrote: »
    Features looks awesome !

Downloaded the beta. I am also having the same issue slipgatecentral.

Are you running windows behind a another firewall or proxy?
    divi wrote: »
    interesting, definitely a great choice for doing curvature. just wish i could feed it normals and displacement at the same time and not have it generate one of those since it's not giving me optimal results if it's only using one. or at least i havent figured out how to do that :D

other than that - super fast and will hopefully create curvature without seams on baked models? :D only tried it on a tiling texture for now.

Currently you cant load both normals and displacement at the same time, but if you load a height map that is baked from the HP mesh, you should get some great results :)
    Doesn't want to authenticate, possible issue with proxies / firewalls ?

We are working on a fix for that atm. Stay posted!
    Treboras wrote: »
    The program is quite awesome as it is, but it would be nice to show AO on top of diffuse in the preview
    Noted! Thanks for the suggestion!
    BertR wrote: »
    Would love to try it. It completely freezes my laptop however.
    First time I've started it gave me an error report and closed, the times after that, it - like I said - completely freezes my system.
    WayneAdams wrote: »
    Right now.. if I try to load a normal, height or color map the program freezes and stops responding.. this is on a windows 7 64 bit machine.

sorry if this has been posted already. I just downloaded it this morning at 7:20 Eastern time.
    Looks great but it doesn't work on my system at all. Instant crash when I start it up, UI flashes up then it dies. Fails to send an error report unless run as admin.

Do you all have the latest drivers for your card and are running the program as admin?
    If they don't work, could you please post your hardware specs. and OS please?
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    Just want to let you know that Systamentec have Knald blacklisted as it is. Tells me "WS.Reputation.1". Bullshit, but it doesn't let me run the setup and IT is on my ass about it ;)

Thanks for the heads up! I took a look into that and apparently it is a crowd based reputation system and not the regular kind of detection. It seems that you are getting this error because Knald is new and therefore unknown by Systamentec and thus listed and risky. I'm not sure there is anything that we can do about that apart from people who get the message flagging it as safe/or Knald becoming more well known over time and our status getting better as a result of that.
    Sorry! :(
    http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2010-051308-1854-99
  • Aardschok
    Splendid work, really! I think this will replace my use of xNormal for a large part. I like the control of every map :) Great job!
  • Kbrom12
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    Downloaded, installed, and working great. I'll be sure to feed some of my work through this...so far I like it, definitely better than crazybump so far.
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks for the heads up! I took a look into that and apparently it is a crowd based reputation system and not the regular kind of detection. It seems that you are getting this error because Knald is new and therefore unknown by Systamentec and thus listed and risky. I'm not sure there is anything that we can do about that apart from people who get the message flagging it as safe/or Knald becoming more well known over time and our status getting better as a result of that.
    Sorry! :(
    http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2010-051308-1854-99

I saw that as well, apparently you can send a request to them to further investigate and white list it. I can't do anything more with it here at work, I'll just end up with my PC quarantined by IT ;)

[Edit] Found this https://submit.symantec.com/whitelist/
  • chaosblade
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Looks Great! Works Great!

Thanks guys! looking forward to using this on my next piece.

- BoBo
  • RogerP
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    Played with it for a brief moment last night and it looks awesome, by the way thanks for the tutorial on how to use it properly...most of the time it's not included with other programs of the same kind, even though Knald looks pretty intuitive.
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Got home and tried it out with some messy, messy data. I'm feeding it shit and it's giving me gold! Or at least something gold plated :D
  • slipgatecentral
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    Are you running windows behind a another firewall or proxy?

I'm not sure, the only antivirus software I installed was Norton, I've disabled firewall to make Knald connect to license server, but apparently something else blocks it. Don't think it's my ISP - never had this problem before with anything else. Not using proxy either.

Any hints of where I should check? Maybe router settings has something to do with it?
  • mediochrea
    Offline / Send Message
    mediochrea polycounter lvl 10
    BsZBTFO.png

Your daily reminder that Chrome logs and processes downloads from all users. We love Big Brother!
  • BertR
    Offline / Send Message
    BertR polycounter lvl 7
    Do you all have the latest drivers for your card and are running the program as admin?
    If they don't work, could you please post your hardware specs. and OS please?

Yes, latest drivers installed and started as admin.
    Specs:
    AMD HD 7970M
    i7-3610QM
    16gb ram
    tried installing on both SSD and 'normal' HDD.
    Running on Windows 7 x64

Thanks in advance :)
  • Popeye9
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    Loving it so far!
  • Visceral
    mediochrea wrote: »
    BsZBTFO.png

Your daily reminder that Chrome logs and processes downloads from all users. We love Big Brother!

I had this aswell.
  • KartoonHead
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    still not working, here are my pathetic specs :(
    Windows 7 32-bit
    4GB RAM installed (3.25 usable)
    AMD Athlon II X4 620
    Radeon HD4870
  • z3phon
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon polycounter lvl 12
    getting the OpenCL error.
    error initializing openCL
    Please make sure your graphics card supports OpenCL 1.1 or later
    My laptop specs
    Windows 8
    i7-3610QM
    16GB Ram
    GTX 670M (latest drivers installed)
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I found that copying and pasting the licence key directly from google chrome does not work, but if you paste into notepad and then copy that and paste it into knald it works!
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey everyone!

Thanks again for all the kind words! :)

I just wanted to pop in quickly and say that we are working on a solution for the crashes and authentication issues that some people are having, and that we should have an update soon that address those problems.

Please keep the reports coming in and thanks to the various people who have given their PC specs etc. This data really helps! :)

Cheers!
  • Mik2121
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    It crashes on my PC as well. I boot it up and crashes instantly. I think I accidentally sent you the same crash report like 3 times :P
  • desktoppirate
    Offline / Send Message
    desktoppirate polycounter lvl 11
    I'm getting an issue where the concavity and convexity maps export as the AO instead, anyone else getting this? if I tick both of them and AO they all come out as the same image but they're named correctly so I don't know what the issue is. Same result if I try to export individually as well.

Edit: playing around more, if I loaded in the map and went straight to tick just concavity and nothing else, it would export correct. Then if i tick AO as well, both maps then exported as concavity.
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    I'm getting an issue where the concavity and convexity maps export as the AO instead, anyone else getting this? if I tick both of them and AO they all come out as the same image but they're named correctly so I don't know what the issue is. Same result if I try to export individually as well.
    What are your system specs, including your GPU and OS?
  • TrampledUnderFoot
    Offline / Send Message
    TrampledUnderFoot polycounter lvl 7
    I was just about to post about that issue desktoppirate. Though, for me it seems that whatever map is edited first becomes the one that's saved over everything.

The results I'm seeing are great so far though. Very nice to be able to tweak the maps real time like that. Hopefully the export bug gets fixed soon.

Specs:

Windows 7 64-bit
    6870 ATI card
    AMD Phenom II X4 965
    16GB Ram
  • desktoppirate
    Offline / Send Message
    desktoppirate polycounter lvl 11
    Windows 7 64bit
    ATI HD6950
    Intel i7 2600k
    24gig ramm

I managed to get all the map exported, but for each one i had to reload the normal map inro Knald and make sure just to check that one corresponding box at a time.
  • Jesse Meyer
    First, holy cow. Awesome tool. Thanks for the tremendous work.

dlAibmv.jpg

And forgive my naivety, but could there be any additional processing which could dampen the "clamping"? The image above is a levels snippet from PS after analyzing an exported heightmap from Knald. I think we are losing a bit of depth in the conversion process from NM analyzing. When I adjust the levels in PS, parts get blown out where in the NM the details are fairly well behaved, but I know there is a ton of inferring, so it's an imperfect science.
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    I get an error stating that my card is insufficient and it is going to run in a lower quality mode.

I also can not batch save. If I select 3 maps to export, it exports the top most map, for example AO, to 3 different named files. So instead of 1 AO, 1 Concav, 1 Convex, all named appropriatley, I get 3 files 1 AO, 1 AO, 1 AO, named AO, Convav, Convex.

Vista 64
    Radeon 6850
    Intel Q6600
  • WayneAdams
    I got this working at home.. so my work pc probably just needs driver updates or a kick in the groin..

holy hell.. this program is something else, man. Thank you VERY much.
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    So far it's been great for me, hopefully everybody's problems get straightened out.
    I just wanted to second the Diffuse Preview over AO as well :)
  • geothefaust
    Offline / Send Message
    geothefaust polycounter lvl 9
    Really fantastic tool. It's astonishing how fast it generates all the other maps from a single image (tried a few, found height produces the best results so far).

I'm really enjoying using Knald. So thanks!
  • Treboras
    Offline / Send Message
    Treboras polycounter lvl 12

Edit: playing around more, if I loaded in the map and went straight to tick just concavity and nothing else, it would export correct. Then if i tick AO as well, both maps then exported as concavity.

I had the same issue. Additionally the AO would not update when changing settings. Restart of the program was the solution ...

GTX 560 ti - driver v. 314.22
    Win 7 ult. 64 bit
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Quack! wrote: »
    I get an error stating that my card is insufficient and it is going to run in a lower quality mode.

I also can not batch save. If I select 3 maps to export, it exports the top most map, for example AO, to 3 different named files. So instead of 1 AO, 1 Concav, 1 Convex, all named appropriatley, I get 3 files 1 AO, 1 AO, 1 AO, named AO, Convav, Convex.

Vista 64
    Radeon 6850
    Intel Q6600

this seems to happen more often with AMD cards. i had the exact same issue when i was running a 6950.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Software works great for me!
    i5 2500k
    nvidia gtx 660ti
    win 7

Very legit, already used it on a project.

Love the separate convexity and concavity maps as well as easy AO.

One thing I'd really like is an option to have the 3d view automatically show a preview of the map you have selected on the flat view.
  • Mathew O
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Well done on the release Andy, I can't wait to get home and try it out :D

Do you have any idea what it may cost when it releases?
  • keelhauler
    Offline / Send Message
    keelhauler polycounter lvl 11
    Looking cool! Must try this out.

edit: Seems to be working really well.

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
    Intel Core i7 2600K
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
  • frmdbl
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    I haven't tested it that much, but the AO quality looks amazing compared to nDo2.

I love the name too. Is it in Danish?