Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Forgotten Sands - Environment

Hi Polycount! So, I'm making an environment in UDK based on this concept art from Prince of Persia:

70380princeofpersiathef.jpg

My goal is to eventually recreate that shot as well as I can. So far, here is what I have blocked out:

render01vc.jpg

I'm still fairly new to UDK so any ideas on how to make it look better (especially lighting!) are greatly appreciated! I'm still in the process of modeling the props and modular pieces, but I'm curious if anyone has any ideas for what would be the best texture for the building (marble?) and how the material would be set up. Thanks!

Replies

• Xendance
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Describe your lighting setup. Have you set up a lightmass importance volume around the meshes? Are you using a dominant directional light? Skylight can be found in world properties under lightmass category. It's called "environmental colour" and then there's intensity setting for that.
  • ladyknowles
    Offline / Send Message
    ladyknowles polycounter lvl 7
    Hi strobelite. I really like where you're going with this! As for lighting, LIGHT RAYS! Light rays will be your friend in this scene. Press F4 with your light selected and scroll down or search in the bar at the top for light rays. You can change the bloom tint, radius etc and I think you'd get some nice results, especially if you position them so some of the rays are blocked by the architecture.

I think adding height fog to your scene would also look great (Content Browser ---> Actor Classes ----> Height fog). Remember to bring it high above your scene and play with the settings, sure you'll get some nice results.

You could always do all this now and see how it looks in your scene, it may affect the way you want to do your textures :)

In the concept, theres some arches where you have just pillars. It would be good to get them in because it breaks up the uniformity a bit. What 3D package are you using?

Hope that helps :)
  • Samfisher84
    Offline / Send Message
    Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
    love the concept choice! keep it up
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    I won't repeat what @ladyknowles has said, so I won't! :D

But that block-out is pretty damn nice, I can't wait to see this progress.
  • strobelite
    Hello again polycount! I come bearing progress. Thank you to everyone who responded, and I tried to keep the advice in mind as I worked:

render03.jpg

Still going to tweak the lighting set-up a bit...actually there's still a lot to be tweaked haha. Let me know what I should improve!
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Your architecture is wonderful, but without something else such as the lamp, the reflective floor and fabric in the concept, the scene looks very flat.

How close are you thinking of sticking to the original image?
  • Jhill8
    I wanna see those cloths in there i think they are gonna add a lot also clouds below the towers to give it a real sense of height!