Home Technical Talk

Multiple State Game Prop?

Joshuagilbreath
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Joshuagilbreath polycounter lvl 6
Morning All! I have a question regarding a multiple state game prop.

I am needing to model a bag that is opened and closed. What is the best way to go about this? Do you start with a closed bag and sculpt your detail, export that version. Then (using Zbrush) use a layer and scuplt the bag open, export that version and go about baking your maps and such?

How does that sound, thanks!

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm assuming you're making a leather pouch with a drawstring / garbage bag styled object? Your method is pretty sound, depending on what kind of look you're going for, it might be easier to do open first.

Are there any special requirements for this model, does it need to animate?
  • Joshuagilbreath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshuagilbreath polycounter lvl 6
    I am needing a opened and closed gym bag. The bag does not have to animate open. The only requirement is that you will need to be able to look inside the opended bag to explore its contents.

I have both the open and closed low res, uv'ed bags modeled. I also have the high res sculpt of the closed bag done.

The question I have now is, can I transfer the high res sculpt detail from the closed bag to the open bag?
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I would make a closed bag HP and then take that and use it as the base for the open. Using zbrush to open it up and push geo around. Somewhat of a difficult task actually to have them looking the exact same. You are going to need two different HP's to bake down to LP's. But it all is really circumstantial to tech requirements and gameplay/usage. Cna prob get away just modeling the flap/top of the bag as well as interior if in a first person view